My cav turbo

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
C20letlad

My cav turbo

Post by C20letlad »

well ive been on here for a long time and pop on everynow and then and thought its about time i posted up so of the work ive done over the last few years some of you know the cav and the work ive put into it so enjoy

due to running issues that i couldnt put my finger on i decided to do this to it !

bore pics
as you can see there is something not right here even tho it runs well enough this type of wear is not good so it looks like its time to remove the lot and sling it in the boot untill i can sort it

and this how i left it with the bores filled with the same amout of fluid in each cylinder this shouldnt leak out if it does its time for a rebulid which i really should have done when i had it out last time !

right update 3 !

well tonight i decided to remove the pistons and see if i can find anything and i gave the bores a quick hone now all the marks have gone but i need the bores checking for roundness

as you can just see the liquide has gone from 1/2/3 and number 4 if fine so even a compresion test doesnt tell the whole truth ! i was led to belive 1&4 were ok but in truth its only number 4 that was ok now if the bores are sealing fully you shouldnt get leakage from any cylinder

THIS is what im left with after honeing (even tho they have come up clean they might be oval )

and here are the pistons all looking ok

so now im left with a big decision i can pic up a fully rebuilt block/crank/rods/pistons/bolts/shells or do i just go for rings and a re freshen up
hermmmmmm

lol
well as you all know the cav made it too and onto and back home with out any problems !

with just over 535 miles on the clock when we got there and it went on and run ok not the best figure in the world but im happy as it was only just built lol
the guy who ran it was not happy when i told him it had just been built ! with everything running with in its spec just lol it gave a good enough result on the rollers so with a few more miles under it it should be a happy bunny

i think a few more bits to the puzzle and it should be a happy girl !

well after that rolling road day the turbo spat its dummy out due to the cav being switched of after its last run on the roller and in turn it burnt the bearings out of my gt28 ! i was not happy after watching the vid and hearing it shut down way too quick

Well todays progress

when i got the new turbo it came with a new actuator which didnt fit my gt28 housing so today i thought it was time to sort this out as i didnt think the old one was much cop !and i can ajust the new one where as before i couldnt. The plate that came with it wouldnt fit in at all so out came the welder,grinder and the hammer ! i first had to turn the plate around but due to the bracket was smaller due to a bend i had to cut a hole in it with the grinder so it would sit flush once this was sorted i had to make two brackets to hold it in place so a quick look around and i found a flat bar with a hole in each end so i cut it in half and welded these to the new bracket and bolted it all on

so a few pics of what i made

this is the old one
This is how it went over the water pipe
And this is the clearance it had next to the intake pipe
The two together
and below the plate i modified

And the clearance now

And here she is a few nights ago at stellars

And here is what is left of the seals and turbo shaft after dyn penuis turned it off after full chat !

i took it out to see what it was boosting and on the first setting it was hitting 10psi which was a little high for the first setting so i turned it down so now its on about 6 psi so well chuffed !
C20letlad

Re: My cav turbo

Post by C20letlad »

now as this bloody fault is really doing my head in it was time to have another play with the cav so i decided to take the head off and see what if any thing i can see and as always nothing lol

many thanks heath and nicci for picking me up a 1.9mm head gasket from regal !

now as taking the turbo off is a mission i thought this time i will leave it on and take the lot off while stripping i did notice the cams are still black and have not worn in yet !! that how little miles this engine has done everything has come off so well i dont need to do any cleaning !

my first set of vxr injectors
ive decided my vivaro intercooler is not good enough now and needs replacing so ive aquired this

I have also got a new grill to help the airflow into the engine bay
old
new
now there is tape in the middle due to the paint reacted

so this should help a little lol

well after fixing the wire into the plug it still didnt boost right so out came the ecu i opened it up and found the plug had come out so i refitted the plug and now its working as it should ! (still mising at 6k tho lol)

so i thought it was time to fit the fuel reg which i had got from rix after much head scratching i found a place to fit it piped it all in only to find once i had set the pressure and run it up the road it decided to lock up and stop the car from running due to the fuel pressure going through the roof (but thats another story)

also i had got a tx pipe kit and a 68mm throttle body which ive fitted as well

i had aquired a vxr actuator which after a we bit of fabrication i got it to fit (just to see if it would help the problem )

a close up of the 68mm throttle body and the other standard throttle body

so tonight i was under it again replacing the turbo gasket and cutting down the eds top hat that i have on it and replacing the pipe from the tx pipe to the eds top hat

so thats how it sits at the mo i need to replace the manifold to turbo gasket as its blowing a little and the last pic shows how much i cut off the eds top hat as well as the vac pipe that didnt like the heat from the turbo after a quick run out to stellars !

