humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

Post by humbucker »

Bathtime for #irmscherMV6 :)

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Many of you will be sick of the sight of athletes such as Neymar, Messi, Hoy and Bolt thanks to the relentless coverage of their exploits during this summer’s FIFA World Cup and the subsequent Glasgow Commonwealth Games, so allow me to present you with some Sport Stars of the Irmscher variety instead!

I’d intended to equip the MV6 with the rare staggered fitment 18s from day one, but finding a set of 9-inch wide rears and their matching 8-inch wide fronts with the desired offset of ET30 is easier said than done due to the fact that so few were manufactured by Ronal for Irmscher back in the day. There are plenty of non-staggered Sport Stars out there (brand new wheels with offsets and widths suited to the Vectra and Astra), but I didn’t want to compromise by equipping the car with rims and rubber that fail to fill the arches as intended.

As the old adage goes, you wait ages for a bus and then two arrive at the same time. Well, the same seems to apply to Sport Stars – I’ve ended up with a couple of sets of the fantastic five-spokes! A quick call to the guys down at Irmscher UK resulted in a set of i-Line centre caps, locking wheel nuts and i-Line tyre valve caps with which to decorate them, and I was keen to trial fit the wheels as soon as time allowed.

Ordinarily, the car would sit pretty low and hug the tyres, but the removal of the engine and gearbox (as detailed in my last project update) has left its nose sitting ridiculously high in the air. You’d be forgiven for thinking that I’d installed raised height Frontera suspension! Fear not, balance will be restored to the force in due course as a replacement 3.2-litre V6 lump is undergoing a rebuild, a manual gearbox is being readied for action, and uprated dampers and springs feature on ever-growing shopping list.

Now that the wheels are in place, I’m not entirely convinced that their OE shade of silver shows them off at their best when set against the MV6’s solid black paintwork. I think that a colour change is on the cards, with a graphite finish currently my preferred choice of pigment. Oh, and there’s still that horrid grille to replace. It’s gonna be a busy month!

THANKS
Irmscher UK
01932 359290
http://www.irmscher.co.uk

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Them wheels look great, gives a great colour contrast. I'm not sure the anthracite will give the same contrast.
When's the engine getting slotted in, if it was me I would of fitted a v8 from the monaro, I'm not a fan of the V6 it's more of a cruiser than a top end power motor
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Okay, probably a dim question but, what does the M on MV6 stand for please?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

btcctroy wrote:Them wheels look great, gives a great colour contrast. I'm not sure the anthracite will give the same contrast.
When's the engine getting slotted in, if it was me I would of fitted a v8 from the monaro, I'm not a fan of the V6 it's more of a cruiser than a top end power motor
Thanks Troy, glad you approve of the new wheels! I hear you with regard to the V8 route, but crashed Monaros just aren't cheap enough for my liking atm :lol: I do agree that the V6 is a lazy cruiser though, and it's not the ideal engine to use if you're looking to build a high-performance motor.

That said, a load of service, timing and engine cleaning components arrived at Chez Humbucker this week, and I'll be cracking on with a refresh of the 3.2's nuts and bolts as soon as I'm back from my hols later this month. Short term, I'm fitting the replacement Y32SE as it will be ideal for a planned European road trip, but I'll be starting the build of a forged C20LET managed by a standalone ECU as soon as we're back. I've got the engine here already (attached to a donor Cavalier Turbo!) and a block that has only done 10,000 miles. That will form the basis of the build.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:Okay, probably a dim question but, what does the M on MV6 stand for please?
Laughably, it stands for 'Motorsport'. I cannot think of any Omega that was used in competitive motorsport at the point that the car was introduced to the public. The dominant facelift V8 Star Series cars came much later (winning the championship in 2001 and 2002 for Irmscher's racing division), so the badge can only be be put down to wishful thinking on the part of GM! At least they equipped the car with a lower ride height, different dampers and a few other bits and bobs to set it apart from its more refined Elite stable mate (the MV6's 'sporty' Recaro leather was an inspired move), although I'd question the manufacturer's decision not to fit many of the creature comforts and toys found in the Elite. That's why I'm retrofitting a lot of Elite gear into the MV6 - the best of both worlds!

In short, MV6 = devastatingly cool, Elite = grandad machine ;)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Who wants to play another game of 'what's in the box'?! I'll make it a little easier for you this time... ;)

btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Nice shiny springs
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Chinese takeaway?
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

humbucker wrote: Laughably, it stands for 'Motorsport'.
Thanks. Everyday is a trivia knowledge day.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Should stand for 'Mothership'
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Hehe, nothing gets past you guys, eh?! More here:

Wahey! The new issue of Total Vauxhall has hit newsstands, and with it comes the latest full #irmscherMV6 project update :) As ever, the magazine features some brilliant builds and some cracking cars (this month's bounty includes a trio of Saab-powered Vectra Bs, a 443bhp Astra VXR, a concours Corsa B, a wide-arched Nova powered by a C20XE on carbs, a supercharged VX220 and much, much more!). Click here to find out where to buy/download/subscribe etc: http://is.gd/wAxBXz

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

A stupidly busy month writing about the treasured Griffins of my fellow Vauxhall enthusiasts means that progress on the Irmscher MV6 project has been a little slower than I was hoping it would be, and the limited downtime that I’ve had at my disposal has been spent stripping the donor MV6 of its valuable parts in advance of its impending trip to the great scrapyard in the sky.

That’s not to say that the Dark Destroyer has been neglected; I’ve continued to add to a plentiful stockpile of tuning paraphernalia while I work towards spending some quality time with the large barge. As a matter of fact, I’ve been amassing some serious chassis upgrades that promise to transform its handling abilities.

The first major contributor to the cause comes in the form of a Bilstein B12 suspension package. Comprising perfectly matched B8 Sprint shortened shock absorbers and Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs, the set was developed by Bilstein engineers using technology tested at the Nürburgring and is designed to vastly improve fast road driving dynamics by reducing body roll, squat and dive while delivering a significantly dropped ride height. That’s music to my ears, not least of all because the nose of the car is currently sitting at a laughable altitude following the removal of its neighbouring engine and gearbox!

This is the first time that I will have used this particular combination of components, but plenty of my octane-obsessed friends swear by Bilstein’s superior monotube gas and oil damper design, and I’ve equipped enough of my cars with Eibach springs over the years to know how well they perform in a wide variety of driving environments. There’s no denying that this is a top quality suspension setup, and I can’t wait to fit it to the MV6. Besides, a European road trip looms large, and I’m sure that the B12 kit will come into its own as I attempt to navigate my way around a certain ‘Green Hell’...

THANKS
Bilstein UK
0116 289 8345
http://www.bilstein.de

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

That just looks special on so may different levels. I must say.
New bits, can't beat them.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:That just looks special on so may different levels. I must say.
Cheers. It's getting there... slowly! :lol:
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:That just looks special on so may different levels. I must say.
Cheers. It's getting there... slowly! :lol:
Faster than my project is.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

'Sup! The new issue of Total Vauxhall is sitting on newsstands, and it comes complete with the latest full #irmscherMV6 project update :) As ever, the magazine features some brilliant builds and some cracking motors (this month's bounty includes an awesome Mk1 Cavalier touring car, a 400bhp Corsa VXR, a V8-powered Opel Kadett C, a tidy Mk4 Astra cabriolet, an SR-badged Nova sleeper and much, much more!). Click here to find out where to buy/download/subscribe etc: http://is.gd/RmcKBt ;)

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Looking good! 8-)
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

I likey!
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Regular readers will recall the Ronal Irmscher Sport Stars that I managed to get hold of for the MV6 project, and some may recall that I expressed a desire to change the colour of the staggered fitment 18-inchers from their factory shade of silver to a metallic anthracite. Tinted film pioneer, Foliatec, was also taking note, and the German company alerted me to the existence of its wheel-friendly spray film as I considered the various paint options at my disposal.

Sold as a single can or as a sub-fifty quid set that includes twin cans, cleaning wipes, masking tools and a fan nozzle attachment, the spray film is available in more than twenty different colours and can be used as a paint protector in addition to its role as a tinting tool. Best of all, removing the film is a simple case of peeling it off, which makes it ideal for those looking for cost-efficient temporary styling solutions, or – like me – those that are keen to try out colours in the hope of avoiding an expensive mistake at the wheel refurbishers!

The chunky five-spokes needed a thorough clean before any work could begin, and my Autobrite Direct wheel cleaner and 'Purple Rain 2.0' industrial fallout remover made light work of the traffic grime and road mank stuck to the inside of each rim. The arduous task of removing all sixty decorative bolts and masking their corresponding holes followed, and I left the bolts themselves in an acid bath while each wheel was furnished with Foliatec tyre protection cards that are designed to minimise the effects of overspray.

The film was applied thereafter, and I’m genuinely impressed with the results. Not only has it confirmed my belief that metallic anthracite was the right colour choice, but it has hidden the light surface scratches and paint irregularities that I inherited with the wheels when I bought them. It was easy to apply too, although a trip to the repair centre is still on the cards due to the discovery of slight kerbing on the inside lip of one of the rims.

