Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Hayward691

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Hayward691 »

Stock is 115 bhp from factory (take a few off for age), can get about 400 town miles from a full tank...
lol
I have the same engine, just modded a bit :P
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:Stock is 115 bhp from factory (take a few off for age), can get about 400 town miles from a full tank...
lol
I have the same engine, just modded a bit :P
Cheers guys...

Saw your motor earlier Hayward in Tesco's at Branksome...Didnt realise it was yours though til Andrei told me...Nice looking motor!!

Anyway heres the pics of my engine:

Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Quick update im afraid as I really aint got a lot done as been skint and the weather is sh*te!!

Few bits to include are clean the ICV as it just dont wanna idle properly and keeps blooding stalling on me which is not only embaressing but dangerous on the roads round my way..lol

Otherwise have a mirror cover for the n/s wing mirror but it still has the guts in it so got to figure out how to get the cover off..Any one?

Got my Cd player in now but still got to do dash lights as cant see any of the heater controls etc after dark!

Only other issue is im unsure on the amount of fuel im using, put 30 quid in (half tank ish) and a run to aldershot from mine is around 80 miles and thats using between an 8th and quarter of a tank cruising at 75 ish on the motorways.

Forgot to add need some grippy new front tyres...lol...No fecking grip in the wet at all, just spins the fronts trying to get away..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I give up on trying to get grip in the wet.... they are crap for it!
the mirror just needs some careful muscle (and glue if it goes wrong lol)
take the idle valve indoors and clean it... 2 secs to get it of and put on...
Who needs dash lights.... I only have from 0-30ish mph illuminated :P
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:I only have from 0-30ish mph illuminated :P
Great excuse if you ever get pulled then mate....lol

Know what you mean about grip, these 2 litres seem to torque steer like a bitch too. Guess I will get used to it over time and wanna drop it a little when money allows..

Keep meaning to park up next to yours Hayward and take a pic, always doing me shopping in Branksome Tesco..lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Finally an update...lol

To be honest with the shite weather recently I havent managed to do much at all, in fact I aint even washed her since buying her some couple of months back so first job this friday is a major wash & wax job with a quick interior valet.

One job I did get done the other night was I managed to seperate the n/s wing mirror cover from its internals I got from Daimo (Cheers bud!) after soaking it in hot water and fairy liquid it finally seperated so heres a quick pic of it fitted:

Looking filthy like the rest of the car im afraid, motorway miles aint helping the cause...lol

Also has anyone ever seen these rims before?

They have a Vauxhall badge on them but dunno if this has been added as an after thought its just that the previous owners son lost the centre cap off one and I cant find one to save my life.

Next jobs once we get some lighter evenings I still need to clean my ICV as idle is still a bitch and I should probably check the plugs and contacts etc at the same time, may also need a Water Temp Sensor I think or atleast flush all the old water out and replace it as Tempreture flys up as soon as its sat still for more than a minute or two.

Apart from that I still want to add some better speakers and have some Magnat Bulldogs sat at home which in their day were amazing speakers and I need some new 6 x 9's or I am toying with doing a custome fit on some 6 x 4 speakers in the rear original positions curtosy of a mdf build.

Still need some clear repeaters as well, I have some off a mk4 astra but too bulky for the Cav I think and on the look out for some Gsi rear clusters and a decent twin backbox just to make it look a bit tidyer.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Go for a custom build!!!!!
Nothing better than some back massageing bass!!!!!! :D :D :D
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hayward691 wrote:Go for a custom build!!!!!
Nothing better than some back massageing bass!!!!!! :D :D :D
True, just remember to leave the spare wheel accessible :D :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Squig

Post by Squig »

or remove and replace with that holts tire inflater/puncture repair
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

What if you happen to be more than 100 miles from the nearest garage on a sunday morning, cell phone battery out, you have a flat-out and find a perfectly usable spare wheel in the trunk? A good spare will always give you longer range than the tyre repair foam :)
But I must agree with one perspective. All those trips I took in the Cavs, and found no need for a spare wheel/ tyre repair foam.. made me think... all that extra weight I carried... It's a bit of a gamble to be honest. :|
Andrei.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
planetc

Post by planetc »

Squig wrote:or remove and replace with that holts tire inflater/puncture repair
Which is useless if you have a hole in the sidewall, and if the car was originally supplied with a spare you may very well get a bill from your breakdown insurer if you call them out. Don't get caught 100 miles from home at 3am without a spare, it gets expensive.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Squig

