humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6

Post by humbucker »

I’ve spent a significant amount of time sourcing genuine Irmscher body kit components, sorting the MV6’s interior, redesigning its rear end and introducing suspension and chassis upgrades since hauling the ol’ bus out of storage, but its most important features remain parked on my garage floor. Yup, I’m talking about the car’s engine and transmission.

My donor MV6 provided a healthy R28 five-speed manual gearbox (in addition to a propshaft, pedals and leather), and I managed to get hold of a low mileage 3.2-litre V6 powerplant. The time has finally come to refresh both units, and I’ve been collecting a variety of parts accordingly.

New genuine GM equipment to arrive at Château Furr includes a clutch kit, timing belt kit, thermostat housing, coolant transfer pipe, filters, water pump, water pipework, expansion tank, head bolts and studs, a spin-on oil filter convertor, radiator plug, sump gasket, various O-rings and sealing compounds. I’ve also bought a cylinder head refurbishment kit comprising valve stem seals and gaskets (heads, cam covers, camshafts, exhaust manifolds, upper and lower inlet manifolds, plenum etc.), a K&N air filter, a Courtenay Sport cool-running thermostat, a lightweight C20XE flat-type flywheel and a Retropower clutch spacer kit.

The car was treated to genuine dealer-fit parts including a new oil cooler, cam covers, breather box, downpipes, catalytic convertors and cat-back exhausts a few weeks before I bought it, and it’s nice to know that these items are more-or-less as good as new. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said of my Irmscher Sport Stars; the process of equipping the 18-inchers with new tyres has caused some of the recently-applied wheel tinting spray film to peel away. In light of this, I’ve decided to have each alloy professionally refurbished and powdercoated. Wrapped in their Richbrook carrying bags, they’re en route to a facelift as I write this project update.

If all goes according to plan, my next progress report will feature an MV6 powered under its own stream and rolling on a stunning set of Sport Stars. Wish me luck!

THANKS

K&N Filters
01925 636950
http://www.knfilters.com

Autobrite Direct
01782 623819
http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk

An initial stockpile of parts that is destined to assist with the overhaul of the MV6's powertrain:

My new cool-running thermostat arrived, but it was bent out of shape! As you'd expect, Courtenay Sport sent me a replacement the very next day. Bravo!

Time to crack on with the car's replacement Y32SE:

Filthy doesn't even come close to describing how much crud was stuck to the bottom of the engine. This picture doesn't fully illustrate how bad it was:

Fortunately, this arrived:

Tadaa! Autobrite Direct engine/engine bay cleaning solutions:

I also managed to coin a dealer-issue Kent-Moore V6 cam locking kit for the bargain price of just £40:

Did somebody say 'cam cover leak'?!

And now, on with the stripdown:

I'm going to fit new valve stem seals and change the head gaskets while I clean up the engine's cylinder heads. I might as well do the work before the lump finds its way beneath the car's bonnet. Off with its heads!

LOTS of scrubbing, Autobrite gear, carb cleaner and a whole lotta patience later:

And now to treat the car's new gearbox to some love:

Before the pressure washer had attacked it:

Lots more scrubbing, cleaning and brushing followed. Eventually, it was time to crack open the Hammerite! Two or three coats of silver/black just about did the trick (silver for the gearbox casing, black for the brackets, propshaft, inner bellhousing, block etc.):

humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

I left it at that and decided to begin stripping the cylinder heads. Meanwhile, parts continue to arrive thick and fast!

Genuine GM heater bypass valve:

Genuine cabin/pollen filter. Thinking about it, I've had this kicking about for a while:

Retropower clutch spacer to enable the use of a C20XE flat-type flywheel:

K&N panel filter (cue a sea of posts about the likely death of my MAF):

New header tank. I'm not entirely sure why it was necessary for the supplier to decorate my tidy new tank with his favourite Sharpie?! I'll wipe off his scribblings before fitting the new part:

V6 throttle body valve seals, coolant bridge temperature sensor, spin-on oil filter thread joiner:

And lots of other stuff that is waaaay more exciting than the oily bits pictured above. More updates to follow. Keep 'em peeled!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Just wow.. so much envy and so much joy at the same time!.
Cracking work Dan.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:Just wow.. so much envy and so much joy at the same time!. Cracking work Dan.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm grabbing a few hours here and there in the hope of making as much progress as I can in the time that is available around my punishing work schedule, but you know how it is - not enough hours in the day etc. I've booked a week off work in June in order to get a big chunk of the work done. Watch this space!
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Looking good, lots of money being spent there!

So is this engine getting a tune up aswell other than the lighter flywheel? Twin turbo setup maybe? 8-)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboDan wrote:Looking good, lots of money being spent there!

So is this engine getting a tune up aswell other than the lighter flywheel? Twin turbo setup maybe? 8-)
Ha! That would be... interesting! I'm equipping the engine with four 'G' cams, a cool-running 'stat, a lightened flywheel (possibly a TTV Racing unit), ultrasonically cleaned and serviced injectors with all new filters, a K&N air filter and a few other bits and bobs that I can't think of off the top of my head. Tbh, the V6 requires some serious dollar to get major bhp out of it. Saab fit a low-pressure turbo to the X30XE for the 9000, but fitting one to the Y32SE would be a lot of hassle for not a lot of gain. I have a spare C20LET that is destined for the MV6, and my train of thought has been to give the donor 3.2 a top end rebuild and a tweak or two to bring it back to 'excellent' operating conditions while I concentrate on getting Turbo #2 up and running. That gives me plenty of time to enjoy driving the MV6 under its n/a V6 power before I decide to replace its under-bonnet components. Knowing how long it's taken me to get this far, however, I can't see that happening any time soon, which is why I don't mind shelling out for so many V6-specific bits and bobs - I know I'll get good use out of 'em.

I've got stuff arriving on an almost daily basis for the car atm. I won't let the cat out of the bag just yet, but expect some tidy updates in the coming weeks :)
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Bugger

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:Bugger

:tdown not great in the slightest! What happened?
humbucker wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Just wow.. so much envy and so much joy at the same time!. Cracking work Dan.
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm grabbing a few hours here and there in the hope of making as much progress as I can in the time that is available around my punishing work schedule, but you know how it is - not enough hours in the day etc. I've booked a week off work in June in order to get a big chunk of the work done. Watch this space!
Watching with anticipation!
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote: :tdown not great in the slightest! What happened?
Dunno tbh. The crack starts from the bottom corner and has slowly worked its way up! The 'screen fitters were supposed to be heading over on Friday, but I cancelled the appointment due to heavy rainfall. The visit has been rescheduled for Wednesday of this week. I've opted for Pilkington rain-sensor-compatible glass to give me the option of retro-fitting the 'auto wiper speed' system at a later date.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I have seen this happen (without any apparent cause), on Vectra-C screens.

A real bugger!!
Hopefully it is covered by your insurance.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Robsey wrote:I have seen this happen (without any apparent cause), on Vectra-C screens. A real bugger!! Hopefully it is covered by your insurance.
It's not worth contacting the insurance folks tbh. I'll have to fork out for an excess, and I'm sure that the rotters will bump up my premium. I'm paying £150 for heat-reflective, rain-sensor-compatible, OE-spec Pilkington glass (fitted). If all goes to plan, the new windscreen will be in place the day after tomorrow.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

It's great when you are required by law to have insurance, which costs silly money -
But it is not financially viable to use it.

Instead, you pay out from your own pocket to avoid your premiums from going through the roof.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Probably a case of delamintation causing it Dan :/
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Envoy CDX wrote:Probably a case of delamintation causing it Dan :/
Yup, that was the verdict of the 'screen fitter this morning. I'll upload pics this evening.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Probably a case of delamintation causing it Dan :/
Yup, that was the verdict of the 'screen fitter this morning. I'll upload pics this evening.
:thumb :thumb
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

A new Pilkington heat-reflective, rain-sensor compatible, tinted windscreen was ready to install within hours of my order being placed (there seemed little point in going through my insurer, only for me to have to stump up an excess that wasn't a million miles away from the total cost of the windscreen when bought privately (and then there's the threat of an increased premium as a result of the claim etc.). IMHO, insurance companies are often more hassle than they're worth!):

The cause of the quickly-spreading crack in the original glass was identified as delamination stemming from a hidden/broken chip. Dirt, dust and leaves had settled on the car's windscreen wipers prior to removal!:

My local windscreen fitter set to work:

Tadaa!

Rain sensor kit mounting point (the original rear-view mirror will happily sit here until I get around to sourcing the parts required for the update):

TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Nice job, Is your car wired for the rain sensor?
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nice job!

I just recently got a Pilkington windscreen put into the CD Manual for the same reasons.
Hopefully they will last as long as the originals did!
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Nicely done. no hidden grot revealed then I'm assuming?
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboDan wrote:Nice job, Is your car wired for the rain sensor?
I've bought the photochromatic rear-view mirror, rain sensor kit, mounts and housing out of a donor Vectra C. I'll need the wiper relay out of a facelift Omega (Elite), but otherwise it should be plug and play.
Envoy CDX wrote:Nicely done. no hidden grot revealed then I'm assuming?
No, thankfully!
James McGrath wrote:Nice job! I just recently got a Pilkington windscreen put into the CD Manual for the same reasons. Hopefully they will last as long as the originals did!
The massively reduced cost of going with a Pilkington screen vs OEM would mean that you'd need to replace your windscreen two or three times before you came close to matching the price of genuine GM glass! I think the main difference between the two options (other than the lengthy 'on order' waiting time if looking for factory glass) is the window seal/rubber tbh, with pattern parts sometimes proving to be a difficult fit. The windscreen itself should be hassle-free.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I sense a wiring diagram request approaching.

The mirror itself is two wires..
+12 volts and ground to power up the auto dimming mirror.
The light sensor controls the actual dimming.
You can use a relay triggered by the reverse lights, to cut the 12 volt supply to the mirror.
This is how it should work from the factory.

The auto wipers is a little more tricky...
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

humbucker wrote:
Envoy CDX wrote:Nicely done. no hidden grot revealed then I'm assuming?
No, thankfully!
:mrgreen: :lol: :thumb :thumb :thumb :thumb
Good to hear. (well, read)
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

humbucker wrote:The massively reduced cost of going with a Pilkington screen vs OEM would mean that you'd need to replace your windscreen two or three times before you came close to matching the price of genuine GM glass! I think the main difference between the two options (other than the lengthy 'on order' waiting time if looking for factory glass) is the window seal/rubber tbh, with pattern parts sometimes proving to be a difficult fit. The windscreen itself should be hassle-free.

The only GM screen I could find for a reasonable cost was up near Northampton on the Cavalier and Chevette owners club.

The guy who fitted the screen used the old rubber seal as there was nothing wrong with it and it fits better than the new pattern one that came with the screen.
Luckily there was no corrosion at all; just dirt like yours.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The new issue of Performance Vauxhall is sitting on newsstands, and with it comes the latest #irmscherMV6 project update. Grab the mag in WHSmith/Tesco, or click here to download/subscribe: http://is.gd/i0TWgl ;)

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

:thumb :thumb
Check the Rules!

The How2 Index