Cavalier V6 Saloon

Show off your pride and joy! All Mk3 Cavaliers are welcome (please post only one thread per car)
mikegray

Cavalier V6 Saloon

Post by mikegray »

Here is a thread for My V6. hope you all like it.

I bought her in 2006 from someone from Vauxhall Owners Network. I'm only the third owner, the person before me bought it from the police. :D There's alot of over spray on her on the radiator in the door shuts etc. She does have the 150mph speedo, i know she has a sunroof but will explain that later. I did get pulled over once and the copper said it had come up as an old police car on his computer. Here's a pic of her in the original advert.

I went up there to look at her then bought her and drove her back. I remember it to this day how she drove, the power and the noise compared to the old 8V I had before. I was a happy chappie. :D

When I got her home I did some maintenence work to her, changing oils and doing timing belt to make sure everything was spot on. After that I just kept cleaning her and using her every day. After a few months I took her to a rolling road event and I got my ugly mug in the Total Vauxhall magazine for the first time! She pulled 189.9bhp and 191lbf torque, I was pleased with that. The chap at the rolling road suggested with his experience that the car has been remapped for the extra power as I knew it hadn't been cammed as I checked when I did the timing.

After a few months the clutch went when I was driving around, I was a long way form home so the car had to be recovered back to my work so I could fix it. The guy who come out to recover it and is in the picture was trying to tell me it wasn't a Cavalier and that it was a Carlton instead. :lol: :lol: :lol: Once it was recovered back to my work I stuck a new clutch in and I was off again. :D

I fitted Cavalier diplomat leather seats and a GSI front grille after this I regularly maintained her and kept her clean while still using her every day. She got parked up over 2 years due to myself having a life threatening illness. She was parked in the same spot outside the house and someone tried to take her. :cry:

That was all the damage they done they never managed to get into her so just had it repaired, I can't remember but I am pretty sure they never caught the people that did it! Once I had recovered I got her MOT'd and started driving her around again and keeping her maintained and clean again as she had been stood for so long.

After I had driven her around for a bit I decided it was time for 6 gears. I got an F28 and a pot type flywheel pretty local to me which was ideal that was my Saturday job. It all went pretty smooth just a few things needed modifying which I do have some pictures of but I can't remember what they were for so when I do I will post them up. I had the driver's side engine mounting sent off to be custom made to look a bit nicer which I still haven't fitted yet :lol: I welded the bolts to it to keep it all in place. The driveshaft spacer as you can see is custom made, that is the only picture I have, it was spot on and a nice tight fit. I should still have the picture I sent to the engineering company to get it made if anyone wants a copy but I will double check.

Once I had finished I took her for a road test and I couldn't believe the difference, it was like driving a completely different car. I was a happy chappie. :D The reason I had chosen the Pot type flywheel was so that i knew the idle would spot on.

After a while I was keeping an eye on the bodywork and the rust as the tin worm started to come through. I done a deal with my work colleague about getting the rear archers done and the tops of the door shuts on the back as when it rains it leaks sometimes. While he was getting on with that we noticed a few rust spots underneath the rear windscreen so decided to get that done too. When the rear windscreen was took out the roof needed some attention as well, after this we walked round the whole car as I wanted to do some other bits as well but this was going to get done at a later date but as were doing all the other work it might as well get done at the same time. So..............a full re-spray it is then :D as the front panel needed sorting out, underneath the front windscreen needed doing and some areas around the sunroof. My colleague said with the other odds and ends by the time they masked up the rest it would be quicker to paint it and wouldn't cost me much more to do it.

Whilst he was busy with the welder and the grinder I got busy with the engine, although their was no actual problems with it I decided to take the heads off whilst it was off the road to save me doing it in the future. I was glad I did because the head gaskets were well and truly cooked, it was an absolute miracle that they remained sealed as when I pulled it off they fell to bits and they were brittle hard! On the rear cylinder head there was a piece missing on the face so I sorted out another head. I have replaced almost all gaskets and seals along with a new genuine thermostat at £96 :D It looks nice and shiny :lol: a new water pump, timing belt kit, alternator (Vectra one), oil pressure switch, fan control switch and a radiator which had to be re-manufactured as I could not source a new one which cost £240. I also have got a set of G cams, 4 bar fpr and an enlarged throttle body.