so i have the mot saturday and after that i will fit the vxr injectors as now i have an adjustable reg on it that i have borrowed from good old mr trig !

so at the mo i dont know what its doing as long as it runs i really dont care lol

so now im off the road for a little while as i need to get head bolts !

and i might take a trip to my engine builder as i need to have a few threads sorted which have gone a little tits up

but here is where i am at at the mo after finishing trigs cav i turned to ours and started to remove the old intercooler which i will be honest i felt a little sad to remove it as its done so well over the years and the comments that were thrown at me at the time i fitted it were blown away as ive never had a problem form a plastic ended cooler !
So once the bumper was removed i set about removing the old vivaro cooler and looking at what space i had to play with

hurm a bit bigger me thinks lol

so with to old coler off i set about moving the oil cooler over to give me more room as the new one was a little longer so i refitted it more to the n/s so the pipe work off the turbo would fit
then i fitted the new pipe inbetween the chassie leg and rad repiped it with 63mm pipe work from the turbo to the top hat
it then was time to refit the bumper and this is where i thought i would have to cut the umper beam in two but 3 slots later it was held fast and the bumper inner skin could be fitted with a little trim it was refitted with out to much cutting then came the outer skin again a small trim and this time i cut out behind the number plate and it was fitted so i still get to keep my fogs and have a bigger cooler !
yes ive refitted my plate but again a have a idea for the plate !
so once that was finished it was time to fit my new grill whih i like but some dont and to be honest its more for air flow into the bay then looks !
it was time to take her for a run to see how she run and to make sure the pipe work didnt want to blow off ! all went well it played up once on the way out of town but was fine everytime i booted it so i will see !
so off to a car park for some pics

the new grill

not the best pics but it was bloody cold lol
and yes it needs a good wash !
so hopefully a new up date will be coming shortly
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Looking good! I'm fitting the same setup to mine at the minute, have you got any more pics of your waterpipes off the turbo?
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

i decided to get my butt into gear and sort the front end out as the front cross member had gone rusty and i had attacked it with a hammer a few years back i had picked up a front crossmember a while back and i thought it was time to replace it.

so off into the garage i went and i started to remove the front end untill i got to the crossmember now the one i got was a compelet panel so i removed the old one leving the ends still on the car as to save myself removing the wings and they were solid anyway so ive drilled the spotwelds out and then cleaned up the bits i needed to

so thats where i left it as i need to get some zinc primer and some vauxhall spray sealent before i weld the new panel in as there are a few things i want to do before the new panel is in

so for the moment thats the first up date in a while lol

Update 3/2/2012

Well it was time to attack the rear 1/4 that has bugged me for years we bought it with the rust on the rear 1/4 7 years ago and sue to not wanting to touch it we left it well alone but now was the time to sort it out and see how bad thing were so after a quick poke a hole soon appeared and so i attacked it with a grinder and a big wire wheel to see how bad things were

so once i had a the hole a had already sorted a part for it from dave a fair while back (i had cleaned that up a while ago )
so i set about cutting the bad metal out using the new bit as a template

the inside looks worse than it is so i set about with the wire wheel cleaned it all up popped some rust cure over it and left it to dry.
once dry i test fitted the new bit and all looks well

i then blasted zinc primer in there and began fitting the new panel, from the factory they are glued along the small edge so i used a strong sealant and set it into place making sure it all lined up then tacked it into place

then i carefully welded along the two panels

and then i ground the weld down

so once its been all cleaned up i was left with bare metal so a quick blast of zinc primer i was happy a friend is coming over to do a light skim over it and it will be off to the body shop once a few other jobs are done

