project cav 2.5 V6 CDX!

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Re: project cav 2.5 V6 CDX!

Post by Envoy CDX »

should be an interesting project.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

Squig wrote:sounds like some good plans (except for the colour coding the dash... yuk!) can't wait to see what you get done by the RR
i doubt i'l get any of that done really by the RR day.

only things il prob get done are:

CDX V6 badges on the wings
new lightened flywheel
new gearbox
new clutch kit
ECU remap

other than that, i doubt il get much more done.

im leaving the SRI skirts, front bumper + rear arches respray until after the MOT in Aug, incase it fails majorly which i doubt as i cant find anything it will need.

still, il get her done soon enough.

Dave
my driveway's like a 1986 vauxhall forecourt lol (apart from my mk3 cav's!
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

actually,

if the RR day is the end of Aug, i will have had both my rear arches + pass rear door re-sprayed, the front bumper re-sprayed, think im gona re-spray the slam panel + bonnet aswell, not 100% sure yet. gona get some SRI facelift skirts for it, and have them sprayed + fitted while its at the bodyshop, and do the rest, so it should have the following done to it by RR day:

CDX V6 badges on the wings
new lightened flywheel
new gearbox
new clutch kit
ECU remap
turbo defiltered rear lights
front bumper re-sprayed
both rear arches + pass door resprayed
SRI facelift side skirts sprayed and fitted
pair of new pirelli tyres on the front (going on next week)

thankfully, a mate of mine knows someone who runs a bodyshop, and he has agreed to let me use his bodyshop for the weekend for free, all ive gota do is buy the paint etc which is fair enough, and seeing as i used to work in a bodyshop, i should be alright with it.

seriously tempted with a complete body respray, but to be honest, i cant be arsed with the hassle involved lol. aslong as i get the front bumper, rear arches + door sorted, im happy with her.

also, if i can get a set, and find someone who can fit them for me, il get it lowered aswell, but im not overly bothered on doing this tbh, as it handles fine as it is.

still, she'l be a nice motor once she's done (well in my opinion anyway lol)
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

right, little update:

CDX V6 badges fitted to wings
chrome bonnet lifters fitted
strut brace fitted
redtop engine cover that reads 'V6' instead of 'ecotec' fitted, and colour coded to car
vibe sub + JBL amp fitted
new pirelli tyres fitted + balanced this morning.

pics:

and the cav is booked in for a mot next thurs at a vaux garage. so hopefully she will pass her mot.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Looking good mate. You say you have a Vectra V6 ramair filter. Is it the same oulet diameter as the Cavs? 75mm
C30XE
cavyman

Post by cavyman »

oft that strut brace looks a bit to close to the inlet l be suprised if you dont start gettin hassle with that.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

HAIRIBO wrote:Looking good mate. You say you have a Vectra V6 ramair filter. Is it the same oulet diameter as the Cavs? 75mm
nah, its not the same diameter.
what i did, was the pipe that runs into the airbox lid, i removed, and cut the ends off, as one end has a larger diameter than the other, slid one end into the AFM, and the other into the ram filter, fitted perfectly, and does the job great.

couldn't find a ram filter for a cav V6 at the time, so its well handy that my bodge jobbing worked for once.

i do love bodge jobs, for instance, gaffa tape is holding some flaps inside my boot shut lol. does the job.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

cavyman wrote:oft that strut brace looks a bit to close to the inlet l be suprised if you dont start gettin hassle with that.
its been on for 2 weeks now, and ive had no problems so far yet with it yet, apart from its rubbed some paint off my engine cover on one corner, but i dont mind. it does look quite close in the pic, but there is actually a gap between the strut brace and the inlet pipes/afm etc.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

also, forgot to add one of these - heres an interior pic:

im debating whether or not to get a cavalier GSI front bumper for it, and put a laguna splitter on it, or whether to just get the front bumper re-sprayed.

i will be getting a pair of new rear arches welded to her either this month or next, depends how much money ive got lol.
i shall be definately getting both rear arches re-sprayed once the new arches are on, and the pass rear door. i will also be getting the front slam panel re-sprayed, and the bonnet, and the front bumper (whether i stick with standard one or GSI one), as its covered in stone chips etc. also got a pair of SRI facelift side skirts to be sprayed + fitted.

few ideas im not sure about, just wondering what your thoughts are on them:

