Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Envoy CDX »

Splits in the hose from the air flow meter to the inlet will cause issues, and not uncommon.
After that, recheck and reclean the ICV ensuring you re-oil it before fitting.
Then check vaccum pipes for leaks or blockages.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
planetc

Post by planetc »

If it's a 16v then it's probably either a sticky iac or the throttle body needs a good clean. If the airflow through the butterfly is too low the iac doesn't open quick enough to stop it stalling. In the workshop I used to drill out the boltholes on the tps and reset the throttle body so that it would just run with a hot engine and the tps disconnected. Then reset the tps to give idle voltage, which requires a way to read ecu data.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

planetc wrote:If it's a 16v then it's probably either a sticky iac or the throttle body needs a good clean. If the airflow through the butterfly is too low the iac doesn't open quick enough to stop it stalling. In the workshop I used to drill out the boltholes on the tps and reset the throttle body so that it would just run with a hot engine and the tps disconnected. Then reset the tps to give idle voltage, which requires a way to read ecu data.
Cheers mate but its a 8v....C20NE...2.0i 8v
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Envoy CDX wrote:Splits in the hose from the air flow meter to the inlet will cause issues, and not uncommon.
Cheers mate, will be pulling all hoses bar main water hoses off I think at the weekend while at work if I get chance..

Aint done ICV as yet but got a mate with a spare one if I need it!!

None a major issue as she runs ok most of the time its just the other times when she acts like a bitch, normally on the busiest junctions as well....Typical Vaux.. :lol:
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
planetc

Post by planetc »

Can usually tell if 8v iac is sticking, give it a clump with the back end of a screwdriver, the idle will dance about if it was sticky.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

planetc wrote:Can usually tell if 8v iac is sticking, give it a clump with the back end of a screwdriver, the idle will dance about if it was sticky.
IAC??? Did you mean ICV???
planetc

Post by planetc »

Same thing, I know it as idle air control.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

planetc wrote:Same thing, I know it as idle air control.
Cool cool :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Mikebmth wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Splits in the hose from the air flow meter to the inlet will cause issues, and not uncommon.
Cheers mate, will be pulling all hoses bar main water hoses off I think at the weekend while at work if I get chance..

Aint done ICV as yet but got a mate with a spare one if I need it!!

None a major issue as she runs ok most of the time its just the other times when she acts like a bitch, normally on the busiest junctions as well....Typical Vaux.. :lol:
Just make sure you note where they came from ;) and be prepared to dig if you pull too hard - some of those hoses will be brittle and could well be the cause of your issue.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

[quote="Envoy CDX]
Just make sure you note where they came from ;) and be prepared to dig if you pull too hard - some of those hoses will be brittle and could well be the cause of your issue.[/quote]

Prepared to dig???

Anyway I will be doing them one by one I think, going to try and get a few bits done tommorow but already know I have to replace the rocker cover gasket but cant get to Vaux or anywhere that may stock them today as working up until 6pm..
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well best laid plans and all that....lol....Weather forecasters know nothing obviously as said it would be dry in the south east today and its pitch black out and about to pour with rain again!!

Anyway just a quick update:

Been down to buy some dark smoke side repeaters from local tuning guys in aldershot Edge Performance in aldershot http://www.edge-performance.co.uk

Also got my can of Foliatec light tinting spray so once the weather sorts itself out I will be putting on repeaters and then spraying centre sections of rear lights and reflectors Gsi style I hope..lol

Still need to go get a rocker cover gasket set and get the mesh filter checked out but the idling problem still goes on, have found now if I give it no gas on start up it idles like a tractor for a few seconds then it settles at around 900 rpm.

I did try tapping the ICV with engine off at first then with it on and revs shot upto about 2500rpm and sat there til I turned the engine off, upon turning it back on the idle settled at around 900 rpm ish which according to haynes is still +100 rpm above what it should be but as long as it runs properly thats cool by me.

Will get some pixs up soon as weather clears up and I do some work on her...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Been right busy all day today after sleeping in til half 11 anyways...lol

So here goes with loads of pics too!!

First off tried to fit new Smoke Black Side Repeaters, told they were plug and play as such but they so obviously aint..

Any help on fitting them appreciated!! Do I have to cut wires to fit these onto them????

PLUG FOR FITTING

SIDE REPEATERS (SMOKED)

Second job was to remove rear lights and boot panel to spray indi sections on both!!

Have to say that Cavvy rear lights are so much easier to get on and off than on my old Mk3 Astra when I fitted GSi's on it, anyway here goes with more pics!!

Cavvy standard rear

Smokey lights..lol

Refitted...Sorry about lighting quality...Dont have a decent photo editior!!

Dead easy to do really but Foliatec's paint is rubbish..Despite what I paid for it!!

Put about 4 coats over the rears and lights still show through perfectly well but paint very waterry and thin, shook can for ages and thickened it out a bit but got bubbles while spraying it on so had to smooth them down and blow over them again..

Did them inside as well and I would not recommend it as the pain stinks really badly and stains like fudge!! Also I would say wear plastic gloves if you are gonna do it as I said it stains and getting it off your skin involves a scrubbing brush and loads of swarfega or fairy liquid with salt in...

May put up a how 2 on this as have loads more pics but didnt wanna make my build diary too Jpeg heavy..
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Alright mate, Side repeaters are a piece of piss. The first mod I did on my car. (Tho I have since put back to standard shape but grey to suit the turbo rear panel.)

You need to chop the old bulb housing off, Careful you dont let the wires fall back into wheel arch, I'd do one at a time. Then you need to fit a tiny spade connector to the wire. I used the negative part of a Speaker wire. The spade connector will fit your new bulb housing. Then cut the second wire off and repeat process. Afterwards Wrap sh@t loads of insulation tape around the wires and housing to stop water getting in and shorting out the light.

