Jimmy's black 8v SRi :)

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
jimmy

Jimmy's black 8v SRi :)

Post by jimmy »

So picked this up thursday last week took for mot on friday hoping it would go through so I could go to Trax in it unfortunately it didn't an I didn't get a chance to get it sorted in time any ways

Its a 95' M black hatchback 2.0 8valve SRi standard apart from cd player and mk3 astra ls alloys which I haven't made my mind up on yet lol :scratch its on 172k and feels like a very capable an strong engine so far I'm actually a bit surprised at how well it pulls, its recently had the following new parts cat converter, alternator, belt tensioner, downpipe, rear boot lid window, air flow meter and now done by me for mot front pads, lower arm, back box and two new tyres also had to glue driver side headlight brackets as they had snapped.

I have a lot of receipts along with every single mot certificate from new! And a receipt from april of last year totalling nearly £900 for replacement of the rear arches :cool and a pretty good job has been done to :D

So plans are subtle really either silver or anthracite wheels not sure on the wheels on it now might go for astra sport steels to be bit different a few subtle cosmetic changes will happen of which I've not totally made my mind up on lower -40mm keep it sensible as this will our main family car an then when money allows possibly some light tuning in the future

Here's some pictures of what she's like at the moment comments opinions welcome :thumb

[center]Image
[/center]
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: Jimmy's black 8v SRi :)

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looks tidy.

Alloys look like Astra sport

What did she fail on then? :(
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Two tyres ball joint excessive play headlight insecure front brakes imbalanced which ain't bad for a 16yr old car that's been stood for the last 6weeks!

Astra sport alloys are 8 spoke these I think are ls, cdx and cabriolet alloys iirc :|
[center]Image
[/center]
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

They arent LS wheels I know that much.

Not a bad failure list really.

Free up the brake sliders
Secure the headlight
Decipher which ball joint they are complaining about and change it
2 new tyres

Then 12 months ticket :thumb

You can nail that in a weekend.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Envoy CDX wrote:They arent LS wheels I know that much.

Not a bad failure list really.

Free up the brake sliders
Secure the headlight
Decipher which ball joint they are complaining about and change it
2 new tyres

Then 12 months ticket :thumb

You can nail that in a weekend.
All the above done ;) :thumb took for retest today but apparantly the vosa computer system was down right across the country so going back in tomorrow morning then get her taxed to :)
[center]Image
[/center]
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

thought these were astra sport wheels?

My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
planetc

Re: Re: Jimmy's black 8v SRi :)

Post by planetc »

gsi pie wrote:thought these were astra sport wheels?

They did steels aswell
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Yes pie they are astra sport ALLOYS I'm thinking of putting astra sport steels on like the wheels on that chaps 2.0 8v 4x4 :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Nice looking Cav there Jimmy!!

Those rims are on most late spec Mk 3 astras, if not the lower spec then definetly the Gls models..

The other alloys on there are Sport ones from a 2.0 Astra, they did also do steelies.

Used to be a proper Astra nut, had about 4 or 5 different ones.. :lol:
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Well took the cav for the retest on friday morning and it went through no prob's just need to get the front pads bedded in abit hopefully will be taxing her for use this friday didn't have enough last friday really looking forward to using it :)

Plans are get a cambelt an service done asap will do myself with help from my uncle on the cambelt as I haven't done one before :p also I'm hoping to deal with the advisory's by the next mot two of which have already been done as I did whole arm instead of a ball joint and new front pads an oil leak an let's face it what vauxhall hasn't got an oil leak lol :) taking care of corrosion on floor pan an fuel pipes all of which is nothing serious a cv gaiter the other bottom arm and says coil springs corroded which hopefully will have put lowering springs on by then

All in all not bad I don't think it did pretty well on the emissions aswell considering it had been stood for about 6weeks.

Has anyone lowered there cav -60mm on springs an shocks? What's the ride like?

Also thanks for your comments so far chaps :)
[center]Image
[/center]
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

mine lowerd 60mm and using bilstein shocks

ride aint tha bad tbh the 18s make is worse with the low profile

but if your keeping to 15s jimmy it shoudnt be harsh :thumb
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

gsi pie wrote:mine lowerd 60mm and using bilstein shocks

ride aint tha bad tbh the 18s make is worse with the low profile

but if your keeping to 15s jimmy it shoudnt be harsh :thumb
Is it bouncy at all? As in do you feel like a nodding dog when driving lol
[center]Image
[/center]
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

nope no bouncy at all dude :thumb its a nice ride

it will be bouncy on just springs iirc
snowy

Post by snowy »

With the milage it has on it it would be worth checking that the crankshaft woodruff key isn't worn.

I have seen a few high milage cars with worn keys. Vauxhall still sell them and it does make a difference to the way the car drives.

Obviously this is a check to do when replacing the cam belt.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

snowy wrote:With the milage it has on it it would be worth checking that the crankshaft woodruff key isn't worn.

I have seen a few high milage cars with worn keys. Vauxhall still sell them and it does make a difference to the way the car drives.

Obviously this is a check to do when replacing the cam belt.
Cheers :thumb I will bear that in mind I take it I don't need to take the engine apart then to check the woodruff key? An are they expensive?
[center]Image
[/center]
snowy

Post by snowy »

No, you just take the crank pulley off. It is what locks the position of the pulley to the crank.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

snowy wrote:No, you just take the crank pulley off. It is what locks the position of the pulley to the crank.
:thumb :cheers
[center]Image
[/center]
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Have had a search around the site and try'd the search bar but can't find the info om looking for so I thought I'd ask here instead of starting another thread incase it has been covered :p

Basically I noticed the alarm sensors above the seat belts and on one side it has the flashing led and on the other an button

What I want to know is what the button is for? I'm guessing its to turn the sensors off :scratch
Also does any one think it possible for me to change the led for example for a clifford bright blue one? Something more noticeable as to advertise its alarmed so to speak.
[center]Image
[/center]
planetc

Post by planetc »

Button issue to turn off the interior sensors, for when you leave something in the car that moves, like a dog or a woman. Press the button before exiting the car and they will not arm with the rest of the alarm when you deadlock it.

Not idea on the Led, would assume you can take the unit apart and replace.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Squig

Post by Squig »

You could loop the a second LED in a parallel circuit and run wiring to the dash center?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Thanks guys time to do some research then not great with electrics lol :scratch :p
[center]Image
[/center]
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Woohoo taxed an finally road legal! Whoop whoop an its very nice to drive happy days :cool :D :D :D :D :D :D
[center]Image
[/center]
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

jimmy wrote:Woohoo taxed an finally road legal! Whoop whoop an its very nice to drive happy days :cool :D :D :D :D :D :D
Nice one mate!! Enjoy :thumb
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
cavboy180

Post by cavboy180 »

;) Nice motor jimmy and good it being an 8 valve! Do change shocks and springs if you are lowering it 60mm as it is bouncy otherwise! If it helps I have two spare sport steels without tyres! All diesel and 1.6 astra sports came with the steels unless alloys were specified and 1.8 and 2.0 sports had alloys if I remember rightly!
" LS was MORE!! "
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

cavboy180 wrote:;) Nice motor jimmy and good it being an 8 valve! Do change shocks and springs if you are lowering it 60mm as it is bouncy otherwise! If it helps I have two spare sport steels without tyres! All diesel and 1.6 astra sports came with the steels unless alloys were specified and 1.8 and 2.0 sports had alloys if I remember rightly!

Thanks mate I will bear that in mind ;) :thumb

I doubt I will be spending anything on it for a while unless its absolutely necessary like maintenence etc....... with only one wage coming in at the moment and we're about to move house next week :roll:

Can any one tell me if I can fit/retro fit air con to my cav?

Thanks for your comments guys :) :)
[center]Image
[/center]