The refreshed bolts were given a comprehensive cotton-bud clean before being reinstated, and the wheels should look fantastic when set against the solid black paintwork of the car. Talking of which, I’ve just offloaded a pile of exterior trim and various Irmscher bodykit components at the paint shop. Expect to see some cool cosmetic alterations pictured in the next project update!

THANKS

Foliatec.com
http://is.gd/vhZZrp

Autobrite Direct
01782 623819
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk

Cleaned, masked and ready to roll!

An acid bath and a cotton bud clean for the decorative wheel bolts:

Tadaa!

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I do like the anthracite colour...

In my opinion, nicer than plain silver and black would probably have been too much on your dark Omega.
A big thumbs up with approval :thumb
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

:thumb :thumb :thumb
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cheers guys!

I visited Halfords in order to pick up some headlight bulbs for the Saab, and I remembered that the MV6 was in need of a new set of wiper blades. Flicking through the 'helpful' in-store booklet, I was surprised to see the same Bosch AeroTwin wiper listed for both the driver and passenger sides. I suspended disbelief by giving in to the benefit of the doubt; I bought them anyway, only to have to return to the store in order to buy the correct nearside wiper. Moral of the story: don't trust anyone!

Anyway, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you. And what better way to kick off the festive cheer than with the latest #irmscherMV6 project update?! Okay, there might be one or two other pursuits that spring to mind, but you can read all about the goings-on from 'camp MV6' by picking up a copy of the new issue of Total Vauxhall. As ever, there are some brilliant builds in the magazine (including a stunning Cavalier Turbo 4x4, a 365bhp C20LET-powered Corsa B sleeper, a 500bhp Nova sporting twin turbos, an Old Nail replica and much, much more!). Click here to find out where to buy/download/subscribe etc: http://is.gd/0mqKW7 Thanuverymush!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Regular readers will remember that the first MV6 project update outlined my intention to source every item listed in the facelift Omega/MV6 Irmscher parts catalogue. This is easier said than done; not even Vauxhall’s official press vehicle featured a full complement of the German styling firm’s products!

Irmscher sold the last of their Omega-specific components a long time ago (let’s not forget that the newest example of the model is a decade old), which means that there aren’t any off-the-shelf parts to take advantage of. Ultimately, finding these cool cosmetic updates requires a beady eye, plenty of patience and a constant scan of auction and owners club websites.

That said, there are long-forgotten hidden treasures to be found buried deep within the store rooms of the nation’s Vauxhall dealerships – parts that have been collecting dust for years and that are often available at knockdown prices due to their classification as obsolete spares. As if to prove the point, I’ve managed to acquire a ‘brand new old stock’ Irmscher grille that was hiding within the murky depths of a Griffin sales centre in Wales. It set me back the princely sum of £35, which is less than half of what a used equivalent in average condition tends to fetch on eBay. Top banana!

The version that I’ve bought features a detachable and paintable outer surround to enable colour coding with the host vehicle (the vast majority of genuine Irmscher grilles sold in period feature a solid black plastic outer trim or chrome effect detailing). I’ve sent it to the paint shop for a lick of OE Z20C Black II. It wasn’t finished by the time that we went to press, but I’ve just taken delivery of a stack of additional exterior styling parts that I chose to offload at the same time.

Among this black bounty sits a replacement set of Irmscher side skirts, matching end caps and a rare Irmscher rear spoiler. The latter features a much deeper lip surface area than the Prodrive item that was fitted at the factory when the MV6 rolled off the production line. I’ve also had the car’s special edition rear bumper painted because it was exhibiting a number of unsightly scratches and a couple of annoying stone chips.

Another former dealer-fit optional extra that I’ve managed to get hold of comes in the form of a seldom-seen Irmscher raised rear wing. Back in the day, this was offered as an alternative to the aforementioned lip spoiler, but I’m determined to get both sitting comfortably alongside one another. It means that I’m going to have to attack the boot lid with my power drill, although the impending modification to the tail end of the car that will allow for the application of rear end components that I’ve sourced from America – items that were originally found on the Omega’s stateside sibling (the Cadillac Catera) – means that this is the least of my worries. More on that in my next update, when I also hope to have the freshly painted parts firmly attached to the MV6.

THANKS
The Body Shop
01945 475444

Irmscher raised wing and extended lip spoiler:

Irmscher side skirts:

Irmscher side skirt end caps (plus a spare):

The car's Irmscher rear bumper had a few stone chips that needed sorting:

Oh, and the previous owner appears to have nudged it into a wall at some point! It's nothing that The Body Shop can't fix:

Wahey! A brand new Irmscher front grille...

...which should transform the front end of the car:

Everything back from The Body Shop and covered in a fresh lick of Z20C Black II:

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looking nice there Dan, should be interesting to see them all fitted to the car.
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index