At the moment the engine is back together apart from putting the cams in, timing it up and putting the inlet back together. As for the bodywork it is almost ready for paint just sorting out a few buts with the roof. As I said earlier about the sunroof in the ex-police car when we took the headliner down we saw that it had a new roof skin put on so explains why it now has a sunroof as it doesn't look like the original roof which was a bit of concern if I'm honest :lol: I need to get a new exhaust for as when she was sat the rust got to it quite bad. Which was a shame as it was new when i was ill. The pictures I have put up are the only ones I have at the moment but I will take some more in the week for you when I am back at work. hope you enjoy.

If think off anything else i'll put it up in the mean time. Thanks all for your time. :D :wave
Stoater85

Re: Cavalier V6 Saloon

Post by Stoater85 »

Very nice motor. I would not say it has been remapped tho as mine has just run 182bhp and 192 torq completely standard! They produce good figures if well maintained. Why did you not fit the lightened fly? This is what i want to do.
Deegte

Post by Deegte »

Looks well bai. Hard to beat a good 2.5 take some abuse when ya do head gaskets.
Vauxhall once driven forever smitten.
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Stoater85 wrote:Very nice motor. I would not say it has been remapped tho as mine has just run 182bhp and 192 torq completely standard! They produce good figures if well maintained. Why did you not fit the lightened fly? This is what i want to do.
Cheer mate, oh right thats interesting to know. She has been well maintained, i know with the XE's the power depends on how well its been looked after but didn't think it would have so much effect on the V6.

I chose a standard POT type flywheel becasue, if you use a standard flat flywheel from an XE you have to get 2 clutchs to make one unless you use second hand if you can find it. Reason being the flat type doesnt have the same spline pattern as the F28 so the friction plate doesnt fit, so you need an f28 friction plate with and XE flat clutch cover,and if i remember correct but dont quote me, i think there is a difference in the clutch cover/diaphram. Where as if you use a POT it all fits spot on.

The other reason I have heard alot of people not all with a lightened or Xe flat flywheel have some uneven idle isusse's because off the wieghtloss even more so with G cams. A friend off mine had this on his V6 with a lightened flywheel, I fitted a lighter alloy crank pully to counter it and it was fine after.

Thats my opinion hope it helps mate. :thumb
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Deegte wrote:Looks well bai. Hard to beat a good 2.5 take some abuse when ya do head gaskets.

Cheers mate.
Deeksin

Post by Deeksin »

Nice mate bet shes caught a few bad ass crooks in her day!
Deeks cavalier GSi 2000
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=5348
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Nice to see the Mk3 thread up Mike! Did you ever manage to find some footage of the ol' girl in action when she was working for the boys in blue? Must be a pic/vid or two somewhere, you never know!
Stoater85

Post by Stoater85 »

Fair points mate and you have mentioned a few things i didn't know. So regarding flywheel irrespective of running issues- are you sayin you can't get a lightened pot type? Excuse me as i have no great knowledge on this part of the running gear! My mate put one in and it made a huge difference and no real idle issues, although standard cams and gear box. What you say mates perfect sense tho!
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Deeksin wrote:Nice mate bet shes caught a few bad ass crooks in her day!
Yeah i expect so, would have been there best ride :lol:
humbucker wrote:Nice to see the Mk3 thread up Mike! Did you ever manage to find some footage of the ol' girl in action when she was working for the boys in blue? Must be a pic/vid or two somewhere, you never know!
Thanks Mate. No I haven't mate I have tried looking but not had any luck yet. Im still in touch with the person who bought it from the police so i'll ask him.
Stoater85 wrote:Fair points mate and you have mentioned a few things i didn't know. So regarding flywheel irrespective of running issues- are you sayin you can't get a lightened pot type? Excuse me as i have no great knowledge on this part of the running gear! My mate put one in and it made a huge difference and no real idle issues, although standard cams and gear box. What you say mates perfect sense tho!
Yes you can get a lightened POT type the best and cheapset place is chap called vxlgsi on mig i'd speak to him if i were you. Link below. I didn't get a lightened pot as i wanted to keep a bit of weight like I said i cant remember the weights of the flat and pot types i got it somewhere will did it out.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/items-sa ... -list.html

