James' 1993 Cavalier LS

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
James McGrath
Club Admin

Re: James' 1993 Cavalier LS

Post by James McGrath »

Done a few little jobs since my re-spray.

First thing I had to do was the heater motor resistor. My interior fan was only working on setting number 3 and 4 so after experimenting on the switch itself I concluded that it was the resistor that had blown. I want to a scrap yard and picked up a new one from a L reg C20NE GLS only to find out it was the wrong size. This new one was slightly wider and thus would not fit. So after a bit of research I found the right part number and ordered one from Genuine Parts Search and this is how it arrived:

Packaged on the 10th of June 2000 at 35 minuets passed 12 at night according to the label!
It always feels wrong opening something that has been left unopened all that time.

Here you can see that my old one has a slight crack in it at the bottom:

It was a real pain of a job getting the old one off. It was really suck on there and I felt as if I was going to break something if I pulled too hard. Nether the less I persisted and got there in the end.

My space age technology, 2 planks of wood, to hold the plastic cowling out of my way because I was too lazy to take it off:

Success! Oh fan setting number 1, I did miss you so. :D

The next job was fitting some mud flaps.

I saw these on eBay. Brand new, genuine Vauxhall, and decided what the hell, I'll buy them. After all, if they didn't look right I could have always used them as a replacement for the tatty ones I have on my Dad's CD.

Before:

After:

They went in pretty easily (these are the clip on type not the screw in) and I'm happy with the results, What do you think?

Finally, I managed to find a genuine Vauxhall EGR valve blanking plate on Genuine Parts Search. So, I bought it to replace the one I had on there before which was only made from steel so it started to rust and I had to apply a coat of rust protector turning the blanking plate a brown colour. As the Genuine Vauxhall one is made from a heavy stainless steel I shouldn't have to worry about rust.

The blanking plate is made in Australia funnily enough:

In this Photo you can see the state of my old one on the top hat air intake:

I also managed to find a brand new never been used first aid kit, this time it's the grey type with the red stripe around it which I believe is the type that was originally supplied with the Cavalier in the early 90s. So the New Blue one is going in my Dad's CD and I'm having this one:

These are all the part numbers if they help anyone:

Heater motor resistor for C16NZ2 engine: 90486793
Clip-on Rear Mud flaps (plastic): 91146477
EGR blanking plate for C16NZ2 and C18NZ: 92065430

I'm hoping to get some things done on the interior next, as the exterior is pretty much done now. Most importantly I need a couple of new door cards at the front. I know they are going to be a real nightmare to find. After that I've got nothing left to do apart from getting it undersealed. :D
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Re: the rear mud flaps you might want to raise them up a little as they may drag when you've got your mates in the back. But they look good.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

iangsi wrote:Re: the rear mud flaps you might want to raise them up a little as they may drag when you've got your mates in the back. But they look good.
Thanks for the tip. I'll move them up on Wednesday.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

I had the Cavalier fleet out in full swing today helping my sister move.

Both cars performed their duties admirably and carried what felt like 9 tons of stuff between them.

The advantages of both the hatchback and the saloon came in handy as the hatchback was better for awkwardly large pieces of furniture and the saloon was better for the shier amount of stuff it can carry in boxes.

Anyway, my focus of attention has turned to the interior, the 2 front door cards to be precise. As both of them are annoying the hell out of me; the drivers one is creaking and the passenger one is rattling. It's what I would imagine 'Annoyance: the movie' would sound like in stereo!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing a loose knock coming from the rear of the car. This happens whenever I go over a pothole in the road while going round a corner. When I went to have a look at what it was I found this:

I have on idea whether or not it is this that is causing the noise or not but I don't care now, I'm just glad I spotted this rust when I did.

I'm currently talking to btcctroy about it and hopefully he will be able to repair them along with any other rust and get it undersealed at the same time.

In the meantime I got myself a new set of rear spring seats ready to go on:

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Just to update everyone, I arranged to see Troy (btcctroy) in Oldham in the end and went up there on Thursday 27th.

I did the journey with a fairly conservative right foot and managed to get 51.6 miles per gallon!

But anyway, I've just got back home at about 6:30pm today and long story short, Troy did a fantastic job of my rear spring seats. :D

I'll post the full story tomorrow along with some pictures.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Top Man is Troy!
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

It's a tad later that I said it would be, but here it is anyway:

This is what was left of my old spring seats and the part of the chassis leg that they were formally attached to. Apparently the passenger side one was one of the worst Troy had ever worked on and it just came away in his hand! So pretty close to collapsing then:

New seats welded on, complete seam weld all the way round, ask Troy for the exact details but this is much better than the spot welding that was used originally in the factory because this way no moisture can get in-between the chassis leg and the spring seat and cause rust in the future:

All nicely undersealed, you'd never know anything was ever done!

I'm really pleased with the results, I can't thank Troy enough for what a brilliant job he's done. So thanks again Troy! :D :cheers

It's a big weight off my mind knowing that there isn't any major/dangerous rust anywhere! The only patches of rust on the car now is a scabby bit on the passenger side footwell which is only minor and a patch in the boot where the wheel arch is on the drivers side behind the first aid kit hatch which I can't get repaired yet anyway because it's too wet.

Anyway, I've got loads of Cavalier related bits for Christmas for both the CD and the LS which I spent the latter half of today fitting, things are looking really good, more pictures to follow...
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Wow that looks a nice job that pal
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looks good.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

btcctroy wrote:Wow that looks a nice job that pal

Thanks, all my own work of course! :lol:
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

That's looking so much better and a brilliant idea about welding it right up like that I never understood why it wasn't like that from standard.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Once driven forever smitten , The car of the future today.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Good progress and nice neat welding by Troy!
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Ok, I've done a few more jobs over the last few days.

First of all, here is all the stuff I got for Christmas!

The up rated Phillips SC804 Radio, made in France?!?

New gaiters for the gear stick and the hand brake:

Yet another set of floor mats, this time both of them have the red strip around them:

New Brake discs:

Headlamp protectors, unfortunately these are the wrong ones, they are for the pre-facelift, but I'm, going to keep them in case I ever find myself buying pre-facelift Cav:

And some genuine shock absorbers!

First of all, this was what the old gaiters were looking like:

Fitting them was pretty easy. I especially like how the handbrake gaiter turned out. Gear stick could be better, I might have another go at fitting it. But then again the handbrake gaiter is an original Vauxhall part and the gear stick gaiter is not.

New floor mats in the front and new radio installed:

I swear it doesn't look this dirty in real life. :? Dam photos showing up all the dirt, I'm going to have to give her a thorough clean out soon.

I'm very pleased how everything turned out, it's given the interior a bit of an oe refresh. I'm not so sure about the radio though, it's nice but it isn't original as the sc804 was never available on the LS. I might transfer it over to may dad's CD, as it was at least an optional extra on the CD.

Part number if anyone needs them:

Pre-facelift headlamp protectors: 91143184
Shock absorbers: 90496644
256 x 20mm - Ventilated brake disks (C16NZ2, C18NZ, 1.6 and 1.8 carb): 93182285
Gear stick gaiter: 90437426
Handbrake gaiter: 90331615
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

Some nice bits you've done there m8.

Where you get the gm gaiters from?

James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

cavaliersri130 wrote:Some nice bits you've done there m8.

Thanks, I got them from Vauxhall car parts:

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/

The gear stick gaiter isn't a genuine part by the way, the handbrake gaiter is though.
Super89

Post by Super89 »

where do you keep getting the vauxhall mats from im after a set
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Super89 wrote:where do you keep getting the vauxhall mats from im after a set
Genuine parts search, it's on page 3 of this wip but here it is again:

http://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk/vaux ... earch.aspx

Just tap in the part numbers:

Front pair: 91138676
Rear pair: 91138677

Give them a ring though to make sure you get a set with the red piping around the edge. The first set I bought didn't have it on the front pair.
cavaliersri130

Post by cavaliersri130 »

James McGrath wrote:
cavaliersri130 wrote:Some nice bits you've done there m8.

Thanks, I got them from Vauxhall car parts:

http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/

The gear stick gaiter isn't a genuine part by the way, the handbrake gaiter is though.
O ok cheers I'll have a look at that link cheers.

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Your allowed to have a CD player in your cav. You don't have to stay in the 90's lol. As long as you keep the original stereo as part of the history your laughing. Let's be honest the original stereo aren't the best. Propably better than Andrei's ting tong system for a fiver for Audi.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

btcctroy wrote:Your allowed to have a CD player in your cav. You don't have to stay in the 90's lol. As long as you keep the original stereo as part of the history your laughing. Let's be honest the original stereo aren't the best. Propably better than Andrei's ting tong system for a fiver for Audi.

I want to keep it as original as possible and I don't think a new radio would really fit in and it will look a bit out of place. I might get one if I find one in exactly the right colour and in a design in keeping with the rest of the dash, but I don't think that's going to happen. Besides I like the original radio.

My new brake pads arrived today:

So I'll be fitting them along with my new discs as soon as all the snow melts.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Decent pads there no expense spared
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

btcctroy wrote:Decent pads there no expense spared
Yeah I saw an advert for them in classic car monthly magazine and thought I'd give them a go.

I was thinking about getting some EBC green stuff pads but they were twice the price and I think a little unnecessary for a car with only 75 BHP. :p
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

some shit hot welding there troy :thumb

cav looks real tidy buddy :cool
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

That's the same radio as in my GSI.