Not a car but a bike

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
C20letlad

Not a car but a bike

Post by C20letlad »

Well I know I've not been on much due to many reasons and here is one of them
It's a Yamaha r6 a 1999 model I bought it with a running problem which I've now sorted after taking the carbs off and given a dam good clean due to bad fuel all that's left is to balance the carbs up and a fresh mot and it will be good to go ! Or so I thought

Right where do I start I spent some time on this painting bits and cleaning bits new levers front updated discs braided hose for the rear gave it a mot and balanced the carbs it all seemed to be going rather well getting it ready once I've passed my test ! Now this is where it went kind of down hill ! I failed my test by 2 seconds yes 2 a complete clean sheet no minors nothing ! And he failed me but that's another story lol so with this in mind I carried on cleaning buying parts and this is where it goes really wrong lol ( hay dad can I borrow your bike as I've killed mine !) Now really I should have said no ! But I didn't so he used it for a while wore out my tyres and then he came back from a ride out and said ( erm it's misfiring ). So I started having a look and found cylinder 1 had no compression so the engine was gone and a rebuild was just way to costly !
C20letlad

Re: Not a car but a bike

Post by C20letlad »

Yep that's a huge hole in the block and the rest of the cylinder were down on psi so I started looking for a engine I soon found out that 5eb engines are not the best so I started looking into other r6 engines I soon found out others look the same but don't fit ! Or do they I soon found out a 5sl engine will fit but with a bit of work as I found out Chris's bike had one fitted Image so out it all came and I stripped off what I needed and picked up a 2004 fz6 engine
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

I had to alter some of the engine mounts to get it to fit swap heads oil pumps sumps and a few other bits but in it went and a very nervous start up it slang into life with out to much of a fuss

Now there's a few little things it needs like a dyno run and a full set up to be sure and for interest what bhp it has ! So while it was in bits we looked at a swing arm conversion from a newer r6 so with a few new bits we set to work fitting it
C20letlad

Post by C20letlad »

Also while I was there a new set of lights from these
To these
So some final pics I've also so painted the wheels front forks the discs and anything else I could lol
So here she is all running waiting for me to pull my finger out and redo my test lol

Oh and this is another toy I've been sorting out as well this is the wife's run around !