humbucker's 1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
humbucker
Club Admin

humbucker's 1980 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II

Post by humbucker »

“Are you starting a wedding-oriented chauffeuring business?” “Have you taken out shares in an oil refinery?” “What’s the capital city of Luxembourg?” These are just some of the questions that have been fired at me following my decision to purchase a magnificent Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow II. I’ve had masses of fun wafting along the Norfolk coastline from within the confines of the car’s burr walnut and Connolly-clad cabin ever since, but I thought that I should hop out of the ol’ land yacht for just long enough to address each of these enquiries head-on.

Firstly, let’s deal with idea of me plonking a peaked hat on my bonce and attaching empty baked bean cans to the back of my new motor. In short, that scene is never gonna happen. No siree, this car is not destined become a workhorse; I bought the Silver Mink stunner for the simple fact that I fell in love with it! And what’s not to love? A silky smooth six-and-three-quarter litre V8 propels the 2.5-tonne barge along at “adequate” speeds, while its gorgeous seventeen-foot long body still manages to send pedestrians and fellow road users into a frenzy thirty-five years after Crewe’s very own master craftsmen waved it off the factory production line.

The car’s extraordinary ability to captivate those that find themselves in its company became apparent as I began the four hour journey home after agreeing to part with my hard-earned. As I travelled along the southbound A1 motorway, drivers of less exotic machinery reduced their speeds before positioning their four-wheelers alongside my own. A camera phone or two would suddenly appear pressed against neighbouring windows – with grins of excitement and the occasional ‘thumbs up’ accompanying the odd burst of octane-fuelled flash photography – only for the budding Lord Lichfields to speed off as soon as the money shot had been captured.

Uncontrollably zig-zagging between lanes ahead of me, these very same action snappers were then unable to resist getting a glimpse of the chrome-laden, six-foot wide front end of my pride and joy in their rear-view mirrors before they remembered not to crash. Thankfully, I’m delighted to report that the trip was casualty free, but I can fully understand the need to gawp at such a beautiful profile. Indeed, whether it’s those trademark twin headlamps, the iconic grille, The Spirit of Ecstasy or a combination of each and every one of these superb styling features, a Silver Shadow II is a sight to behold.

As far as the question alluding to the car’s fuel efficiency is concerned, there really is nothing that I can add to the obvious implications of running a Rolls-Royce that averages 11mpg around town while draining a 120-litre fuel tank! Unsurprisingly, I don’t intend to use the large barge as my daily driver, although I must admit to heading out and about in it as often as possible since bringing it home. I realise that there are some who would advise me to fend off the miles, but I fully intend to enjoy driving the car irrespective of concerns about maintaining its supposed value. Besides, it’s a well known fact that the model’s self-levelling hydraulic suspension and braking system will deteriorate through a lack of use. In other words, I can consider jollies behind the wheel to be an essential part of an ongoing maintenance programme! Hoorah!

Talking of which, I was quick to call the UK’s leading supplier of new, used and reconditioned genuine Rolls-Royce and Bentley parts, Flying Spares, for its advice regarding service items for my Silver Shadow II. The family-run firm has been an invaluable resource for owners of post-war Rollers since its inception in 1995, and it really is a company worthy of the ‘run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts’ badge of honour. Moreover, my car’s extensive service history is littered with Flying Spares invoices, and I was keen to continue in the tradition of using a trusted source for all of its Crewe-shaped needs.

Bentley-branded fluids, filters, washers, spark plugs and windscreen wipers (not to mention a beautifully presented leather-bound chrome key fob decorated with the Rolls-Royce emblem) landed on my doorstep soon after I made contact with the Flying Spares sales team, and I’m looking forward to applying these new parts to the car’s V8 powerplant. Servicing requirements aside, its beating heart seems to be in tip-top condition – as does its GM TH400 three-speed automatic transmission – although I don’t mind telling you that I fully expected any ‘hidden’ mechanical complaints to present themselves during the aforementioned maiden voyage home. To my relief, the car ran like a dream, even if I was forced to ignore the unwanted movement and noise caused by a poorly fitted exhaust system! More on that to follow.