You may need to cut a lug off the new lens to make it fit.

Job done.
C30XE
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

HAIRIBO wrote:Alright mate, Side repeaters are a piece of piss. The first mod I did on my car. (Tho I have since put back to standard shape but grey to suit the turbo rear panel.)

You need to chop the old bulb housing off, Careful you dont let the wires fall back into wheel arch, I'd do one at a time. Then you need to fit a tiny spade connector to the wire. I used the negative part of a Speaker wire. The spade connector will fit your new bulb housing. Then cut the second wire off and repeat process. Afterwards Wrap sh@t loads of insulation tape around the wires and housing to stop water getting in and shorting out the light.

You may need to cut a lug off the new lens to make it fit.

Job done.
Sweet...Cheers mate :thumb

That can be a job for the weekend when I get home to Bournemouth and pull out me tool kit.. :lol:
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I cut and soldered my repeaters :)
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hayward691 wrote:I cut and soldered my repeaters :)
Would say bring your soldering iron sunday mate but sure I will have it done way before...lol

Got a whole box of leccy wiring and terminals at home!!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Mini Update...lol

Managed to fit my side repeaters which should have been easy but it was a bitch as the cabling on the drivers o/s was very short, everytime I tried to crimp on the connectors the wire slipped and disappered into the wing... :wall

Anyways they are on now and I think they look really good against the dark green paintwork.

Next jobs are to be:

Flush the radiator and water system
Fit new rocker cover gasket
Fit new Thermostat

Also found out that the alloys were made by a now defunct company you should all know of MiM alloys, there the ones who did the Bmw multispokes on the old 3 series.

They went out of business about 15 years ago I found out from a Ford (ergh..lol) forum via google so no chance of ever finding a centre cap!!
planetc

Post by planetc »

Just read through here, if that idle went up when you hit the iac then it's definitely sticking, soak in carb cleaner for a day and get in there with a toothbrush. You can sometimes get them clean enough, but often once sticky they end up being replaced because cleaning only lasts a couple of weeks.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

planetc wrote:Just read through here, if that idle went up when you hit the iac then it's definitely sticking, soak in carb cleaner for a day and get in there with a toothbrush. You can sometimes get them clean enough, but often once sticky they end up being replaced because cleaning only lasts a couple of weeks.

Cheers mate :thumb

Probably have to try and find one for sensible money as they are well expensive brand new!! May go ask 2Cavs...lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well a kinda update.....

Provisionally put the Cav up for sale as considering going back to an Astra again as even though they have caused me so much grief in the past there is so much more out there for them..

Finding the whole Cav scene difficult, parts dont seem to be available or if they are they are very expensive and besides these long old Cavs just dont handle...

On another note I have been offered a set of 17" 5 spoke rims with decent tyres etc off a mate who had them on his mk4 astra up until last week or so..

Then it will need lowering etc that looks like a nightmare job...lol...

Also I think its going to need bushes and probably a ball joint on the n/s front so if it dont sell or I change my mind I will be dropping it eventually and sorting out the suspension so it dont wobble like me after a night on the JD..
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well how 24hours changes the way you think huh....lol

Now not selling the Cav, in fact quite the opposite..Gonna underseal her, do new thermostat and flush radiator etc..

Been given some -40mm rear springs but need to find some fronts...And before you start moaning I know I should change the shocks at the same time but im skint so will be springs only for time being!!

Contacted my mate about the 17's and think they out of my price range for the moment at least which is a bit shitty but hey needs must huh..

Wanna try and add some more of Foliatecs shitty paint to my back lights as I have decided they look rubbish at the moment, any one with any Gsi ph.2's for sale please mail me!!

Will post some pics when work commences...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well what can I say....

Bloody Vauxhalls!!!!!!!!

Me and Andrei set down to doing some work on my Cavvy on friday and managed to flush the system which can only be described as liquid diarhorea, smelt just as bad as well!!

Cleaned the Icv partially and then cleaned up the breathers and water pipes just to make sure she would run sweet once re-assembled.

Then came the Thermostats turn to cause me a major headache and make Andrei late for work (much respect mate!)..

As we started Andrei showed me his Blue Cav that ony has 2 bolts in Thermostat housing and said they do quite often snap! Major precautions were taken like soaking every bolt in Plus Gas which I prefer to Wd40 anyway and as carefull as we were in very slowly removing the bolts the first one came out no issues, the second instantly sheared its head and the 3rd was coming but it suddenly stopped and with one more turn snapped..

We tried everything we could get our hands on to get them out and they wouldnt budge an inch or even a mil, so the car is off the road and as I write this I am awaiting a call from a mechanic friend who is gonna take a look and see what he can do..

Any suggestions welcome but I dont own any easy-outs or a power drill even so I am hoping my mate can remove them so I can get her back on the road..
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

if there is room use a grinder to cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver to wind it out but do it as soon as you stop grinding the heat helps it come out
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Hope you get it sorted soon mate!!!!
I got a set of -60mm that i need some spring compressors for lol...

Its a very much Love/Hate relationship with a Cav...
Just keep at it!!!!

:D
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Gaz wrote:if there is room use a grinder to cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver to wind it out but do it as soon as you stop grinding the heat helps it come out
One is flat Gaz, no body to it other is the bottom one and totally seized in im afraid....The mechanic I spoke to didnt wanna do it...

Got a guy coming round tommorow night to look at it, he's on here username Supersport..

Otherwise being doing some research and found a bonding that I am considering using but thats inbetween me and the world now...lol

Chris - I aint got no spring compressers dude a mate from Wimborne was gonna do my fitting for me, he is on the Astra mk3 site I am on also..