site suggestion

Let us know if you're having difficulty using any of the forum's features
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
branny361

site suggestion

Post by branny361 »

congrats to all the folk who dedicated all there time and hard work in getting the cavmk3oc forum up and running .
Just a quick comment..
Now ...don 't take this as offensive it's only my tuppence worth but I know the site is "different" in design and layout and takes a bit of getting used to but being the user of a fair few of these forums I notice the style has tended to be standardised like mig, vxon, cavcrazy, etc . using vbullitin

Do you think it would attract more users if it were similar? more a familiar type of setup lots are used to ?

Mark
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
FoxyCav

Re: site suggestion

Post by FoxyCav »

The reason we dont use v-bulletin is that you have to pay for it, this site is free. We arent as big as mig, vxon etc and dont get as much funding (in fact we get none it comes out of our own pockets to keep the domain name etc). Mig and vxon have a much wider range of members who dont just own cavaliers, and there membership is up and running where as ours is only in its infancy.

i know it isnt as easy on the eyes as v-bulletin but i think thats what makes us "special" and not like every other site. Maybe in time when we start to get more members we could consider it, but right now its just not possible i'm afraid.

thanks for your kind comments about the site mark, it is appreciated. hope you understand the reason why the site is like this now. i still think it looks bloody good :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

anita
branny361

Post by branny361 »

It does look good ..I didnt mean it that way , and i now understand the reasoning behind it ..

Again I'll say WELL DONE! I am no way knocking it and admire your efforts in creating the site .... even for free hosting its better then some paid ones... keep up the good work 8-)
now running a swedish vauxhall...

the old cav vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYC4wHjqAhw

the new saab vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-K5L6UDGFk
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I can make this function/appear the same a v but we were running a beta for a while and i had modded the hell out of the forum and when it was updated it all ceased to work due to incompatibility (and locked me out) people seemed to prefer the current style so i left it as it was and now its on a full release mods and such should be future compatable i can upgrade and add features in if people want them.

Tbh its no worse or no better than v, but its free and its reasonable to use.
HAIRIBO

Post by HAIRIBO »

I love the way this site shows you when the last time a thread you've used has been updated. So manytimes On VXON I'v chatted on a thread and a couple of days later you can never find it! :lol: I know its my own fault for not subscribing to the thread, but I dont have to on this site. The only thing I would say would make this site spot on would be a word search feature. But luckerly the the site is soon new its easier t look at all the old thread titles.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK ANITA AND GAZ!!!!!!!
C30XE
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

lol cheers hun. it is appreciated when people like the site, makes us think we are doing summat right :mrgreen:
himselfunknown

Post by himselfunknown »

Yes, the site is top notch and I reckon it's nice to have a different layout ot all the others. The only niggle I find is the 'new posts' tab isn't on every page, but other than that it's cool.
Keep up the cracking work folks, it's the mutts nutts!
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Thanks Tony :mrgreen: means a lot to us when people make nice comments :mrgreen:
as for new posts, i leave website stuff to gaz,im kinda limited in my knowledge :oops:
dave

Post by dave »

FoxyCav wrote:Thanks Tony :mrgreen: means a lot to us when people make nice comments :mrgreen:
as for new posts, i leave website stuff to gaz,im kinda limited in my knowledge :oops:
Thats probably for the best.... lol

Speaking as Admin on 3 other boards (2 non-vaux) (owner of 2) once you go behind the imagery of the site, code wise one BB (Bulletin Board to use it's proper name) is much the same as another.

From a member point of view, I have been on several websites.

VxON
VVOC
MIG - joined but never used
C-Vox
CC
Cavmk3oc
OVOC

and several others. TBH, with the exception of VxON where i'm an R/O for south wales, the others that use vBulletin i tend not to visit very often.
I've always been of the belief, why pay for something when there is something free that can do the job just as well??

I've used (from a builders POV) vBulletin, YaBB, phpBB and several of the We host your forum for free (but bombard you with adverts) sites and to be fair. YaBB and phpBB widdle over vB. I prefer YaBB though as there is no need for a database. You can have 2 installations on the same section of the webspace and they will not interfere with each other. Just alter the command path and the newerone takes over seamlessly.

That from someone who is both in front, and behind the scenes of BB software.
I am.... THE LAW!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

rather than go off topic i thought i'd post here... not entirely unrelated...

when you post on the site you get the 'your post has been a success click here to go to the page' type message. from a usability p.o.v. would it be a better idea to just return you to your completed post rather than put a screen between you and where you would probably want to return to?
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

i keep meaning to sort that, its on my list to do.

And now its done...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Gaz wrote:i keep meaning to sort that, its on my list to do.

And now its done...
nice one :)
dave's.veccy

Post by dave's.veccy »

Im a tad supprised someone hadnt brought that up sooner, i kept forgetting :lol:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

tbh it was one of the easiest things ive ever had to do onsite, had to add in 1 line of code.
Well calling it a line was a bit big, it was about half a dozen words.

Makes the site a lot better the whole thing was a bit annoying.
cav cdx

Post by cav cdx »

I just love it here every thing is great, good job Admin :D
CAVS RULE
FoxyCav

Post by FoxyCav »

Cheers hun, Glad you like it :mrgreen:
anita
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Ye, i agree with everyone else, this site is wicked :) Very easy to navigate when i first joined, and plenty of useful features, e.g. friend lists, the "Jump To" feature so i can get to any forum, few other bits, I really like it. My great compliments to the designers and admins :) :wave
Oh and if you guys may notice, this post here brings the absolute total posts to 16000 according to the main Board Index :D :ugeek: :lol: :grommit
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...