Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by James McGrath »

I'm finding myself thinking about buying other cars more and more frequently.

Not because I want a change or anything. I think I love my Cavaliers more than ever at the moment.
But that's just the problem, I'm worried about them being damaged.
I'm also acutely aware that parts and good mechanics who know them well are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Trouble is, I can't find any cars that appeal to me.
I want something cheaper to run than the Cavalier (that eliminates a hell of a lot!), just as practical and also fun to drive.
I keep on finding myself looking at 20+ year old cars that will put me straight back into the position that I'm in now!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hey people if there is anyone left on here...Lol

Well Bmw ownership is stupidly expensive and in a year I have spent £1200 so far on clutch, flywheel, suspension and braking systems and it still needs another 4-500 spending on it so I am strongly considering tracking down my Cav, I miss it, retro cool and never let me down however the lad who has it has let it sit now near 6 months so trying to find some funds to possibly buy it back....Shhhh don't tell the mrs and then get rid of the Bmw and get an Astra or something for daily duties

However

I now have a lifelong shoulder injury thanks to my work and am now unemployed for a bit but don't be surprised if the Cav reappears, even if it sits on my driveway, I miss my Cav :cry
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

There are still a few of the "old' faces on here, but times change.
Depends how far back you want to go.

If you are talking more than 10 years ago, then just a few of us still knocking about.
Myself, Envoy CDX, James McGrath, and a few others.

I think all "modern" cars are very expensive to keep.
Dual mass flywheels, complex ECU systems etc.

Bodywork and rust-proofing for the most part should be much better.

But if you want "character" then you do need an older car with charm and indeviduality.
We all know that Cavaliers want attention more often, but parts are generally cheaper and easier to repair or replace without the need for expensive tools or diagnostic kit.
And 90% is pretty well DIY.

Go on - you know you want your old Cavalier back again.
Your missus will understand if she realises how much you would be saving on parts. :)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Hi Mike, long time no see :wave

Seems like everyone in the south left at around the same time. I miss the days of frequent southern meet ups.
Fingers crossed you can track your old one down and convince the owner to sell.
Do you know where it is?

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, what happened?
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Hey James, I was delivering boxes of paper and tendons etc just decided to give up :o

As for the Cav I'm pretty sure the lad I sold it to still has it but no mot on the gov website however is on Sorn, see how it goes, trying to find a new job first then I'll deal with hunting it down
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Robsey wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:10 pm There are still a few of the "old' faces on here, but times change.
Depends how far back you want to go.

If you are talking more than 10 years ago, then just a few of us still knocking about.
Myself, Envoy CDX, James McGrath, and a few others.

I think all "modern" cars are very expensive to keep.
Dual mass flywheels, complex ECU systems etc.

Bodywork and rust-proofing for the most part should be much better.

But if you want "character" then you do need an older car with charm and indeviduality.
We all know that Cavaliers want attention more often, but parts are generally cheaper and easier to repair or replace without the need for expensive tools or diagnostic kit.
And 90% is pretty well DIY.

Go on - you know you want your old Cavalier back again.
Your missus will understand if she realises how much you would be saving on parts. :)
Rust proofing would be nice but nah, it's a bmw and they rot badly underneath, fast and comfortable but geeez are parts expensive!