humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

Post by humbucker »

#irmscherMV6 came with a mountain of service history, primarily because it was sold from new by the very same dealer that I bought it from (I was able to request a detailed print out of every nut and bolt purchased for the car, not to mention a list of every hour charged for working on it since new). Reassuringly, the previous owner would wheel it down to the dealer for any work that was deemed necessary, although the supplied documentation shows that the car was even taken to Vauxhall for replacement brake light bulbs! £85 well spent...?! Hmmn, you make up your own mind!

Despite the failure of the garage to cure the "coolant loss" issue that is mentioned in the recent service history (a fault that undoubtedly manifested itself as failure of the head gasket), recent additions to the parts pile include two new catalytic convertors, new springs and dampers, new fluid tanks, new gaskets, water pump, timing belt etc. The list is extensive. It's been kitted out with all genuine parts at significant cost to the previous owner. The cats alone were over a grand.

My understanding is that he'd had enough of throwing money at the ol' girl and fancied a new Insignia to use as a workhorse for his fledgling airport taxi business. The dealership took the car back (in part exchange?), furnished him with a new motor and left #irmscherMV6 to languish beneath a tree at the back of the dealership. I believe one of the parts desk guys had considered it as a potential project, but ultimately, I rolled up and took it away on the back of a trailer. Thanuverymush.

Stamped service book, MOT certificate with close to a year left on it, original manuals, car pass, brochures etc:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Original Irmscher styling brochure and document wallet. This is my "prestigious styling" parts bible!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Found some old tax discs buried away under the passenger's seat. Will bundle them with the rest of the history:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Off to Nottingham to collect some parts for the #irmscherMV6 project. Couldn't have picked better weather for a leisurely cross-country drive. Ahem...

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Wahey! The latest full #irmscherMV6 project update has hit newsstands. Check it out in the brand spankin’ new issue of Total Vauxhall. The magazine features some cracking cars and is available to buy from all the usual retailers. You can get the digital version by clicking here: http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/newsstand. You can even have it delivered direct to your door at no extra cost by clicking here: http://is.gd/YcBaRk. You know what, you might as well subscribe! Click here: http://is.gd/sLShvy 8-)

Buying components for your project car on a piecemeal basis can make for a surprisingly cost-inefficient build. With that in mind, thoughts turned to getting hold of a suitable donor vehicle as I drew up my wish list of parts for #irmscherMV6.

The good news is that a lot of the features that I want to introduce to the car were available as cost-options back in the day. The bad news is that hardly anyone was interested in equipping their new motorway cruiser with a manual gearbox, limited slip differential, full colour integrated satnav and special edition Recaro sports leather. This makes their appearance in a single car virtually nonexistent (let’s not forget that the majority of Omegas were bought by an older generation of driver that considered the addition of a tow bar to be the cutting edge of modifying). Besides, the optional extras list changed following the introduction of the facelift model. With the odds stacked against me, I logged on to eBay and hoped for the best.

To my surprise, a mini-facelift MV6 appeared in the listings as a breaker. It’s leather looked to be in fantastic condition and I asked the seller for some detailed pictures of the bolsters to ensure that they were free of wear. The seats were still in-situ, and I couldn’t believe my luck when the requested photos revealed a manual gearstick in the cockpit. I immediately made an offer for the interior and transmission, but the owner wasn’t interested in getting his hands dirty and said that I could take the entire car at no extra cost. I was bowled over, especially as the Star Silver saviour had plenty of tax and test, a detailed history and a low mileage X30XE up-front. He even drove it down to my house for the cost of his train fare home!

I was even more surprised when the new arrival turned up on a set of Keskin staggered rims. The seller apologised for the "terrible" wheels, although he probably won’t want to hear that I’ve sold them to a keen VW Golf pilot for more than I paid for the entire car. That Kamei grille and the rare Irmscher rear spoiler went for a pretty penny too...

