Wiring additions and diagrams

Let us know if you're having difficulty using any of the forum's features
Forum rules
When requesting assistance in the Forum Support/Suggestion Box areas of http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com, please ensure that you include details highlighting the device and browser that you are using to navigate your way around the forum e.g. 'HTC One M8, Android, Chrome, Landscape Mode' or 'Desktop PC, IE Edge' etc. Admins/mods will be able to respond to posts/queries with more accuracy and greater speed when supplied with this information.
carlos_canter

Wiring additions and diagrams

Post by carlos_canter »

Is it possible for future HOW 2's to have any numbers for wires noted? ie on switches etc.

Colour blind as a bat, so when it says red / green wire i struggle, but if it had a number if available, it would help alot and im sure other people can struggle to tell the colour if the wires are dirty, covered in tape residue etc.

I can tell if 2 wires are the same colour when there next to each other, so i can easily splice a brown wire into a brown etc, but i dont know what they are to begin with.

It would be a great help if it could be done, and would save the missus getting up every 5 minutes.

Cheers
"Redefining success since 1981"
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Wiring additions and diagrams

Post by Robsey »

I can see where you are coming from with this...

I think I do this already...

I know that on other forums I make an Excel spreadsheet table up of : -
1) start point pin number, .... example - radio 40 pin connector - pin 10
2) colour of wire, ......example - green
3) description of wire function,...... example - MS CAN Hi Data Link
4) destination description, and ...example - Graphic Display 32 pin connector
5) terminating pin no ...example - display pin 20

and so on for all the other pins...

I take it that a format like that above is what you mean..
Here's one of mine from the Vectra-C forum...
dab2.jpg
For the colour blind, the significance of the blocks at the end is irrelivant, however these represent a visual representation of the wire colour.
The first block is the main colour and the second block is the stripe colour.
carlos_canter

Re: Wiring additions and diagrams

Post by carlos_canter »

Some thing along those lines would be good,

I added a extra window switch to the passenger front door on my car and struggled with the colours, but the numbers on switches and multi plugs would make it easier to identify.

Switch wire no - 2 would go to motor pin 4

Or if compnent wires are listed on a thread can the number on the plug be noted aswell?

It may make life a little easier for all, especially when components are the same, but makers change colours of the wiring loom.
"Redefining success since 1981"