calibra v6

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
joe cavalier sri

calibra v6

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hi bought this cali v6 needs a little tlc ie service and new tyres but apart from that seems all good no rust apart from odd little patch but nothing major the front bumper needs refitting but its all solid behind there

Ive a few questions cos its basically a cav I know what to exspect but is it a v6 redtop or a eco dressed up as one ? im not particually botherd if it is or not as its my run around just would be nice to know :thumb cheers
joe cavalier sri

Re: calibra v6

its a lot of car for £160 which ever way you look at it im thinking v6 corsa b but its too good condition to break its even on its original exhaust its in champaine aswell
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Looks nice does it work
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Nice looking Cali
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

It's an X25XE wearing a C25XE engine cover.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Early C25XE engines can be identified by the red plastic insert in the engine cover, but predate your N-plate Calibra. Later X25XE's had the 'Ecotec' black insert. The oilways in the X25XE block are supposedly larger to help with the different design hydraulic lifter that was introduced in the Vectra (which inherited the engine from the Cavalier) and they also ran a higher oil pressure. You will spot a difference in sump design between some C25XEs and X25XEs too (detachable sensor on the latter). As the Cavalier V6s all use the same heads the benefits of these changes aren't really seen.

The real difference between the two engines can be seen when comparing the C25XE from a Cavalier/Calibra with an X25XE when installed in a Vectra. The X25XE in a Vec has a completely different inlet manifold and intake setup, including an EGR valve.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

The first thing that you should do is consult the How2 V6 guides that I wrote on here and clean your car's breathers etc.
joe cavalier sri

ok cheers :thumb having to remove the factory standard alarm as its stopping it from starting but was running when I loaded it up and unloaded it off the transporter it has a tear shaped thing you push into the reciver thing near the headlight switch but was told a pn ecu would bypass this ?> :scratch
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

iirc, factory immobilisers are built into the key and around the ignition switch on late ones like that. if u have a tear drop shaped thing dangling from the keys which u have to shove in a hole in the dash or waft near a sensor, thats an aftermarket (and sometimes well shonky causing problems) immobiliser. not totally sure it is possible though to convert to the earlier non immobiliser set up from a late style one, never done it.
nice looking weapon, looks like it needs fiddling with and using to me!
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

As Pete just posted it will be aftermarket, I had one on my Cav and it failed meaning it wouldnt start...I ended up calling the RAC as was miles from home when it happened, the RAC managed to remove it from the ignition loop and thats your best bet to be honest..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
joe cavalier sri

ok sound cheers ladz :thumb
joe cavalier sri

DiplomaXE wrote:iirc, factory immobilisers are built into the key and around the ignition switch on late ones like that. if u have a tear drop shaped thing dangling from the keys which u have to shove in a hole in the dash or waft near a sensor, thats an aftermarket (and sometimes well shonky causing problems) immobiliser. not totally sure it is possible though to convert to the earlier non immobiliser set up from a late style one, never done it.

it cant hurt to try could it :scratch swoping my ecu over for the pn type ecu ?
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

joe cavalier sri wrote:
DiplomaXE wrote:iirc, factory immobilisers are built into the key and around the ignition switch on late ones like that. if u have a tear drop shaped thing dangling from the keys which u have to shove in a hole in the dash or waft near a sensor, thats an aftermarket (and sometimes well shonky causing problems) immobiliser. not totally sure it is possible though to convert to the earlier non immobiliser set up from a late style one, never done it.

it cant hurt to try could it :scratch swoping my ecu over for the pn type ecu ?
mate it won't work the fobs have nothing to do with the ecu.
all you need to do it follow a couple of wires and rejoin the original coloured cables together.
I'd have it done in 10 minutes
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
planetc

Post by planetc »

Troy is right, if it's not a factory transponder immobiliser it will be wired such that swapping the ecu won't make a blind bit of difference.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"