Update 5/2/2012

well as there was snow all around i decided it was time to head for the garage and do a bit more so a quick flick with the grinder on the rear arch just to finish it off,It was time to refit the front cross member which i had removed the other day
i lined it up and bolted it up in two places and with a few pairs of mole grips i set forth to weld it back on

so once i had spot welded it back on i had to seal the welds some i ground down but due to not having certain tools i had to leave the rest but it can not be seen so im not worried ! i also welded the oil cooler plates into place as they are normaly bolted in place but due to ive moved it along i decided to weld it in place instead of bolting it

Once that was dry i got the zinc primer out and went over the sealant and then it was time for the undersealing now working for vauxhall has been a help as we have been using this on some of the cars (due to a fault lol)

after i had used a fair anount on the car i left it to dry and then hit it with some normal black paint just to make it look brighter lol

after that i refitted the bumper irons and the intercool and bumper beam and thats how it sit at the mo !

i will drop the cooler back of at some point to do some more undersealing and im looking at painting the headlamp beam at some point

so enjoy lol
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

looks sweet dude ;)

my mate has the same wheels on his cav turbo to :cool
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Very nice mate love it
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

TurboDan wrote:Looking good! I'm fitting the same setup to mine at the minute, have you got any more pics of your waterpipes off the turbo?
i just reused the old pipes of the kkk and twisted them around a bit im looking at getting a gt3070r turbo for it but i might change the manifold too

gsi pie wrote:looks sweet dude ;)

my mate has the same wheels on his cav turbo to :cool
yeah i know adam has ive had them on for about 6 years now ! i only run them due to the 330mm discs and 6 pot calipers

cheers for the comments guys its been hard at some points and ive nearly thrown the towl in a few times !
SteLowis

My cav turbo

Post by SteLowis »

Good work mate
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

great stuff kev, although i have to say that front splitter looks like it's complaining a bit in this pic! hehe!

look forward to more progress
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

lol yeah its is

can this thread be moved to the right forum please its more of a rebuild thread cheers
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

no problem.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

whats the cavalier in your profile pic? do you have another cav other than the turbo?
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

humbucker wrote:whats the cavalier in your profile pic? do you have another cav other than the turbo?
lol thats from a long time back it was a 1.8 but i stuck a 2.0 redtop in it and then sold it i think it got broken a long time back

and thanks for moving the thread
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Great pictures 8-)

The water pipe that leads to the header tank, does that npt melt next to the manifold? I was going to route mine that way but wasn't sure it would survive or not.
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

looks stunning mate :love :thumb
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

TurboDan wrote:Great pictures 8-)

The water pipe that leads to the header tank, does that npt melt next to the manifold? I was going to route mine that way but wasn't sure it would survive or not.
its not melted yet mate on its been like that for years !
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Well it's been a long time since I was here and to be honest not much he happened to the cav it's been rested up since 2012 and has only been on the road once ! And that was just to take it to work while I had my drive done ! I Will try and up date things since I was last on lol
Ads

Post by Ads »

welcome over to cavmk3 Kev, and its about time you done some work on that cav, been laid up far too long, Ads
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Lol I've been here since 2008 ! And yes I know o should pull my finger out I've got to order some bits and I've found the pic of my turbo set up just need to post it up for you !
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Well it's been a while since I updated this thread and yes I still have it ! And I've had a few things done to her since I last updated it

Sooooo
Now ive had this cav for around 11/12 years I've done all sorts to it over the years all mechanical never any body work as such !
So it was time to have some body work done to her as she has sat for a few years under its covers ! I had a local body shop come round and give me a quote on a few things so once that was sorted it was time to strip her down........
So off came her covers
Drivers side stripped down and I was happy to find the sills were solid
All the front removed
Back end stripped down Image
Bits that I've removed and new bits to be painted
And her she is loaded up to be taken away now this cav has not been out of my sight since I've had her so watching her disappear in a trailer was a little sickening to say the least !
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

ImageImage
ImageImage
And some new clips to help it along !
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

I've had the front done drivers and passenger door done the rear quarter body kit on the drivers side boot lid and spoiler and mirror covers done !
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
So she is nearly back together a few finishing touches and she's done ! Then it's mot time
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Well I've also bought theses
As my old ones have seen better days !
I've also ordered some new door speakers as mine have had it so just got to wait for them lol
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Well some better picks of her
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Well I picked up a new o2 sensor for it and fitted it as the original one is 13 years old and the only thing I have not replace in all that time lol