Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

I so badly need to get a shed to store the van in, was going to go to the unit this morning but looked outside and decided to go back to bed,lol.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I know the feeling - brrrrrr!!

It will soon be May, and we will be complaining that it is too hot to work out in the open. :lol: :lol:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:I know the feeling - brrrrrr!!

[ Image ]

It will soon be May, and we will be complaining that it is too hot to work out in the open. :lol: :lol:
That's true, I remember last year welding outside when it was over 30c , I nearly died.
As it was to cold this morning I cleaned up another original radio that I picked up as a spare .
Compared side by side it can be seen that there is quite s difference in the two. I've no idea why they'd go to the trouble of making 2 different designs of such a low spec stereo.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Speaking as an owner of a VW van,
my assumption is it depends upon the vehicle in which the radio is fitted.

Some vehicles have very limited space behind the radio, and so a full depth unit will not fit. (Same as my van).

Other vehicles rely up mounting at the rear of the dash to support the radio, and so a greater depth is required to reach the rear mounts / supports.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

As I'm struggling to work under neath cars due to my joints, my boss has just purchased this for the workshop. Should make my life about 100 times easier now, particularly with welding up the spring carriers.
Image17.12
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Haven't been able to make much progress thanks to the weather, a combination of wind, rain and snow. But have been searching eBay for bits. Have managed to turn these 9 genuine oil filters and 3 cambelts for 25quid all in. That's what I love about obscure vehicles, a lot parts can often be had for bargain prices.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sometimes...
The parts advertised for my van usually come with a huge price tag and the comment "very rare".

But I do like a (NOS) new old-stock bargain. It makes the whole thing more enjoyable.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Sometimes...
The parts advertised for my van usually come with a huge price tag and the comment "very rare".

But I do like a (NOS) new old-stock bargain. It makes the whole thing more enjoyable.
Agreed, some of the body panels I've bought have been eye watering as the seller knew how rare they were. But almost all the engine parts are peanuts as nobody wants them. Last year I bought 2 head gasket sets for 99p. It seems most of the survivors with the MK2 Astra is the sporty versions, nobody bar me would be stupid enough to save a 1.6 old school diesel...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Yet another weekend of bad weather!
Thought I'd have a bit of an experiment with the front wings. After two years of searching I have given up hoping to find genuine ones. The pattern ones id sourced fitted not very well, in fact the drivers side was simply awful.
Yesterday I dug the original wings out.
The drivers side is rotten by the bumper and also had been plated at the bottom by the sill.
Cutting the damage out, I thought I'd do it in two sections to keep the alignment right.

For the doner sections I've cut up the pattern panel.

For some reason the photo of it welded didn't come out so here it is after first application of filler.
I've not been getting on very well with filler so I have tried changing to dolphin. It's more expensive but so far it seems worth the extra.
When the weather improves I will bolt the wing in place so I can align the sill bottom properly. So long as it works ok I will do the same with the passenger side so at least I will still have mainly genuine wings with the better pressings etc.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Originally I planned on fitting calibra leather seats, however I've always fancied fitting the originals back in.
The big problem with this is the drivers seat was holed and stained. Searching the country I come to the conclusion that there was no good condition seats left, plenty of gte seats but nothing base spec
. The back rest cleaned up with a pressure wash and in Germany I located a new genuine seat cover.
A lot of work later it's fitted
I did also turn up a backrest cover however it's priced at £170 odd so at that price the tiny bit of wear left will be fine.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Old drivers seat base
Hence why it had to be changed.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Almost a matched pair in the sunlight. The drivers seat naturally is a bit more care worn but will suffice until I can turn a better replacement up.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The driver's seat looks like it would be fine if you replaced the foam cushions.

The covers still look clean and fresh in the sunshine. :thumb
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I am keeping my eyes open for a new foam piece or failing that a second hand passenger seat to rob the foam from. On the weekend I'm going to try tensioning up the wires in side to hopefully improve things. But overall don't think they look too bad for 33 year old van seats. The drivers seat base cover is new, but the rest are the originals just pressure washed.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote:I am keeping my eyes open for a new foam piece or failing that a second hand passenger seat to rob the foam from. On the weekend I'm going to try tensioning up the wires in side to hopefully improve things. But overall don't think they look too bad for 33 year old van seats. The drivers seat base cover is new, but the rest are the originals just pressure washed.
Not sure if you're aiming for 2 really good cushions, imagine that would be the case, at a push though you can swap the passenger seat base to the drivers if you want a better drivers seat, I done this with cavy, pretty sure the Astra seat is much the same design. More or less 4 bolts and that's it.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Well this rarely happens, something I know about!