GSI/turbo front bumper with a laguna splitter on it
pair of headlamp washers

im not sure that if i fitted a GSI front bumper, that it would suit the car with the vectra SRI alloys, and the facelift SRI lip spoiler, boot panel and side skirts on it, where as the current front bumper is the same.

the good thing is that, a mate of mine knows a chap who owns a bodyshop, who has agreed to let me use his bodyshop for the weekend free of charge, all i need to do is pay for any materials + paint i need/use, which is good for me.

parts to get resprayed:

bonnet - due to dent + stone chips
front slam panel - due to stone chips
front bumper - due to stone chips
both rear arches - due to getting new ones welded on
pass rear door - due to massive dent on lower 1/2 and a few little dents
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

still not sure on the front GSI bumper.

im 99% sure im going to get one, and ive found a chap breaking one in the same colour as mine, so i think il be taking it.

just bought some headlamp washers, cav turbo smoked rear lights (which i shall defilter), a pair of bonnet vents, and a laguna splitter for mine, so i think i'l be having a GSI front bumper for it after all.

shall update pics once its all been fitted!
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

Which vents are you putting on?
C30XE
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

HAIRIBO wrote:Which vents are you putting on?
ive decided against the bonnet vents now.

however.

ive just bought a cavalier turbo/GSI front bumper, with the laguna splitter attached to it.
a pair of headlamp washers
and a pair of cavalier turbo rear lights. i will tint my number plate board reflectors to match the lights.

should be looking good once thats all done!
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

hmm.

im seriously considering taking the cav off the road for a few months, dropping the lump out of it, and just going mad with it.

if i did so, i would:

port + polish both the cylinder heads + get them re-conditioned,
re-port + polish all of the inlet to increase the diameter of it all,
enlarged throttle body
get some custom made exhaust manifolds + enlarged downpipes + sports CAT
have it re-mapped by courtney sport
new larger injectors
magnecor HT leads + bosch super4 spark plugs
cool running thermostat
lightened bottom pulleys
plus god knows what else.

but then, i duno if its worth it on such an old car. i am planning on keeping it for a long time, and she's about to have new rear arches put on her, and both rear arches + rear doors resprayed (to get rid of dents), plus ive just bought some new alloys, and i need to get a new bonnet for her aswell.

hmm,

very tempting though........
cavyboi

Post by cavyboi »

looking good so far bud

keep the pics comming
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

as requested, heres some new pics of my old fruit box.

since the last pics:

GSI front bumper + laguna splitter has been fitted
cav turbo defiltered rear lights fitted
slightly tinted the reflectors on the number plate board to match the new lights

here she at work:

and here she is, parked up yesterday in a layby on one of my favourite local ish roads, a very long bit of straight road that heads into chatteris, Cambridge: (ive got the towing eye cover, just had to take it off for work the other day, so i could drag a corsa out the way lol)

she needs a damm good clean btw, my job for today :)

just bought some Wolfrace 17inch 5 spoke alloys for her, which will be getting re-furbed by myself, im spraying the spokes + out edge in silver, and the rest in antracite, so will hopefully look good when its finished!

still very tempted as taking her off the road, and sorting her out properly ( all dents/rot removed, new rear arches, new bonnet, all scratches removed, SRI skirts fitted, new alloys fitted, engine dropped out and modified properly (custom manifolds, port + polish the heads and re-do the inlet etc, ECU remap, change headgaskets + cambelt, cool running theromstat and so on), get the front seats re-trimmed etc.

really want her looking mint, as im planning on keeping her for a long time,
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

lol, ive just realised that i appear to buy all of my alloys from cambridge, as heres my old vectra in the same layby, on another alloy collecting voyage:

god i regret having sold that vectra, was such a nice car, but i felt like a passenger when ever i drove it, and with the gearbox on its way out, i got rid.

but, i had of kept it, then i would never had owned my cav cdx V6, so atleast i can be thankfull for that :)
v6sri

Post by v6sri »

i like what your doin there,youv made a few good choices,gsi bumper,lights ,interia,uurrr tow bar ????i like the sound of your alloys.plus thats a fine list of engine upgrades youv got planned im goin down the same route but its hard knowin when to stop cus once its all stripped down i just wanna go mental and do everything so i dont regret it once its bk together[cus sod doin it again :lol: ]keep up the good work buddy
1.4 l
1.8 gls hatch & x2 saloon
2.0 cdi pre face lift
2.0 dippy pre face lift & 2 face lift
2.0 gls 16v
1.7 TD gls
2.0 sri 130 seh x2
2.0 sri 115 ne saloon
2.5 v6 auto hatch
2.5 v6 cesero
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

v6sri wrote:i like what your doin there,youv made a few good choices,gsi bumper,lights ,interia,uurrr tow bar ????i like the sound of your alloys.plus thats a fine list of engine upgrades youv got planned im goin down the same route but its hard knowin when to stop cus once its all stripped down i just wanna go mental and do everything so i dont regret it once its bk together[cus sod doin it again :lol: ]keep up the good work buddy
cheers mate!