The silver car’s engine isn’t of much use to me as I plan to stick with the 3.2-litre drive-by-wire version of the six-cylinder lump. I did consider a complete rebuild of the poorly unit that sits under the bonnet of #irmscherMV6, but long term plans involve an entirely different powerplant and I don’t want to invest too much time in what is intended to be a temporary solution. Fortunately, another breaker registered its availability in the form of a low mileage facelift Omega Elite estate. I’ve since bought its engine, which I plan to treat to a light rebuild before bolting it into place alongside the early MV6’s manual gearbox.

Hopefully, there will be some significant progress to report in my next update. In the meantime, the leather has been extracted from the donor and is ready for its new home, and I’ve picked up a new GM battery. Who knows, I might even get around to washing the car at long last!

#irmscherMV6 looking its absolute worst. I think the phrase is 'rags to riches' :lol:

Donor mini-facelift MV6. Questionable styling updates aside, it's a solid motor. A shame to break it really, but needs must:

I bought the car for its manual transmission and leather, but I'm sure I'll be robbing lots of incidental trim off of it along the way:

Recaros out. They're in ace condition, but could do with a clean and some fresh colour. That 'spot' in the middle is where the rear armrest had been left down for a while. Nothing to worry about, just needs a wipe clean.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The brand new issue of Total Vauxhall hits newsstands on Thursday. In other words, you have just one day left to grab the current full #irmscherMV6 project report on the shelves of your local newsagent. Can’t be arsed to head into town? Then download a digital copy of the magazine by clicking the following link: http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/newsstand. You can even have it delivered direct to your door at no extra cost by clicking here: http://is.gd/YcBaRk. Heck, you might as well subscribe, thus ensuring that you’ll never miss another detailed #irmscherMV6 update. Hoorah! http://is.gd/sLShvy :)

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Went to collect some more parts for the #irmscherMV6 project. Satnav decided it would be fun to play that hugely enjoyable game, 'driving around in circles'. Thanks satnav, thanks.

Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I've got that door pins on the cavalier. I originally bought them for my Vectra sri back in 2001. The groves are for rubber O rings but mine dryed out and split years ago. I never did get round to replacing them.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Greig Sri wrote:I've got that door pins on the cavalier. I originally bought them for my Vectra sri back in 2001. The groves are for rubber O rings but mine dryed out and split years ago. I never did get round to replacing them.

Greig
Hiya. Yeah, I have rubber rings on my other set, although they're more common type of Irmscher door pin (featuring a bevelled/rounded top). These ones are dead flat. I haven't seen this type before now.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

No, this is not my attempt at a rear-engined Saab 95 Aero HOT estate! Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the replacement 3.2-litre V6 lump for #irmscherMV6

Yup, there's definitely more than one way to lower a Swede!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I bought some heavy duty directional castors and bolted eight of them them into the bottom of a pallet. Hey presto! Instant engine trolley! :lol: 8-) The gearbox pictured is an automatic unit that came with the new engine (along with the key, ECU, immobiliser etc). I'll be using the manual transmission out of my donor car, so this was surplus to requirements and has since been sold on.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Saw this, fell in love, started thinking about colour options for #irmscherMV6. Also started thinking about buying a Monza. Again.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Oooooofff!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I stripped the Keskin wheels, Kamei grille, Irmscher rear spoiler (with integrated brake light) and a few other bits and bobs off of the mini-facelift donor MV6 and flogged 'em for more than I paid for the whole car. There are loads of other bits to come off of it yet, but I threw on a set of 16-inch PFL Elite alloys and a grille that I had knocking around to keep it looking semi-respectable before I kill it to death.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The donor MV6's pre-facelift Irmscher rear spoiler with integrated brake light. It's now attached to a car in deepest, darkest South America!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Meanwhile, #irmscherMV6 waits patiently for a bucket and sponge! :lol:

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Getting the original interior out of #irmscherMV6 was straightforward enough, but I did encounter the classic ‘stubborn bolt’ when tackling the driver’s seat. Stuck fast, I ended up drilling its head off before hammering, tapping and applying heat in an attempt to shift it.

Eventually, the bastard broke free.

The same occurred in the donor car. I guess these are never really supposed to come out, eh?!

Fortunately, Megachisel™ was on hand!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Decided to give #irmscherMV6's carpets a thorough going over before equipping the interior with Recaro leather joy. They were in a bit of a mess tbh, but have cleaned up a treat. Stupidly, I forgot to take a pic before putting the new seats in place. Doh. You'll just have to take my word for it :lol:

An oldie, but a goodie!

