Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

cavalier1990 wrote:I may be wrong here, and it may be the way I'm looking at the pic, but is that maybe part of the shape of that section?
I think you're probably right, it was definitely bent before but after straightening I think it's close to the original profile.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After nearly a month I still haven't received my spring seats, yet another car parts supplier that I'll have to avoid in future. I don't know why I have to fight firms so much when it comes to car panels?
After a lot of hunting I have managed to hit the jackpot and find these genuine ones.
Didn't think I would as Vauxhall stated they have been discontinued.
Got to admit there's something really nice about fitting genuine panels, just a shame nobody will get to see them, lol.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Went back up the unit this morning, I usually go Sundays , however it's me and my wife's 17th aniversary tomorrow so thought I may get shot so did a Saturday instead despite the forecast.
The main of the job today was rebuilding the front cross member, in places it was originally double skinned but I have replaced it with thicker single skin to try and limit the water traps.
Imagepictures upload free
Also red oxide the inner wing, originally I thought this was going to have to be replaced, however after stripping it back I was pleasantly surprised how solid it was, saved hours of realigning the bumper mount.
Packing everything was when disaster struck. When I got a replacement bottle of gas the other day, I can't of fitted the securing chain properly. Entirely my fault, but over the bottle went smashing my regulator and gages. Just hope the replacement arrives soon!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Congratulations on the anniversary tomorrow.
17 eh?,
virtually newly-weds... lol :love

Oh - and "bugger" about the gauges and regulator :roll:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks on both counts. It's the big one for us as my wife was only 17, so we've been together half her life.
The gauges have cost about £40 with carriage, just hope they arrive on Tuesday as promised.
Oh I can now see what you meant about the face earlier, couldn't at the time but can now.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

3cav3 wrote:Thanks on both counts. It's the big one for us as my wife was only 17, so we've been together half her life.
Sheesh - I met my wife two years before yours was born.
3cav3 wrote:Oh I can now see what you meant about the face earlier, couldn't at the time but can now.
Yes, it comes and goes for me too.
Very "twilight zone"...

Deliveries and supplies have been very hit and miss.
Took me five weeks to get a pasting table so that I could do my roof lining.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

36 years? You must of been young when you met her.

Me and my wife did spend a couple of years in the same school together but never actually met until a few years later.(She was a few years below me) Seems like a life time ago now.
With the gauges I've paid extra off the manufacturer of the welder (Rtech) for a next working day service. So fingers crossed. By the way in not connected in anyway with them but for the money it's not a bad little welder, would definitely recommend it to any hobby welder, but I do find it needs to be run on 0.8 mm wire rather than the 0.6mm they recommended to me when I purchased it.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After about a months wait, my pattern spring seats suddenly turned up without warning. Due to being messed around for so long I was going to simply return them for a refund, however looking closely at them, they look a lot more complete than the genuine ones so I will fit which ever set is going to save me the most work.
On a positive note my gauges and regulator arrived as promised on Tuesday, and as a bonus the regulator virtually doesn't weap over a period of hours like the old one did so should get longer out of a cylinder of gas.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I had the day off work, so thought I'd spend it welding, only problem is the temperature nearly 35c as I'm writing this so am feeling far too hot!
First job was to remove the passenger side door. Nearly 2 bloody hours to get the pins out! Bear in mind Ive been soaking them in freeing oil since before lockdown started and for my daily job I have to regularly get things to move that don't want to. So was very surprised at how much of a fight I had on my hands. Too be honest if it didn't need to come off anyway for the respray I think I may of left it in place and tried to of fitted the sill around it.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

As of dinner time the inner sill has been repaired and red oxided. I'll see how far I can get in this heat this afternoon with fitting the outer sill.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Despite nearly passing out with the heat I've managed to get the outer sill welded in place
Imagephoto hosting
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Good solid welds, and it all looks very nicely lined up.

The heat this week has been rediculous.
Lord help us if we lived in southern Spain - lol.
Hopefully plenty of cool drinks to keep you hydrated,
and wet towels on your head, neck and face to slow down any sun stroke etc.
And sun factor 50 of course. :hair
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

I take it you were using a door pin removal tool, if not I can highly recommend, the pins come out in a couple of minutes.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Really coming along now, I admire your dedication :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for the compliments. The whole project has definitely been a steep learning curve, I always knew 80's Vauxhall's could rot but this takes rust to a whole new level. I bet it could teach the Titanic a thing or two about corrosion! This is my first proper vehicle restoration and it'll definitely be my last.

Just looked up door pin removal tools as have never seen them before. Wish I'd known about them as I was using punches, mole grips etc and kept welding a nut on the end to get leverage on the pin but being spring steel it kept snapping.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Use this it fits vauxhalls ok

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/2133

Correct tools make things so much easier!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

cavalier1990 wrote:Use this it fits vauxhalls ok

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/2133

Correct tools make things so much easier!
Thanks for the link. If I ever have to do the job again I'll be sure to order a set.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Even though we are now in july, the weather has been to put it mildly a bit naff recently. I hadn't touched the van for about 10 days, so even though it was still really too windy to weld outside I still went up the unit this morning and made a sill end closing panel. My oxide primer has started to dry out so the finish looks a bit rough. Once I've finished all the repairs it looks like I'll have a couple of days grinding everything back then seem sealing and stone chipping the lower part of the van.
I found yet another couple of patches of rot( suprise suprise) but due to the wind have decided to leave them till another day.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Instead of more welding I thought I'd have another look at the join in the rear quarter panel. As I expected the filler had sunk a bit, I don't know if the photo shows it?

So after roughing up the surface I applied another skim of filler, then blocked and applied yet another skim to the low spots. Wish somebody could show me an easier way to fill.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

No help here,
but the only way to make it easier, would be to pay someone else to do it :P

Maybe you need to get one of those "seeside wind break" things to provide a canvas fabric enclosure to keep some of the draught out.
You may have to wet the fabric first, in case of any stray sparks.

Or perhaps a gazebo - lol
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

One of these days I'm going to learn bodywork properly, I mean the finishing aspect of it, can't seem to get it right sometime so I just settle for a rattle can and some wet and dry finish! I can't do that on my project, would ideally like to strip the thing back to bare metal but I'd probably make a hash of it, then it would rain and start rusting again lol!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I've already purchased a gazebo to construct a make shift spray booth, the plan is to use the fans off a couple of non working space heaters run through some spray booth filters as I will be using 2pack paint. Hopefully I will be able to hang up my welder soon as I'm already 3 bottles of gas in and am just about to start on my 3rd roll of wire( mini rolls).
Would love to of paid someone to do the body work for me but due to financial constraints I can't stretch to it, plus I'm fed up of people letting me down and never starting jobs that they undertake, so find it is better to learn how to do a job yourself.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After a long time wanting one, I finally obtained a power steering kit. It's actually off a mk3 but like the axle I believe it will fit. Does anyone have a parts diagram please so I can see how to plumb it in?
It was bought sold unseen, but I think the main of it is there. Only real issue is the pump has a ribbed belt pulley and I need a v belt type. I believe they are the same as a cavalier, does anybody have a spare they want to sell or even a knackered pump that I can take the pulley off?

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Is this what you mean?

This is left hand drive, but the general layout is the same.

And pump installation.

Images for Astra-F (mk3) diesel.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

If you’re fitting this you may want to strengthen the mounts on the bulkhead classic problem on the mk2 while you’ve got the welder out.