Thats ok mate, theres a couple of things that need doing to get it all too fit there is a how 2 guide on here I haven't red it though, but if need help with anything give us a shout :thumb
Stoater85

Post by Stoater85 »

Sound mate appreciated. Id love 3litre cams and the lightened fly, but its all money!
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Stoater85 wrote:Sound mate appreciated. Id love 3litre cams and the lightened fly, but its all money!
Yeah I know what you mean mate, G cams are alot cheaper now than before. Dont forget even a standard pot flywheel is alot lighter than a V6 Flywheel, its a massive difference you would believe unless you felt it, and you can get them for about 20quid. An engineering frim might even be able to lighten it for you that might work out cheaper. If you get G cams put 4 in not 2!

Your welcome mate.
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Sorry mate just found this, it might help your descion.

Flat type flywheel is 7.2 kg
pot type is 9 kg
Stoater85

Post by Stoater85 »

mikegray wrote:Sorry mate just found this, it might help your descion.

pot type is 9 kg
cheers mate handy info - also yes, 4 cams id want rather than just the two! is it as simple as just replacing the cams tho? or are there other parts you need to change too to allow this to run?
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Stoater85 wrote:
mikegray wrote:Sorry mate just found this, it might help your descion.

pot type is 9 kg
cheers mate handy info - also yes, 4 cams id want rather than just the two! is it as simple as just replacing the cams tho? or are there other parts you need to change too to allow this to run?

No I didn't need anything else mate, only new oil seals etc. If i think of anything i'll let you know.
mr v6

Post by mr v6 »

looking good there,im also doing the f28 conversion and have the pot flywheel,i figured that although not the lightest its nearly half the v6 fly and like you makes clutch selection easy.
i have my box and flywheel just need to get the clutch and LET flywheel bolts
i take it you used the f25 rear mounting block?must get mine done now,once got the wonga hate that step from 2nd to 3rd it kills it
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

mr v6 wrote:looking good there,im also doing the f28 conversion and have the pot flywheel,i figured that although not the lightest its nearly half the v6 fly and like you makes clutch selection easy.
i have my box and flywheel just need to get the clutch and LET flywheel bolts
i take it you used the f25 rear mounting block?must get mine done now,once got the wonga hate that step from 2nd to 3rd it kills it
Thanks mate, yeah exactly much easier. Yeah i think it was the f25 rear and f28 front mounts, as if i remember correctly i was told to use f28 rear mount which i tried and it didn't fit.

I no what you mean its definatly worth it. I would like to try an f20 with the f18 final drive to see what thats like. I do have some spare boxes will do it one day to see the crack :D
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Right think its time for some progress on the old favorite!!

Well where to start, after a bit of an absence im back to work on her. The engine is all together working as it should. It now has 4x G cams, bigger throttle body, pair of metal x25xe cam covers, new seals plugs gaskets all that stuff. I also have a pair of exhaust flanges that were made for me to mess about with. So that side is pretty much done apart from another oil and filter when it goes on the road, and the engine cover being modded for the oil filer cap. Heres some pics of the engine during rebuild i will take some of it now.

As for the other things you may have seen my arguement with the electric windows which is doing my head in.

Also i have wired in the Vectra B remote central locking installed vectra door handles, and matching ignition barrrel. I wired up the locking side and when it worked i was chuffed, then i had a vectra come into work and when i locked it the indicator flashed and i thought... i need that in my life. So i set t to work and hey presto :) click on the pic for the vid.

Youll have to take my word for it the other side works at the same time :lol:

Moving on The car has been lowered 40mm with new springs and shocks. Will get pics soon. I have new bushes track rod ends etc still to do.

I have bought a set of Turbo seats from Humbucker to put in there just waiting for news on how the refurb is going on them d day is the 14th so ill keep you up to date. I also have a few new bits of carpet and odds and ends which should set it off nicely.

The bodywork has been happining lately and shoud be getting some paint and final preps week after next :D. heres some pics,

Thats all i can think off at the moment will put up some more as soon as it happens, by the way it has to be done before christmas :santa
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Great work on the v6.

Not so sure on the choice of background music though!!!
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

thanks mate, don't blame me blame the DJ. A mini update.

After working on her all Friday night until about 10ish I sort of figured out the problem with the windows. I had a piece of loom missing so that's why nothing is tallying up. I do have the fronts working on the master switch but the individual ones aren't working yet.

I have no idea what ages or model the wiring I have came from. Its not in the best condition to be honest but i can work with it and make it good again. One big problem with it especially with the rears all the plugs have been cut on the body side. Which does make things a bit more difficult.

This week i need to sort out the individaul switches, wire the rears, and im going to wire up total closure from the remote locking. I will add some more pics in a day or so as i havent taken any, so whatch this space. Times Ticking!! :lol: :lol:
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

Nice project matey :cool :thumb good read so far keep up good work :thumb
[center]Image
[/center]
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

What's it like with 6 gears? I've not had mine for very long but I can definitely agree that on the motorway, they do need 6th once you get up to decent speed. Which doesn't take very long :D

Good project mate.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Cavalier342 wrote:What's it like with 6 gears? I've not had mine for very long but I can definitely agree that on the motorway, they do need 6th once you get up to decent speed. Which doesn't take very long :D

Good project mate.

Thanks mate, yeah its very good recommend to everyone. It is much better to drive I couldn't believe the difference. On the motorway crusing I think 70 is about 2700.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

May be tempted then if I go down the modifying route. Suspect I won't, but there's always something to tinker with :D To be honest, for me, it's bloody quick as it is, I don't need that much power for everyday driving, but it's nice on a good clear out down country roads.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

Fair enough, its still worth doing makes it alot more responsive, revs more like a 16v. Much more fun down country roads :thumb
mikegray

Post by mikegray »

well I thought i would put up a post about the work that has actually happened :lol:

It has been painted!! i am very pleased. I will put the pictures up at the end of this post. It started before christmas, i was told it had to be out of the workshop before the new year. It is still there :lol: :lol:

As per last post, it just needed a few things here and there then painting. So it got all the prep work and then got masked and went in the booth. It then came out like new. Then it was a case of putting it all together. I put the inside together seats in trims etc so it looks like a cav inside. Then i worked on the outside, putting in all the rubbers for the windows doors boot bonnet etc. lights bumpers and all the rest of it, it just seemed endless. When the front bumper was painted it reacted so it has to be done again, the mirrors grile and rear bumper were fine. So the front bumper has been re-prepped and the vectra door handles are to be done as i couldn't decide what colour to do them. Also the boot lid is too be painted as well as it had been done not long before the car came off the road but it just didnt look quite right against the new new paint so might as well do it.

It is pretty much assembeled nw just waiting for the front bumper boot and door handles. I bought a new front windscreen, all new window rubbers, 4x door mouldings, corsa D clear side repeaters, 2 new front indicators (not fitted yet) there's some more but i just cant remember :lol:

I have put some Cav Turbo front seats in, battery and oil gauges, and removed the towbar. The steering and suspension got some work too. New shocks all round, new lowering springs -40mm, new strut top bushes and bearings, new track rod ends and all tracked up too. I think thats how she stands now if there is anything i have missed i will add it. I will also add more info when it happens as well as adding some pictures during spraying as my collegue took them so have to get them from his phone, and some off her know with bumpers mirrors etc on.

Enjoy the pictures...