Does this qualify as snowfoam?!

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Looking good - sounds like a bargain you've picked up there Dan, more donor bits :P
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:Looking good - sounds like a bargain you've picked up there Dan, more donor bits :P
The jury's out on its looks, but I bought it for the gearbox and interior. Truth be told, it's too good to break, but needs must. The fella even drove it down to my house for the cost of his train fare home! Low mileage X30XE, tax and test, mint interior, solid throughout... looks like I'll be having a mammoth eBay session in the not too distant future!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Huzzah! The latest full #irmscherMV6 project update has hit newsstands. Check it out in the brand spankin’ new issue of Total Vauxhall. The magazine features some cracking cars and is available to buy from all the usual retailers. You can get the digital version by clicking here: http://www.totalvauxhall.co.uk/newsstand. You can even have it delivered direct to your door at no extra cost by clicking here: http://is.gd/BEkGEd. You know what, you might as well subscribe! Click here: http://is.gd/sLShvy

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Regular readers will have spotted the rare electrically adjustable heated Recaro sports leather pictured alongside the last MV6 project update. The seats were lifted from my donor mini-facelift MV6 and will be used in place of the drab cloth interior that the Irmscher car was equipped with at its original point of sale.

Before installing the upgraded upholstery, I gave The Scratch Doctor a call to place an order for the company’s leather rejuvenation kit. The included deep cleaning solution removed any age-old muck from the seats before they absorbed a liberal application of intense black colour restorer. Once dried and buffed, I applied a thorough coating of conditioning leather protector and stood back in awe of what looked to be a brand new interior. Granted, the seats were in great cosmetic order before I’d started, but they’re now factory fresh and have made a massive difference to what was pretty dull cabin space. I’ve also given the outer ring of the car’s rare Irmscher steering wheel The Scratch Doctor treatment for good measure.

Unfortunately, I managed to rip a chunk out of the lower rear offside door card when removing the original seats. I’ve since bought a complete set of mint condition panels from a willing facelift Omega Elite, and I plan to swap their faux-wooden inserts with the MV6’s aluminium-coloured equivalents. Furthermore, I’ve just taken delivery of a set of leather effect lower door card inserts to complement the recently acquired hide. After all, the devil is in the detail!

With the old interior sold (and its successor waiting in the wings), I took the opportunity to snow foam the carpets and gave the remaining trim a thorough scrub. In the process, I discovered £2.46 in loose change buried away. Result! The leather was bolted into place a short while later, although I’m holding off of fitting the base rail covers in case I decide to remove the front seats in an attempt to create better workspace when swapping the gearbox and the questionable infotainment system (Vauxhall deemed it appropriate to plant a cassette player into the centre console of a car built in 2004!).

The finishing touch for the revitalised interior has come in the form of brand new genuine Vauxhall tailored floor mats. They’re embroidered with the same Omega logo that is stamped into the car’s Irmscher stainless steel sill covers. The mats look great, but the cabin is now so clean that I’m loathed to step in with my shoes on! Hmmn, I think it’s time to concentrate my efforts on another area of the large barge ripe for redevelopment...

THANKS
The Scratch Doctor
0151 480 4640
http://www.thescratchdoctor.co.uk

The seats look as good as new:

I can't recommend The Scratch Doctor enough. Its products are excellent value for money and get great results:

The Irmscher steering wheel didn't scrub up too badly either!

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I managed to tear the fabric of the offside rear door card when removing the original seats. I think I musta caught it with the driver's seat subframe. Bugger.

Fortunately, I found a complete set of mint condition facelift Elite door cards. I'll need to swap the wooden trim on these badboys for my MV6-edition alu inserts.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Taxi Al supplied a set of leather effect panels for my new door cards. These will sit beneath the alu strips (above the armrest) and will replace the fabric panels seen beneath the wooden strips in the pic above.

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Interior updates continue with brand new genuine tailored floor mats (front and back). These should add at least 20bhp :lol:

"Ultimate luxury" :roll: