Starter Issues

Let us know if you're having difficulty using any of the forum's features
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
Ash777

Starter Issues

Post by Ash777 »

I have a Vauxhall cavalier 1.7TD. First thing in a morning I have difficulty starting the car worse in winter. Mechanic said battery was ok at 60%, alternator, starter motor and glow plugs fine. On this forum there have been 2 suggestions a lazy starter or corroded connections. However, rest of the day car starts fine. Also I turn the ignition key on and off a few times, and or somewhat helps with the starting, although couldn't definitely say that it was the glow plug issue. Please can someone help me, thanks.
3cav3

Re: Starter Issues

Post by 3cav3 »

I've never had a diesel cav but have had glow plugs that test ok but a new set cured starting issues on other diesels.. As a new set is so cheap I'd fit them, to at least eliminate them. The only other things I can think of is to have a compression check done at cold and to check the fuel pump timming hasn't gone a tooth or so out at a cambelt change.
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

Thanks for that 3cav3, I'll look into this.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

There is always a chance that the battery isn't up to scratch in cold weather, could be too weak to do the job. Maybe try a full charge if you have an indoor mains charger. Also well worth checking your earth points around the engine bay to see if they are coated in rust/white scale. That won't help.

It sounds like a weak battery though, so eliminate that one first. I would imagine the diesels would need a little extra juice when starting from cold especially.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

Thanks cavalier 342. That was one of the things I was looking at, however I do have a Lucas battery so will see after process of elimination.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would fully charge the battery anyway.
If it charges too quickly, the battery is getting weak.

The glow plugs do suck a lot of amps from the battery during them first four of five seconds.

I have a CDTi Vectra-C, and the only starting issues were a weak battery and tired glow plugs.

It helps that I got into the habit of not cranking until after the glow plug light goes off.
In extremely cold conditions, I have cycled the glow plugs twice, before cranking.
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

Thanks a lot. I have ordered the glow plugs and will either wait and see how it fires up or I might as well replace the battery. I have had these cars for years and I always turn the ignition key a few times to warm up the plugs in winter.
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

I have replaced the glow plugs and the battery, still the problem exists :cry :cry, what can the problem be, please help members.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The old diesel set ups are quite simple.
Speaking as a petrol owner - :roll:

There can only be a few sources of issues.

Electrical: -
Wiring - all checked to be in good condition and securely connected.
Any connectors are clean and securely connected up
Plugs - you have replaced these.
Battery - you have replaced this.
Glow-plug relay(s) / timer module - although usually reliable.

Mechanical:-
Cylinder wear - check compressions
Worn mechanicalls - bearings, shells etc.

Fueling:-
Diesel lift pump or timing.
Fuel filter clogged
Poor fuel quality or contamination.

I am sure you know all this already as a long term diesel owner.

As with any other Cavalier, it will be something simple or something worn.

Sorry that I cannot shed any better light on it than that. :(
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

Thanks. The wired thing is, it starts fine rest of the day only first thing in the morning. My mechanic checked everything. I am considering in changing fuel pump and the starter, as previously comments have suggested lazy starter. One of the days it was a mild and started fine which suggests the cold weather is a contributing factor to some extent hence why the battery and plugs were changed.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suppose - check the cables and connections to the starter first.

Ensure a good clean secure connection.
Along with any earth braids, just to ensure that the starter is getting full voltage and earth return.

Cold weather inferred weak battery or plugs to me too.

I did scratch my head at first when I read starter issues.
As there are two trains of thought.

The starter not working - pointing to a dodgy starter or it's wiring...

Or

The car is cranking fine, but not firing up.

The description again hinted that the car was cranking but not firing up.

My 1.9CDTi has been reported to have a lazy starter at times.
Thankfully, it is still quick enough to cause the fuel to ignite.
Ash777

Post by Ash777 »

Thanks ever so much Robsey. I'll get the starter looked at. Then take it from there.