thats exactly how i feel. i dont wana drop the lump out, and only do a few bits, i want to do everything to it in one go, so that i dont have to take it off the road again lol.

would love to get rid of the towbar, but sadly i need it for towing my little box trailer, plus never know when it will come in handy.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

little update

:( my gearbox has given up on me, so i have had to take the cav off the road, and bought a astra Mk3 as a run about while i change the box on it.

hopefully i'l have the cav back on the road at the end of Sept/early Oct.

if all goes to plan that is lol.
Squig

Post by Squig »

v6sri wrote:uurrr tow bar ????
Try towing without one :D
Let's all face facts towbars are a good thing and they don't have to be a permanent fixture... 4 bolts and a block connector and mines off! and don't be giving me the "but it looks rubbish line"... because I don't care... I can take an engine/a gearbox/the under 25 ladies swedish beach volley ball team home without messing the car... for the last I'd opt to clean her :lol:

Hope shes back on the black stuff soon man... how'd you fair with said astra?
Elwood Blues: "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

Gaz loses sleep for my car and helps me with parts at ungodly hours of the day. Awesome
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

bugger a mate of mine has just scrapped an f20 on mon.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

Squig wrote:
v6sri wrote:uurrr tow bar ????
Try towing without one :D
Let's all face facts towbars are a good thing and they don't have to be a permanent fixture... 4 bolts and a block connector and mines off! and don't be giving me the "but it looks rubbish line"... because I don't care... I can take an engine/a gearbox/the under 25 ladies swedish beach volley ball team home without messing the car... for the last I'd opt to clean her :lol:

Hope shes back on the black stuff soon man... how'd you fair with said astra?
ive sorted the wazzing astra out aswell now lol.
turned out to be the engine/water temp sensor playing up (well i take it thats the one at fault, as it was the first sensor i changed and the EM light hasnt come on since :)

with any luck, my V6 shall be back on the roads at the end of this month, sporting some new blue injectors, ECU superchip, new headgaskets, ported + polished cylinder heads, and new cambelt/tensioners/waterpump/gaskets etc. if i can find some, i'm gona get it some aftermarket manifolds aswell.

then in will go a lightened flywheel, new clutch, and most importantly, a new gearbox :) out of a calibra, so it maybe CR one, havent looked.

i canny wait to get back behind the wheel on the mac of tar in her, where she belongs :D .

will update the progress as it happens!

i also saw my old vectra on the road for the first time in ages today, god it made me want it back. such a nice car.
just glad it was crap to drive, otherwise i wouldnt have my cav v6 now lol.
cav_2.0_gli

Post by cav_2.0_gli »

ok, someone please slap me.
i keep seeing my old vectra, which is making me want to get shot of the cav, n get a GSI vectra again. :o
really annoying me, as i know if i am stupid enough to do it, that il regret it, as not only is the cav faster, but i know how mundane the vectra is to drive.

on the plus side, im going to the windows tinted in the cav, and get the 17inch wolfrace alloys refurbed aswell soon.
while its having the gearbox done, engine rebuilt, new arches welded on, both rear doors + rear arches resprayed, SRI facelift skirts fitted, and some black angeleye headlights + indicators on the front.

should be looking meaty when im done :)
v6sri

Post by v6sri »

nooo dont sell your cav,im gettin rid of my stupid ,useless ,rubish vectra bingo bus estate[thats for sale if any1 wants it]and im pullin out all the stops and gunna get the cesaro through an mot cus i proper miss drivin cavs,even if it is half dun :D
1.4 l
1.8 gls hatch & x2 saloon
2.0 cdi pre face lift
2.0 dippy pre face lift & 2 face lift
2.0 gls 16v
1.7 TD gls
2.0 sri 130 seh x2
2.0 sri 115 ne saloon
2.5 v6 auto hatch
2.5 v6 cesero
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

vectras are just old, cavalier mk 3's are 90's old school. . . . enough said. ;)
C30XE