Mikes 2.0 Gls

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Mikes 2.0 Gls

Post by Envoy CDX »

Take the belt and belt cover off, unbolt the thermostat housing and take it to an engineering place, get it drilled out and retapped.

It'll probably save you more hassle in the long run.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Envoy CDX wrote:Take the belt and belt cover off, unbolt the thermostat housing and take it to an engineering place, get it drilled out and retapped.

It'll probably save you more hassle in the long run.
No problem now hopefully found a mechanic that is capable of drilling and re-tapping the housing, just means a rad out, grille out and headlight out job!!
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mikebmth wrote: rad out, grille out and headlight out job!!
10 minutes :thumb
That sure was a fun event. well, not good fun if you know what I mean... I love working on Cavaliers, but when a bolt shears, there's not much you can do. My auto has only two bolts holding the stat on but it hasn't leaked a drop. My plan now is to replace those damn bolts annually. Bolts are pennies but save so much hassle if they come out in one piece. Well hopefully you'll have her back on the road soon mate. In the mean time if you need any more help, let me know. I got wednesday, friday and saturday free, althouth I suspect you're working then.
Andrei.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well.............

VAUXHALLS ARE A FKING PAIN IN THE ARSE!!

Unfortunetly the mechanic I had round also snapped a drill bit in the housing now and basically its fudgery!! Waiting on a mate who breaks vauxhalls to get me a new Thermostat Housing Unit and then its a belt off job...

I am rapidly losing patience and money and if the Cav was worth more I would repair and sell it but they aint worth dick all so guess that aint gonna happen...

Any ideas help appreciated guys as I am rapidly going bald, no funny comments either cos I really aint in the mood..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Just remember, I'm down the road if you need help with anything. If you get the new housing, I'll definitely help you fit it on. It's just one of those things...We'll get round it one way or another.
Andrei.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Well the old barge is back on the road NO thanks to a overpaid balding idiot who couldnt do a cambelt to save his feckin life!!

Much thanx to Andrei that the engine isnt a write off!!

The idiot I paid near 300 quid to that didnt even finish the whole job managed to tighten the Cambelt cover on so tight with cableties as fixings are fubar that the housing was rubbing against the brand new cambelt / timing belt or whatever you wanna call it!!

Now getting orrible smells coming into the car as well when she gets warm it smells like sumin is burning but cant find what it is???

Generally a bit hacked off and as I have to tax the bloody thing at the end of the month to I am once again considering cutting my loses and buying sumin else..

The car just doesnt seem the same now and to be honest with all the motorway mileage I do im always turning down the stereo listening for random rubbing noises and I dont even have huge alloys so it would just be the timing belt.. :lol: :no
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

He did adjust the timing correctly, didn't he? If not it may run bad and won't reach peak power, if that's what you mean.

As for burning, what sort of burning can you smell? electrical, chemical? Might just be the tidal wave of plus gas that you put on there, when it burns off it stinks. like WD-40. I got tax as well this month, shite but if it keeps it running, that's that.
Andrei.
Previous:

Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Seems that.... you either get a good Cav or a bad Cav... Good luck with it!!!!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Hayward691 wrote:Seems that.... you either get a good Cav or a bad Cav... Good luck with it!!!!!
Depends 100% on how the car has been maintained really.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:
Hayward691 wrote:Seems that.... you either get a good Cav or a bad Cav... Good luck with it!!!!!
Depends 100% on how the car has been maintained really.
True....

Thought it was a good buy to be honest 2 owners from new and history etc but and I aint taking his word for it the mechanic I used did say that it appeared someone thought they were a good home mechanic and had bodged several jobs..
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

£300 for a 8v cambelt! that should have been £100 tops
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Gaz wrote:£300 for a 8v cambelt! that should have been £100 tops
Lol....Wish I lived closer to a few of you lads!!

The guy quoted me for:

New Cambelt kit, waterpump, Alternator belt and antifreeze etc

Job was he was meant to change over the thermostat housing as got a second hand one so remove all ancilaries and replace parts, in the end he didnt even finish the job off properly as he made excuses that he didnt have the time to do it..

Total cost 260 quid inc vat and parts/labour..

Still have to find new Cambelt housing (the plastic cover) and replace it unless I can find a way to secure it properly as it is being held on with a couple of cable ties and gravity it seems..lol

Already know this is another cam belt off job and mechanic already quoted 120 quid so wondering if I just take face off the casing can I find some correct sized bolts with oversized washers and secure it properly before it causes major damage??
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mike, the way I fixed it on, it won't do damage. like I said, as long as it stays parallel to the belt, it won't rub.
But yes, it may be worth putting bolts in. Cable ties are fine.. temporarily.
Andrei.
Previous:

planetc

Post by planetc »

if he didn't finish the job why pay him?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

planetc wrote:if he didn't finish the job why pay him?
Good point there.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

planetc wrote:if he didn't finish the job why pay him?
Needed the car back quickly and it is drivable I am just not 100% happy with the standard of the work he carried out and I have emailed him first off to give him chance to answer.

He is a Check-a-Trade member so if he doesnt come up with a sensible solution or answers to my questions I shall be registering a poor feedback entry on his profile there, now that may not sound much and it does mean I will never see any money back but it will make others more aware.

The car was done with no supervision as after several meetings with him and my working hours I decided he was fine to do the job to a high standard...

How wrong you can be....Beware the rogue traders...lol
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

So its decided whilst I have been sat around ill for a few days I have to finish up on some jobs on the old Cavvy..

So next:

Get under boot floor with jenolite as starting to rot slowly but not serious enough to need welding yet!!

Go up Tyre shop as rear o/side tyre keeps going flat, annoying after being ill for a few days and then walking out to a completely flat tyre!!

Get some proper fixings in the Timing / cam belt cover as dont trust whats there.

May have to get old thermostat housing drilled out and put back onto the car as seems to be running hot! Normal drive it runs up to around 94-95 degrees then minute I stop it increases, fan kicking in around 98 degrees and pushes temperature back down but even on motorway at average 80mph its running at 95 ish.

Think problem is the Stat again, mechanic didnt put new one one. Part I ordered from Vaux Spares came with stat on that mechanic supposedly checked and obviously does work but running warm.

Apart from that I wanna sort a fog light front end and put on splitter, find some different alloys as mine are fubar and work out how to remove door cards etc so I can put some decent speakers in it and work out why drivers side window stops at a couple of inches down unless you push up then down again..

Got someone with turbo rear panel and lights waiting on cash too so thats a priority!

Plenty to do and with my new hours at work I will have more time at home in Bournemouth and if weather stays ok plenty of space on my drive to do the work!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

The window, try lowering it, and holding the small circle button next to the window switches. That I think sort of overrides the motor and helps to move it quicker. :thumb

Doorcards are easy, especially with electric windows. Only trouble is the plastic clips that break off due to glue wearing off. I can help with that.
Andrei.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:The window, try lowering it, and holding the small circle button next to the window switches. That I think sort of overrides the motor and helps to move it quicker. :thumb
No small circle button near mine mate???

Think its something to do with the runners as it stops like its rubbing and then if you push up then immediately down it will lower the full way...

Taxed again at least, another 118 quid I cant spend on alloys or other bits I want / need!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Oh right. My auto has that button. Apparently like I said it's some sort of override. That eliminates that then. probably just needs grease on the rails. Which means taking the door card off.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Oh right. My auto has that button. Apparently like I said it's some sort of override. That eliminates that then. probably just needs grease on the rails. Which means taking the door card off.

Think I will hold fire and buy my speakers etc first then wip off the door cards as they sound like a right bi'atch to get off without braking clips etc!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Tis a bit of a fiddle, but it's doable with the right tools. Even so, I've broke off 6 clips altogether and my cards stay on fine. One does rattle a bit though but there's always a way round it.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Tis a bit of a fiddle, but it's doable with the right tools. Even so, I've broke off 6 clips altogether and my cards stay on fine. One does rattle a bit though but there's always a way round it.

Hmmmm......Superglue?!! Lol
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Superglue, small self tappers and some strong tape would be my way.
Previous:

Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Cavalier342 wrote:Superglue, small self tappers and some strong tape would be my way.
Oh yeah...lol...

Forgot I need a headlight!! Still aint budged though mate....

Anyway back to business I guess, time to go ebay and find me some decent speakers!!