Privacy from non members

Let us know if you're having difficulty using any of the forum's features
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
Mikebmth

Privacy from non members

Post by Mikebmth »

Hi guys,

I have just noticed that if I try to go onto the "work in progress" section lets say then I can access any builds without having to sign in, this never used to be the case as certain areas were limited.

My issue with this is privacy for the members, I don't really want to blank out my numberplate in every pic and some may say its me being fussy but I would prefer members only to be able to see certain things we post onto the forum.
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
corey

Re: Privacy from non members

Post by corey »

id agree with that too mike
92 Gsi 4x4
91 Gsi 16v
90 Gsi 4x4
93 4x4 8v
90 4x4 8v
95 4x4 turbo (ex police)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

We'll take it on board and review but this was done to try and draw more members to the site and forum.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Fair enough but look at some of the idiots on the FB page who think posting videos of burn outs is cool...

I'd much prefer my details etc to be safe and a club I am a member of to at least give me the option to have public viewing enabled or not as so many others do including a remove me from google search function.

Not arguing, just making a valid point..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Mikebmth wrote:Fair enough but look at some of the idiots on the FB page who think posting videos of burn outs is cool...

I'd much prefer my details etc to be safe and a club I am a member of to at least give me the option to have public viewing enabled or not as so many others do including a remove me from google search function.

Not arguing, just making a valid point..
Hi Mike,

You can point the finger of blame squarely at me for this one. I wanted to open all areas of the board up to new blood, the rationale being that curious parties are more likely to sign up if they can see what they're actually going to be able to participate in. The exception to this rule is 'The Forecourt', where classifieds and club-exclusive offers are intended only for active members of the forum.

I appreciate your concerns, although I don't think you need to worry about the Facebook page and its users. As I've said before, that particular social media account is totally separate from the forum insofar as it is no longer associated with us in any way (it started well enough, but we will be distancing ourselves from it even more in the not-too-distant future for the reasons you raise and many more (it's just a dumping ground for people who have no interest in contributing to the club!)). The users of that channel do not venture here, and largely vice versa. Two different audiences.

I blank out my car's reg plates when posting online, although I appreciate that not everybody has the patience to follow suit. Even so, I can see why you might be concerned about your previously protected project thread suddenly becoming visible to all, but it might be worth considering the fact that your MIGweb thread is unprotected and exposed to a far bigger audience:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects ... build.html

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. We'll have a natter and look at the value in adding an opt-in policy for new and existing 'Showroom' threads.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Didn't realise Migweb was public viewing....Damn

I'll just make sure my plates are blanked from now on, bit of a nuisance having to do this with all my pics but hey ho..