Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Many thanks Robsey, that's just what I was looking for. Seems a very simple system.
Ian- can you recommend the best place/way to reinforce the mounts please? Until you said, I wasn't aware that Astra's suffered with this issue, I am very keen to get it done to save any future problems.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

All the mk2 Cavaliers and Astras were reported to have too much movement in the rack mounts during which time the bulkhead would flex and crack.

So you could plate over the cabin side of the bulk-head to spread the load over a wider area from the rack mounts.
Then fit poly-bushes in place of the rubber rack mount bushes.
And finally, fit a bracing strut between the near-side rack mount clamp and the suspension tower.

It was discussed a lot in another thread recently.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16913
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Do you have any photos by any chance?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I do not have any photos.

Sadly information is quite scarce, and any old photo links on forums have long since become broken.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Ok, thanks. I haven't yet turned any photos up, I'm guessing a lot is down to photobucket trying to hold people to ransom?, but am struggling to invisage how exactly is best to plate the area and where exactly to put the reinforcement.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

3cav3 wrote: I'm guessing a lot is down to photobucket trying to hold people to ransom?
Not really,
a lot of stuff is "very old" and so in many cases the account holder has either allowed the account to lapse or has deleted the images.

I will try and browse some Saab forums this evening.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

3cav3 wrote:Ian- can you recommend the best place/way to reinforce the mounts please? Until you said, I wasn't aware that Astra's suffered with this issue, I am very keen to get it done to save any future problems.
I’ve seen it done in various ways it’s down to personal preference & materials available, people have used small box section or angle iron to join the 2 mounts together & weld it to the bulkhead as well, the same with the small gap between the bulkhead & the inner wings. Try searching astramk2.com I’ve seen it in various build threads, but can’t remember which ones.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I have been putting off removing the rear windscreen for ages now because ive been afraid that I m likely to crack an almost impossible to replace piece of glass. Today I had a bit of luck because the chap in the next unit to me was having his windscreen fitted so I had a chat with the fitter and asked if he would pop it out for some cash, he gave no guarantees but one drink later it was removed in one piece. As I guessed there was quite a bit of unseen rot under the edge which wouldn't of been long to come back through.
Image[url=https:
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just make sure that you store it somewhere safe and away from harm.

(That is my worry about our camper rebuild - so many windows that could go pop).
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Just make sure that you store it somewhere safe and away from harm.

(That is my worry about our camper rebuild - so many windows that could go pop).
Definitely will do. It's having a clean tomorrow, then will be wrapped up and carefully stored in the loft until I get as far as painting the new tailgate, from the way in which the old ones been painted, it's very likely this tailgate isn't the original one on the van, don't know why it would of been changed? The rear of the van looks too straight to of been rear ended, perhaps it suffered from bad rot?Every other part seems to, lol.

At least with your vw van if any windows get damaged, replacements shouldn't be too hard to source, just might hurt your wallet.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Went back to the unit this morning until the wind got up, and started cutting out what looked like a small bit of rot where the inner arch meets the boot floor. Ended up having to cut away the frilly edge of the chassis rail and only got as far as re welding a new strip of steel to it. Next time I will reconstruct the boot floor/ inner arch once the rust treatment has had time to set, but I think I'm going to have to order up a new tin of red oxide as the dregs in the bottom of this one has started to go lumpy and leaves a rough finish when applied.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Wanted a bit of a break from welding, so for the last few days I've been prepping my new tailgate. It made a nice change to work on a new panel, with only minor surface rust.
Tonight as it wasn't raining I gave it a few coats of etch primer.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

One of the many things my van has issues with is it's locks and keys. The driver's door was screw drivered when it was stolen in around 1989. The ignition switch is showing signs of wear, so I've been keeping my eyes out for a lock set. I missed out on one about a year ago on eBay, and hadn't seen one since until last week. This time I won it( for quite a reasonable price as well) Now all locks will work off the same key. There's even a new filler cap included
Image[url=
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just after lockdown started, I purchased a new Kenwood head unit for this van after getting messed around with a genuine head unit. As great as the Kenwood is I knew it wouldn't look right in the dash.
After properly studying an original sales brochure, I realised this van would of had when new a poverty spec radio, without even a tape deck.
The other night on good old eBay I spotted one going cheap.
Here it is;
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

So now the dashboard will look original, however I do still like my tunes, so this is the solution Ive come up with. By increasing the width of the cubby hole by a couple of mm I've managed to get the Kenwood slotted in, out of sight and the bottom storage tray is now just a double din to single din adapter.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure it will look much better when installed in the van.

The joy of 80's cars, is the lack of creature comforts.
Very nice in a simple, "less to go wrong" way.
But frustrating for keeping up with modern lifestyles.

Unfortunatelty retro-looking radios with updated functionality are stupidly expensive.. typically £200-ish. :shock:
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Wow not even FM waveband, you won't have to worry about anybody wanting to steal it.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I doubt very much that any have ever been stolen, even back in their day.
Have managed to finish sealing up the n/s wheel arch. As a temporary measure I've chucked some red oxide on it, but like most of the rest of the repairs, this will be smoothed down before seam sealing and stone chipping, should also look smoother once it's dried.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Small patch at rear aswell.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Woohoo - more progress. Yayy.

There are two trains of thought here.
I know you are a bit critical of the paint / weld finish, but on the interior most of this will be covered.
Whether you carpet, ply-line or use any other means of covering the interior body shell.

But on the other hand, you know what is hidden behind the coverings... good or bad.

Still it is looking great from here.
Far better than feathery rotted steel and holes.
Although obviously, the natural ventilation will no longer be there - lol
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Woohoo - more progress. Yayy.

There are two trains of thought here.
I know you are a bit critical of the paint / weld finish, but on the interior most of this will be covered.
Whether you carpet, ply-line or use any other means of covering the interior body shell.

But on the other hand, you know what is hidden behind the coverings... good or bad.

Still it is looking great from here.
Far better than feathery rotted steel and holes.
Although obviously, the natural ventilation will no longer be there - lol
The plan is in all the unseen areas, just to smooth off any high spots of weld but to not to go invisible as I know that will remove strength from the weld, particularly as I'm a novice at it.
I'm not aiming for concourse/ show queen as I want a van that I can still actually use, albeit carefully. For all the rough stuff I'll be able to use my Mk5 or my works old cabstar( the cab is almost as rotten as this van, lol).
I'm not totally sure how I'll finish off the inside yet, probably ply lined with black carpet so as not to show up the dirt to much.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

In that case, I would go for anthracite or dark grey.

Black will show everything... it is almost as bad as having white or cream for picking up and showing dirt.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:In that case, I would go for anthracite or dark grey.

Black will show everything... it is almost as bad as having white or cream for picking up and showing dirt.
Thanks for the tip, as no matter how careful I am, dirt is just drawn to me like a magnet. Mind you my job with hydraulic breakers probably doesn't help.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

3cav3 wrote:Just after lockdown started, I purchased a new Kenwood head unit for this van after getting messed around with a genuine head unit. As great as the Kenwood is I knew it wouldn't look right in the dash.
After properly studying an original sales brochure, I realised this van would of had when new a poverty spec radio, without even a tape deck. ]
If you're looking for an 'upgrade' on the original ( who knows, cassettes may be the next new trend :scratch ) you might want to keep an eye on this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Cav ... 1438.l2649

Keep up the good work :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

This is like the one that I had in my 1986 mk2 Cavalier

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154020223148