Post by Squig »

Ahh in that scenario I have family and friends to inconvenience :lol:

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

sod off squig carry a spare.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Gaz wrote:sod off squig carry a spare.
You have been told...lol

I always have a spare in the boot, now whether its actually inflated or in road worthy condition thats another question..lol

Spent a good two hours earlier giving the old girl a wash then a full on wax with good old turtle wax, looks really nice now but f**kin computer won't let me plug in my camera for some bizarre reason so afraid no pics at moment... :wall
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

its normally muggins here who has to come to the rescue when he breaks down, bit like at work when a car needs jump starting its cav to the rescue.
Squig

Post by Squig »

Not always Gaz... only since the recovery I had ran out... and no cash to renew yet.

Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I carry a spare... Believe it or not lol!!!
takes me a little while to get to it though :P

Im quite taken with the idea of converting to a cradel under the rear like the french cars... alot of work though...

OR... just work the install around the spare wheel....
So many ways to sort it :D
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Chris, how about this for an idea? Because your layout is on a piece of MDF, why not cut around the spare wheel, cut out the carpet, only enough for access, and when you don't need the wheel, just leave the section in place, when you do need the wheel, just pull it out. That way you won't have to mess around with the bodywork, or have to take out the whole MDF piece to get to the wheel.
What do you reckon?
Andrei.

P.S. sorry to hijack the thread, Mike.
Previous:

planetc

Post by planetc »

Squig wrote:Not always Gaz... only since the recovery I had ran out... and no cash to renew yet.
Can pay monthly squig
Squig

Post by Squig »

it's just finding a spare £40 for the one I use

Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm getting a distant alien message telling me that we're slightly getting off topic here guys...

This is supposed to be about Mike's Cav :D
Previous:

planetc

Post by planetc »

Ah yes, nice green, always liked that colour ;)
Squig

Post by Squig »

Clean silver brake calipers... very nice :D

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Thanks Andrei...lol

Now you slags have stopped ya bitchin..

On the whole wheel subject I have not only given up on trying to find out what the feck they are as now realise they are multifit which probably means aftermarket, ie not a hope in hell of ever finding the correct centre cap.. :cry:

And to top it off one of them now in my boot as got a feckin puncture so driving around on a well scabby looking steelie to I can get a new tyre sorted.. :cry:

Hopefully get some proper work done on it soon as on duty now for next 24 days straight which is horrible but pays well...lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well an update at last (not a good one though..:-(...)

The Cav and me have had some arguments and have been seriously considering selling her on but yesterday I actually found some hope for her..

As she sat outside my girlfriends flat looking filthy and not in a grrrr sexy way I decided it was time to treat the old girl so I jumped in along with my Mrs and shot round to the local ARC car wash, now checking out the prices £3.70 seemed amazing for a wash and hot wax with underbody wash thrown in..

Now I know why:-

They are the most incompetant ****s I have ever met, first off the guy near snapped off my aerial as it slid back down then as we went through the carwash there was a loud bang and thinking omg what the feck was that my girlfriend just pointed as I saw my electric mirror being smashed against the side of my car by the brushes..

Luckily the electrics held out otherwise is would have probably smashed my n/s passenger window causing injury to my mrs, as soon as it ended I pulled up and checked it out to see it had sheared off the plastic clips..

Telling the no speaky english attendant he just shrugged like why should I care til I threatened to sue them then the claims form appeared and now I am awaiting them contacting me regarding my claim..

Been to vauxhall today as I wanted a quote for the mirror and with the glass, body of the mirror and motor it comes to £214.00 excluding fitting and spraying of the cover so a big bill for them!!

On a more positive note I went to Aldershot car breakers & Part worn Tyre warehouse earlier and picked up two stupidly small 195/65/14's for £32.00 with a 20% discount from the local paper, the guys could not be more helpfull and as soon as I sort money out I will be back up there as they can sort me a decent set of rims for the Cav for sensible money.

They also said they would be able to get me some lowering springs and other bits I want for the car and give me some decent prices for cash as they seem to all be Vauxhall nuts up there which helps loads!!

Still having running issues though and stalls at lights as revs drop too low??? Presuming its the ICV currently but now suggested it could be the Airflow meter or hoses so some investigation is required asap, any ideas give me a shout please as this is my first 2 litre and im a little lost with it...

Im also on MK3oc.com the MK3 Astra site so if you also on there you will see my diary double up...Saves typing it twice... :lol: