My Cav Motorsport

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
iangsi
Club Admin

Re: My Cav Motorsport

Post by iangsi »

Well after 4 years part 3 of my interior upgrade has happened I fitted the white grey dials from a Calibra to match the volt / oil pressure gauges , pictures to follow when I can get on the dreaded photobucket.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

I had a look at my front brake pads the other week & to my horror I saw they where very low, so I order a set of genuine GM pads from ebay which turned out to be a Vauxhall dealer in Wales see link,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-GM-V ... 1438.l2649

But even after sending my reg number & being told they would fit it turns out they don't they are to large, on contacting the seller he sent me a replacement set of the correct ones free of charge & said I could keep the other set.

I was initially going to change just the pads but upon closer inspection it turns out I needed discs as well so having the wrong pads may of been a blessing in disguise save me doing the job twice.
So I got a set of Drive-Tec discs from my local motor factors And fitted them today along with the GM pads.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Odd that they were too big. Must have been Turbo/V6 pads.

Sometimes reg numbers don't decode properly on the EPC4 system that I have, normally leaving you to guess between several different parts.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

James McGrath wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:48 pm Odd that they were too big. Must have been Turbo/V6 pads.

Sometimes reg numbers don't decode properly on the EPC4 system that I have, normally leaving you to guess between several different parts.
Yes strange I measured the old disc's & they are 256mm vented type, so the calipers must be different.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Well another years MOT achieved yesterday after some trials & tribulations & also with some advisories, But sadly that means it has to be put up for sale now as I can no longer drive to work in it without having to pay the ULEZ charge. Anybody interested ?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

A mixed bag of emotions there.
Joy at getting another 12 months ticket, but the sadness of having to let the car go.

I am sure all Cavaliers will eventually go the same way.
Driven out of use due to changes in government policy.
Emissions controls, upping ethanol levels and thegeneral move to electric vehicles.

They tried to put a charge zone in Manchester (anywhere within the M60 ring road) about 10 or so years ago.
It was voted against by Manchester residents, but I am sure it will come into play in the next couple of years anyway.

Enjoy while you can, or at least while you can still afford to folks!!.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Glasgow is heading the same way, all it will do is drive visitors away from the centre. The public transport is expensive, and makes the recent motorways to glasgow a bit pointless. I can drive there in 25 minutes, then won't be able to get into the centre.

It's cheaper for me to drive in, including parking, than get the bus or train. If there's 2 or 3 or 4 of you in a family then much much cheaper to drive in.
David
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Sorry to hear you're selling, even sorrier to hear that it's because of the ULEZ.

I sincerely hope that no ULEZ makes it's way down as far as Robertsbridge!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Had that issue with brakes pads as well, very confusing trying to find the right ones, I got a set that was too large.

Only kind of good thing about the ULEZ is cars over 40 Year old can go in free, overall annoys me though you've to pay car tax then are banned from some roads becuase of the car you drive, discrimination springs to mind.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Well after 11 years of ownership it's gone down to Devon.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Happy trails to your jalopy.
Hopefully see it again " Coming soon on a thread near you!" :)
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Robsey wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:06 am Happy trails to your jalopy.
Hopefully see it again " Coming soon on a thread near you!" :)
Not likely in its original state ! as the new owner drove it down to Devon & it is now sorned, I've just seen the wheels are for sale on Facebook.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Well it’s up for sale again on Facebook for a lot more than what I got for it.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am tempted to say "what a shame..".

The last two posts both infer that the seller was only interested in the car as an investment.
Not from an enthusiast perspective.
:(
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

To be fair he is selling all the parts he aquired to convert it into a touring car replica including 2 red tops.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah okay,
I suppose something must have changed... health, family, or finances, to cause him to abandon the planned project.

The red-tops on their own will command a fair price.
They are still a popular retro-fit amongst the Nova / Corsa groups (PNG etc...)
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

vexorg wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:36 am Glasgow is heading the same way, all it will do is drive visitors away from the centre. The public transport is expensive, and makes the recent motorways to glasgow a bit pointless. I can drive there in 25 minutes, then won't be able to get into the centre.

It's cheaper for me to drive in, including parking, than get the bus or train. If there's 2 or 3 or 4 of you in a family then much much cheaper to drive in.
You should be ok.
The Scottish lez's exempt cars over 30 years. It's an online form that covers them all.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt