James' 1993 Cavalier LS

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: James' 1993 Cavalier LS

Post by James McGrath »

Right then, here we go. My first real WIP update in over eight months. :?

I never intended to leave it this long but due to the photobucket fiasco, a busy work life, moving home (yes more on that later), the winter weather and generally being very busy, I've not been as active as I would have liked over the last year or so.

Worry ye not; although I've been very quiet on the forum, I've actually not stopped work on the cars and I'm sure you'll be delighted to learn, I have a huge backlog of WIP updates that I'll be writing up over the coming months.

First off though is a nice easy one.

Getting the LS back on the road!

Here how she's been sitting, tucked up nice and snug:

I hadn't actually started her up since Christmas day, well over 5 months ago. So first up was a quick inspection to see how everything was. Checked the oil, spark plugs, inside the distributor and gave all the fluids a top up.
The oil was black, so a change was in order, but other than that everything looked good.

Pick of the plugs, all ok here, move along:

Next was to get her started. Obviously the battery was flat as a pancake so a jump-start from the v6 was necessary.
I primed her up first by unplugging the coil to distributor lead and cranking her over a few times to get the oil flowing.
Plugged it back in again and she fired up first turn of the key!

She was a but dusty, but other wise still looking good and running smoothly.

I left her to warm up for a few minuets and then changed the oil.
The magnetic drain plug looked pretty good, there were a few deposits on it but nothing major:

I was surprised to see that there was a non genuine oil filter fitted, I'm sure I put a genuine one on there when I did the service last, maybe it was changed when i had the cam belt done last year? :scratch
Anyway, it has now been replaced with a proper GM one. :D

New oil.
Went back to Magnatec for this year.

I was pleased to see the engine bay still looked pretty good and the engine was running very smoothly:

Keeping with my tradition of buying something new for the LS every year, for this show season I've got two new bits of genuine Vauxhall dealer bling :cool both curtsey of LowriderDave.
First off is an original emergency bulb kit!

The next bit of kit is something very special.
Genuine facelift headlamp protectors!

Really pleased with these, I've been yearning for a set for ages.

I was surprised at how easy they are to fit too, far easier than the pre-facelift ones.

Here's how she is now in the staff car park:

When I first started driving her back in 2010, I thought she blended in very well with new cars and looked relatively modern.
Eight years later, I think she really stands out. She looks brilliant compared to all the bland euro boxes.

I'm going up to Aldeburgh in Suffolk this evening for a weekend break with Lizzie my girlfriend and I'll be taking the LS.
Should be a good test for it and a good chance to fully recharge the battery.

That's all for now folks. Have a good weekend!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looking top notch as usual.
Good work that man.

I hope you have taught Lizzie the importance of Cavalier ownership. :ugeek:
An essential for any long term relationship.

Hmm that filter must have been a garage fitment. I suspect the thought of you using non-GM parts would be sacrilage.
Now that would never do. :no

I hope that the battery has not been weakened by being stood for so long.
Not a good start to the weekend if the car refuses to start due to a duff battery.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thanks Rob.

I have a big stash of GM oil filters so I always fit one of them if I do a service myself. Just I can't remember taking this car for a service anywhere in the last few years so I don't really know how a non GM one got on there.

The battery was only fitted last year so I think it's still good despite being kept flat for so long.

Robsey wrote:I hope you have taught Lizzie the importance of Cavalier ownership. :ugeek:
An essential for any long term relationship.
I didn't have to, I think she likes them more than I do!
chrisash86

Post by chrisash86 »

When I took my cav for a service I supplied all the service parts the garage was very impressed with all GM stuff I brought along to be fitted
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

First of all, I'm sorry on two counts. I'm sorry that it's been over a year since I've updated this WIP and I'm sorry this update is going to be very long and very photo heavy!

This update starts back in March when I was first thinking about taking the old girl out of hibernation for the warmer half of the year.
One of the things I've been meaning to do for a long time was get the fuel injector sonically cleaned. I had just had them cleaned on the Diplomat at the time which had made a huge difference to the smoothness of that car, and thought I could get similar results on the LS.

So off came the 'top hat' and the injector which was then sent off to Injectortune to be cleaned.
If anyone is considering getting their injectors cleaned I thoroughly recommend Injectortune. I've used them a few times now and they always have a quick turn around and they give you a really good run down of the results.

As you can see though, this injector, despite 204,000 miles of service under it's belt, really didn't need cleaning. Must be all that super unleaded it's had over the last few years!
At least the spray pattern was marginally improved.

To be honest, after that not much happened for a few months as other things took priority.
It wasn't until the MOT was nearly due in June that I got my arse in gear and finally fitted the thing.

By this point the car had not been ran since our holiday to Wales in September (more on that later...)
That's nearly 9 moths of standing still :shock:

At least it was tucked away in the garage:

As you might expect, the battery was flatter than a skydiver that forgot his parachute!

After so may deep cycles of the battery being used so infrequently, it was no longer holding any charge.
So a quick visit to my local Vauxhall dealer later and I got myself a slightly oversized 55Ah Vauxhall trade club battery for just £40! Luckily they were having a sale on top of their already low prices.

While I was removing the injector, I also noticed a couple of other things that weren't quite right.
Firstly one of the breather hoses to the top hat was broken:

And the seal around the injector's electric connection had turned to liquorice:

Solution: £2 on genuine parts search a new breather hose connector:

And under a £1 on eBay for one of these...

...which kindly donated it's rubber seal to the LS's injector connection:

It was then finally time to put this back in it's proper place...

After that it started up first turn of the key!
Despite bing very dusty, it didn't look too bad either, considering it hadn't been washed in the best part of a year!

Gave everything a once over and decided to give her a quick service, despite only doing a few thousand miles since it's last one....

... the state of this air filter swayed me into thinking that it was probably a good idea:

It was then time for its MOT...

... which it failed :(

All signs pointed towards a bad catalytic converter which I wasn't too unhappy about as I have been looking for an excuse to replace the poppy old quick fit supplied system for quite some time.
Some of the exhaust components were actually the wrong size (1.8 mid silencer) and I'm pretty sure the Cat was a non type approved part.
The back box wasn't much to look at either:

Luckily, I've been stockpiling genuine exhaust components for some time and the only thing I didn't have spare was a catalytic converter.
I initially tried to order a type-approved part from ECC exhausts. I even messaged the seller beforehand to double check what I was getting but the part that arrived was not type approved!
I queried the seller and all they had to say was that the type-approved part wasn't available any more, thanks for telling me!!!

Anyway, here are all the exhaust components that I had ready to go on. The pictures also include the non-type approved cat which was sent back for a refund:

Genuine GM back box:

Genuine GM mid silencer:

Down pipe made by Klarius:

GM gaskets and ECC cat fitting kit:

Complete system:

One of the other advisories on the MOT was a track rod end dust cover.
On closer inspection there was actually quite a lot of play in the joint and it needed replacement.
These are notorious for seizing up and being rather difficult to remove. Luckily all the track rod components are still manufactured and are widely available so I thought I'd replace the whole lot while this is still the case and get the tracking properly aligned at the same time.
Lovely Febi goodness:

Failing to find a decent quality catalytic converter, I decided to get one made up in stainless steel at the Hastings exhaust centre. They had made exhaust sections for me before, namely the V6's mid silencer and knew they would do a good job.
So it was off to Hastings to get everything fitted:

Everything was fitted really well, the exhaust looks ace and the new track rods made a surprising difference to the feel of the steering; it feels much more precise:

Just to make sure it got through, I decided to fit a new ignition coil and ignition module which I had in my spares.
I bought these a while ago when I noticed that the wrong part was fitted. According to EPC4, the coil should have the ident 'XE' whearas the one fitted had ident 'WR' :scratch
Genuine GM ignition module and Bosch coil:

New and old:

Fitted:

It was then time for the MOT re-test...

Hurrah!!

The emissions results were probably the best I've seen on any of my cars too:

After getting that over with, it was time to start thinking about the show season.

I'd noticed that the rear anti-roll bar bushes were really quite bad and wanted them replaced before I went on any long journeys:

Again I had some new ones in the bottomless pit of parts that my parents garage has now become:

When it came to fitting them, I found they were in a lot worse condition than I thought and the bar disintegrated when I removed them! :o
It's doubtful that the bar was operating at all given the state it was in:

I had to call my mechanic John, who came round and fixed the old bar by welding on new metal:

Actually having a working anti-roll bar has made the world of difference; she feels much more stable around corners than ever before.
It's surprising how much difference it makes considering the type of compound crank suspension Cavaliers have.

One last little job was the battery plate that was looking very tired:

This was wire brushed, painted with hydrate-80 and given a coat of Hammerite metal paint:

After giving the ol' girl a proper wash, she was treated to a full coat of wax:

before:

during:

after:

Phew!
After all of that she was finally ready for VBOA...
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Wow what a write up!
Good to keep on top of those jobs that otherwise cause a gradual deterioration of a vehicle.
Your injector is doing well and I would guess they have a lot more miles in it yet.
I visited VBOA myself and thought it was a great day and super venue, very civilised and a lot to see.
Unfortunately I didn't spot you but did manage to stumble across yours and Dad's? CD!
I was parked in the public car park.

Alan
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yep, that's my Dad's CD auto.
To the left of that photo was Lizzie's (my fiancée) 1994 green CD hatch.

I must have just missed you! Did you come in your CD?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Excellent to see the family fleet being kept in it's usual immaculate condition.

Congratulations to Lizzie too, for becoming a forum member.
Welcome aboard Lizzie :thumb

It is a surprise that the injector was doing so well.
However it tends to be a "lazy" sluggishly operating injector that causes a lot of emissions issues. Not usually wear and tear.

And the catalyst... I still haven't changed mine, despite the post-restoration cat going bad after only a couple of years.

I am sure yours will be fine.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thanks Rob.

I'm going to be doing a write up about catalytic converters soon.
I've bought quite a few recently due to problems on my dad's CD auto and on the LS and there are a lot of bad sellers/products about.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Nice work James. keep it up :thumb
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Congratulations on the mot pass :D
Nice write-up! - worth the wait and 'Long and photo heavy' is always good :)

The car looks stunning polished up, nice choice for the show!

Your custom cat looks bulletproof and obviously did the job well- are they able to supply nationally for different cavs?
Robsey wrote:..Congratulations to Lizzie too, for becoming a forum member.
I can't find a new member, am I doing something wrong?

It must be difficult to keep up a fleet, I can barely keep my single cav running (but I will) , I admire your dedication :thumb

I am looking forward to your write up on catalytic converters.

I have a BM cats one lurking in a cupboard, just in case I need it sometime.
I'd like to hear your findings.

-matt
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thanks guys. I feel like I've made some real progress on this car for the first time in quite a while.

ilovedmymantas wrote:Your custom cat looks bulletproof and obviously did the job well- are they able to supply nationally for different cavs?
Robsey wrote:..Congratulations to Lizzie too, for becoming a forum member.
I can't find a new member, am I doing something wrong?

It's quite a small shop, everything is hand made so they don't normally supply nationally, but they have some very talented people there.
Give them a call, they can probably sort somthing out: 01424 435141

Lizzie has just joined the forum but she hasn't posted anything yet.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

For this post, I'm going to go back in time to September last year when Lizzie and I decided to go on a camping holiday to Wales.

Originally we had intended to take the V6 but as that was late coming out of the bodywork shop, the responsibility fell on the LS.

One thing I needed to do before setting off was replace this:

It had blown a few weeks earlier on the way to Vauxfest 2018.
Everything went smoothly and I manged to fit a new gasket in about half an hour.
Remarkably it sealed first time and even now, almost a year later, it's still sealed without any weeping oil! Strange how sometimes you can spend hours changing one of these gaskets, making sure the surfaces are completely clean, only for it to start weeping oil in just a few days. Yet, do it quickly in under an hour and it seals perfectly! :roll:

During and after:

With that done and the car packed to the brim with all our camping gear, it was time to set off:

Without this becoming too much of a holiday blog, it was probably the best holiday I've ever had.
Yes, ok, I admit the tent did blow down in a storm at one point and it rained pretty much most of the time but we saw some truly amazing sights and drove on some first class roads.
We managed to see 20 castles in just 7 days and drove 1500 miles all the way around Wales visiting every county bar Pembrokeshire. We navigated the whole trip using just a map, spontaneously picking out what we wanted to visit as we went along; virtually none of it was planned.

Anyway, here are a few shots, mostly ones with the car in:

One of the driving highlights of the trip was going for a run up the Black Mountain Pass (A4069).
I took a video of the journey, it's mostly nonsense but there are some terrific views and the car sounds great.
Best enjoyed with headphones!

Link

The LS performed brilliantly all the way and never missed a beat. I think I managed to get about 40mpg over the whole trip, not bad considering the mountainous terrain the weight penalty of two occupants and all that camping gear.
It was really fun driving her along the fantastic welsh roads too.

Alas, all good things come to an end and too soon it was time to head home.
The car was looking pretty well travel stained by the end:

Just enough time for a quick wash before being tucked away in the garage.

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I keep on telling myself that I must update all my threads one day, well that's not going to happen unless I make it happen. So here we go!
I'm updating the LS first as frankly it's the easiest as it's already reasonably up to date and I haven't go too much to report.

It is a bit of a garage whore these days; I think I've done less than 2,000 miles in it this year.
However that has included a couple of long trips, namely a day trip to the New Forrest during the tail end of lockdown 1, and a 390 mile round-trip up to Aldridge to see Michael (forum name GLC) to acquire some cavalier goodies.

Since getting the exhaust replaced and the rear anti-roll bar bushes done in 2019, she's been driving incredibly well. Sublime in fact.
Everything just feels right these days, well almost anyway.
I still have a few niggles to work out. The drivers door is still slightly out of kilter form an attempted break in way back in the mid-2000s which causes a bit of wind noise, the paintwork on the roof has seen better days and I do still get a bit of pinking from the engine sometimes but apart from that, I'm running out of things to do.
Since getting her in a garage, I feel things have been ticked off the to-do-list faster than new things have been added. :cheers
Wish i could say the same for all the other Cavs which the opposite applies. :roll:

Anyway, there was one slight snagging point on the last MOT. It failed on Rust on the nearside rear sill and a rear brake pipe.
Both of which I knew about so no surprises really. I believe the break pipe was first mentioned on the MOT as an advisory in 2015. :?

Here's the culprit:

I also had this scabby, but otherwise non-MOT threatening, bit done at the same time:

Does anyone else get a slight seance of separation Anxiety when you leave you car with someone else for repair?
A bit like leaving your child on their first day of school?
No? Just me then.

This is what she looked like after her surgery (please forgive the white marks, they're not scratches they're poorly buffed wax marks!)

Hopefully this repair will last, time will tell.

Just for a bit of 90s originality and because I'm a total nerd, I had a facsimile tax disc made up by poplargreg. :geek: .
Unfortunately the earliest genuine one I have is from 2003.
I thoroughly recommend poplargreg if you're looking to do the same. The quality is brilliant and they are very reasonably priced too:
https://www.poplargreg.com/

This is was partly because I'm far too much of a pedant and partly because I had too much time on my hands over lockdown, but I used a scalpel to cut in the impression of perforations around the edge. Something that no-one would notice but I would know it's there.

So there you have it. Just a small update with a mere 7 photos this time.
I've focused my attention very firmly on the other members of the fleet over the past 12 months and have lots more updates to follow.
Hopefully I'll get some of those up soon.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I also have that separation anxiety.
Probably why I have not had the car worked on since my trusted garage closed back in January 2020.

I have also thought about getting tax discs for the Cavalier and the camper van.

Maybe one day...

I reckon it will be quite nice to have a car that is 'behaving' for a change.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Looks a good job on the sill. Mines going to be harder to match being a metallic.
I've had a tax disc like that in my cav for the last few years but have never gone to the trouble of perferating the edges.
There used to be a firm advertising proper tax discs reproduced under licence on the original type sheet, I bought one for a car I had years ago, think it was about £25 in 2005ish.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Dont like leaving my cars with anyone.
Unless it's our main car, usually under warranty of some kind, and if they break it, they fix it.
David
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Aye, it's one of the things that spurred me on to learn how to do things when I was younger (that and after someone jacked the car up on the floor I just lost most of my confidence in others).

Now, I am a bit less picky, but also have maybe 5 garages I will trust to do anything (dotted around the north east).
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Very, very minor update to the WIP.

I finally managed to find some of these clips that I've spent the last 10 years or so looking for:

10 forum points to the first person who can tell me what they are for. No cheating and looking up the part number!

After fitting those, I took her out for the first run of the year today.
Started up first turn of the key!
A bit dusty after being in the garage for nearly 6 months and the battery was flat, but nothing a wipe down and a spell on the battery charger wouldn't fix.

I did notice however that she seems to have developed a bit of a flat spot at around 3000 rpm. :scratch
Just a minor one, but I've never noticed it before.Any ideas?

Maybe it just needs a bit more of a run.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I will sit out on this one, because I have these in my shed.

I will give someone else a chance. :)

I am surprised you struggled to get these...
Unlesd you were after original GM parts.
There are plenty of aftermarket copies available from ebay and suppliers for classic vehicles.

As for your flat spot.
Could be a bit of ambient damp or old / dirty fuel that will probably clear after a good run.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Yeah, hopefully it will iron itself out with more runs.

Where abouts do you get them from Rob?
I was looking for genuine but only because I didn't know anyone else made them. I could do with more for the Diplomat and V6.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have seen them pop up from time to time on ebay...
And I am sure Bresco may have something like them too.

Or you could get someone to 3D print some for you.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Think I have a box of them, but they were for holding carpet up under the dash if I recall correctly.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 pm Think I have a box of them, but they were for holding carpet up under the dash if I recall correctly.
edit... under dash panels.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

They are indeed the carpet retainers...

Rather than being the "under-dash" panel retainer turn-buckles.