My VERY RUSTY VW T25 Camper Van Project

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: My VERY RUSTY VW T25 Camper Van Project

Post by Robsey »

You are more or less 100% spot-on.

Most people find it easier via the post-office, assuming that they have a V112 with their V5 / V5C.

Here is guidance for those with pre-1984 vehicles

https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/mot-exemption-i ... ril%202025

--------------------------

I think my issue, is that I was applying for a V5C, in my name without the previous keeper's original V5
Armed with a V62 and V112 (MOT exemption).

I am sure it will all come out in the wash, when the van is finally roadworthy.
Assuming they don't change the rules again before then.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

3cav3 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:42 am I actually feel though that mot exemption is downright dangerous for the average person off the street, a lot seem to think that this means that they can drive any old shed on the road. Unless like myself they've got a mechanical background then at least a basic safety check should still be compulsory.
A colleague of mine retored his father’s mk1 cortina and says that the owner can choice to have their vehicle MOT’ed or not.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is correct.
I would certainly plan to continue getting the van tested, once it is finished.

Modern parts just don't last as long as they did before they were sub-contracted to Chinese manufacturers.
It appears, to me at least to me, that 2020 marked the change to naff parts.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Sooner or later there's going to be a fatal accident caused by a vehicle not getting mot'd. Personally I'm able to check cars over to see if they are safe, every issue with my Volvo on the last test I was aware of, just a little surprised as to how much it cost to rectify. However you take my wife, I firmly believe that if the engine fell out she probably wouldn't notice until it rolled to a stop. The problem is there's a lot of people out there like her that will carry on driving if there's no check over at least once a year. I fully get why they bought in the exemption as applying new rules to old vehicles just doesn't work, but at least keep a brake check, along with lights and heavy corrosion checks once a year for peoples safety.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sadly, with age, bad weather, and reduced inclination to get onto the floor, I am heading the same way.
To be honest, I can get onto the floor, it is just getting back up again without the aid of a block & tackle, fork lift truck or a crane.
At the moment, my little successes of getting back up again are based on myth and magic.

It gets quite shocking what my historic MOTs have shown up.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:53 am Sadly, with age, bad weather, and reduced inclination to get onto the floor, I am heading the same way.
To be honest, I can get onto the floor, it is just getting back up again without the aid of a block & tackle, fork lift truck or a crane.
At the moment, my little successes of getting back up again are based on myth and magic.

It gets quite shocking what my historic MOTs have shown up.
I remember in my youth (Just 5 years ago :thumb ) I used to be able to push myself back up from lying on the floor with just my legs no hands to push up. Now it's like an upturned turtle, no not that bad but yeah I think it's more my knees I'm trying to preserve as I see how many people are starting to have issues with them as they age so I've got big chunky knee pads nowadays.