Use of Photobucket

Let us know if you're having difficulty using any of the forum's features
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
Telegram Sam

Use of Photobucket

Post by Telegram Sam »

I would like to post up 24 pics of my "fully restored" SRi which I am now having to get re-shelled. But I don't want to swamp the thread with so much data. Can I put the pics in a dedicated album on Photobucket and put in the thread just a link to this album for those that want to see? I've got the pics in a large zipped file. If "yes" then how exactly?
'91 H-reg SRi "130" manual hatch 8-valve non cat with mods
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Use of Photobucket

Post by Robsey »

I upload all my photo's to individual albums.

Then post a link to any of the photos in that album on the forum page.

If you then tell the forum members to click on the photo, they will be sent to the photobucket site, where they will be able to scroll through that whole album.

Simples.

That is assuming that the album is set for public viewing or only via a link.

For items you want to keep private, obviously set to private or for yourself to see only.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Why not just post the 24 pics on your thread? Nobody wants to go to a third party website to view an album of images when they've already opted to view the project thread/pics.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Robsey wrote:I upload all my photo's to individual albums.

Then post a link to any of the photos in that album on the forum page.

If you then tell the forum members to click on the photo, they will be sent to the photobucket site, where they will be able to scroll through that whole album.

Simples.

That is assuming that the album is set for public viewing or only via a link.
Do you reckon I could send all the pics in a zipped file to a Photobucket album using FTP? Or would that be pushing at the boundaries of technology?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I only use FTP when uploading / downloading files directly to a remote server drive.
Such as a forum database.
(My other forum).

Never tried it for Photo-bucket.

I am sure photo-bucket will only accept picture and video media file formats.
Not any other format such as a .rar or .zip etc..
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

May be Photobucket has got its own ways of importing large / many picture files. I must investigate.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Has Photobucket's layout / format / use of changed since the original directions were posted? IMG within Share Links doesn't seem to figure as such, from what I am seeing, even though I have uploaded a number of pics that I want to add to my thread.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

No change as far as I can tell. This is the result of a simple copy and paste of IMG field code:

Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I'll have a cuppa and try again. My latest pics are now in a PB album. Is it possible to really push the boat out and copy the whole album (not huge) at a stroke, as the caption implied?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Why not just post the 24 pics on your thread? Nobody wants to go to a third party website to view an album of images when they've already opted to view the project thread/pics.
Just done that but it looks like folk are going to have to go to the 3rd party PB website after all
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:
Just done that but it looks like folk are going to have to go to the 3rd party PB website after all
Fixed!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Congrats!
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I am getting contradictory messages about whether or not I can upload mp4 videos to Photobucket. Can anyone shed any light on this?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:I am getting contradictory messages about whether or not I can upload mp4 videos to Photobucket. Can anyone shed any light on this?
All video files are converted to .mp4 format when you upload them to Photobucket, irrespective of source file format. Video limits: the maximum file size for videos on Photobucket is 500 MB when uploaded on the mobile app (150 MB when uploaded through a web browser), and the maximum timeline length is ten minutes.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I have 6 short video clips say 1 minute or so each (50 - 100 MB each), in mp4 format on my hard drive which I am trying to put in a Photobucket album. Overnight it is telling me that it has managed to complete 44% of the upload, very slow progress obviously. But there are 6 red crosses at the bottom of the screen saying that the upload has failed. Two of these appeared quite early on in the process. I don't know what to make of this.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Sounds like timeout/connection issue tbh. Got a screenshot?
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I gave up in the end - it seemed to be stuck on "44%" but with nothing actually showing in the target album. Clue popped up momentarily as I was on the point of exiting: "502 Bad Gateway. The server returned an invalid or incomplete response". As a conversation-stopper that takes some beating. My suspicion is that Photobucket is just not happy with mp4's in spite of what it claims. I am wondering about alternatives - preferably not YouTube which looks too public and too "clever" or messy if you want to try mucking about with tweaks.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

This happens to me sometimes when I upload large amounts of photos.

Try just doing one at a time.
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

I revisited the site with the aim of doing single uploads, only to see that apparently 4 videos (2 duplicated) were already "there" in the album. The good news. HOWEVER my intuition was to click on one of the thumbnails over the ">" to preview and get the thing to run. This causes the screen to go blank, to freeze, and all you can see is the wee circular arrow turning at the top of the screen indicating that it is waiting for something to happen. Strikes me that there is no point in sending links to this for other folk to see if I can't see the original myself. Reinforces my suspicion that PB is not really up to videos.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

PB has been running very slow of late. I recommend YouTube for all video hosting. If publicly viewable footage is a concern, then you can change your privacy settings to ensure that videos are only visible whever a direct link is reproduced, much like privacy settings on Photobucket. Vimeo might be another good video hosting option for you. In many ways, it is better than YouTube (serious video producers use it, whereas YouTube is a home to any old crap dumped out of your neighbour's camera phone). Sadly, the man on the street has never heard of it.
Telegram Sam

Vimeo

Post by Telegram Sam »

Great minds definitely think alike. I latched on to or rather remembered Vimeo 2 days ago and have now used it for the reasons you have outlined. I think it is the classic case of this being a dedicated video sharing application rather than a pic-sharing application that tries to be all things to all people (and isn't). But this did bring back the point that uploading even short video clips takes an awful lot of time (relatively) - it was an overnight job.
I doubt Cav people will have much cause for videos but if so I'd put Vimeo as a first port of call.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

An opportune moment to plug my newly-fashioned video channel... :p
Telegram Sam

Post by Telegram Sam »

Except that it's a YouTube ..
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Telegram Sam wrote:Except that it's a YouTube
Correct. I actually want people to see these videos. YouTube has an unrivalled share of online video viewers.