My missus, now retired, is/was a City & Guilds trainer & examiner in upholstery . We usually did 3 piece suites, static caravans plus the odd pub & club but have done an old camper and a complete vw beetle (Inc. door cards etc).

Option one is a "re-skin" with medium or high density fire-retardant 1/4" foam. This is easy to work with, keeps costs down and will tighten up the fabric.

Method is soft brush the old foam to remove any surface powder then spray with a good heavy duty upholstery glue to create a bondable surface.
Spray-glue the new foam cut to shape and apply. Where needed e.g. bolsters, the edges can be easily 'feathered' with a pair of scissors.

Method two is a little more involved but may be the best option, that drivers bolster does look tired.

Buy new foam of the right thickness for replacement. You'll probably need a thicker piece for the bolster part but that shouldn't be a problem, the glue acts like a weld, stronger than the surrounding parts.

Tip: The best way to cut and shape thicker/stiffer foam is with an electric carving knife ;)
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thank you for the tips. I'll try and source some new foam. The odd thing is the drivers seat feels way more comfy to sit on than the passenger seat.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
Tip: The best way to cut and shape thicker/stiffer foam is with an electric carving knife ;)
Indeed!!
I used to work with CM65 and LD24 foams to make up and modify bespoke seating for wheelchair users with significant postural needs.
We used to use a Kenwood electric carving knife... as used for your Sunday roast.

We use a CNC router now... 8-)
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

3cav3 wrote:…. The odd thing is the drivers seat feels way more comfy to sit on than the passenger seat.
- I've always felt more comfortable in the driver's seat :lol:

Not too surprising - the drivers seat's been worn in over the years.
Think of all the squirming you do when working the pedals as opposed to passengers who just have to sit there, on the rare occasion I'm a passenger it's always felt like I'm sitting on a rollercoaster seat!
Never used it but a skin of memory foam might give you that instant comfy armchair feeling :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Got to admit if I could find a set I'd go for a pair of velour heated seats out of a high spec Volvo 440. Traveled all the way from Cherbourg to Bordeaux without stopping a few times and at the other end you felt just like you spent the day in a big comfy armchair. I driven most makes over the years and these are definitely the most comfortable, but finding a donner car is likely to be almost impossible. Mine was a 440 ES TD, reg N463TTT, the only car I've ever really regretted selling. A very rare car in its day and now virtually extinct.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Watching wheeler dealers a couple of weeks ago and they took seats to a trimmers to get refurbished. The guy done something to rejuvinate the sagging foam, I think it might have been a steam gun or something, but what a difference. This looks to be what I was talking about here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rejuvin ... PG64aQBA13
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

The american wheeler dealers has been to retrimming places a few times, very impressive work they do.
David
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

vexorg wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 am The american wheeler dealers has been to retrimming places a few times, very impressive work they do.
Never really watched the American ones, I'll perhaps give them ago.
Haven't been on the forum for a while and haven't really done much to the van for a while either, a combination of bad weather, ill health, and removing walls in my kitchen, reputting them up, moving toilets, fitting a new kitchen, reflooring both the kitchen and utility room , sorting out plumbing etc has tied up most of my spare time.
Tonight I finally started back on it. Suprise, suprise I ended up poking a couple of small bubbles in the drivers floorpan and turning them into big holes.
Hopefully will get them welded up on the weekend, if it doesn't rain.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The person in charge of weather really needs to get their act together.
Just cannot tell if you are coming or going with sunny spells, torrential rain and early morning ground frost - sheesh.

I bet it is good to be back on the van.
Even if it is adding yet more ventilation to the floor pan.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 pm The person in charge of weather really needs to get their act together.
Just cannot tell if you are coming or going with sunny spells, torrential rain and early morning ground frost - sheesh.

I bet it is good to be back on the van.
Even if it is adding yet more ventilation to the floor pan.
The weather really needs to do one. We've spent since Christmas under lockdown and now things are starting to open up all we get is cold, wind and rain. Just checked the updated forecast for the weekend and suprise, bloody suprise it's supposed to be windy and wet again!
It is good in some ways to be back on the van but daunting at the same time. There's still an awful lot of work to get it ready for paint, it also doesn't help that I'm still having to work outside.