The cockpit of a Silver Shadow II is a fantastic place to be, and one can’t help but imagine how awe-inspiring some of the technology present must have seemed at the car’s original point of sale; dual zone climate control air conditioning, eight-way electrically adjustable seats, cruise control and power windows might sound like automotive features that we take for granted today, but it was surely more in keeping with the stuff of fantasy during the mid-to-late 1970s?! I’m also struck by the number of cigar lighters dotted about the place. In the modern world, I’m interpreting these as being handy mobile charging points!

This particular ‘Royce was restored by its previous owner during the summer of 2003. It’s largely-aluminium bodywork underwent a colour change from its factory shade of Caribbean Blue, and I have a stack of documentation that details work carried out at the time. Of course, that was well over a decade ago, and it’s fair to say that the car needs a bit of TLC in order to bring it back to its best. With that in mind, I look forward to writing project reports outlining the highs and lows of Silver Shadow II ownership, and I’ll be sure to let you know if I happen to invest in a supercharged LS7 and air ride along the way...

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the capital city of Luxembourg is the city of Luxembourg. And with that point cleared up, I’m off for another round of wafting! Toodle-pip!

THANKS

Flying Spares Ltd
Rossendale House
Station Road Industrial Estate
Market Bosworth
Warwickshire
CV13 0PE
T: 01455 292949
http://www.flyingspares.com

What a car!

The car in front is a...

Respected Rolls-Royce and Bentley parts supplier, Flying Spares, has provided genuine Crewe service parts for the car. Now all I need to do is find the time to fit 'em!

The firm also sent this nifty key fob. Nice!

The Rolls-Royce six-and-three-quarter litre V8 is a remarkably durable powerplant...

...although the example powering my car could do with a damn good clean!

Connolly beige leather upholstery with special order blue piping makes for a comfortable cabin. The jury is yet to make its mind up regarding the inclusion of that '90s head unit:

There are few automotive mascots as awe-inspiring as The Spirit of Ecstasy:

Cavalier342

Re: humbucker's 1980 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow II

Post by Cavalier342 »

I give my seal of approval :thumb :D

I GUESSED IT RIGHT!! That's the car that James May had on that challenge with the Grosser, right? :D
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:I give my seal of approval :thumb :D

I GUESSED IT RIGHT!! That's the car that James May had on that challenge with the Grosser, right? :D
Almost! James May's car is a 1972 Rolls-Royce Corniche. Either way, you were bang on the money, haha!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

AAH! :wall :lol: Oh well close enough, I'm happy with that.. Couldn't remember the model name... Anyway ye looks nice mate, I'd have one for the trunk space and cruising comfort any day...
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Bloody ell your not that old!

Never in a million years would I of guessed that.

I do hope theres some money to be made on this and that is the plan unless you are now doing weddings lol.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Errrr ok.....Different I'll give you that....

So is it Sir Humbucker from now on..... :lol:
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Wow, I thought it had to be something special.

She's a beauty, congratulations!
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Wow that's very nice, a car of elegance.
Although not my cup of tea but nice none the less
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Well done for keeping everyone guessing, but sorry that is :sick

Is there some ulterior motive for your choice of wheels?
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Cavalier342 wrote:AAH! :wall :lol: Oh well close enough, I'm happy with that.. Couldn't remember the model name... Anyway ye looks nice mate, I'd have one for the trunk space and cruising comfort any day...
Hehe, there's certainly plenty of room in it, that's for sure. The cruising comfort is unreal, although the factory ride is a bit wallowy tbh. I've ordered some uprated Bilstein dampers to sort things out in that dept.
TurboDan wrote:Bloody ell your not that old!

Never in a million years would I of guessed that.

I do hope theres some money to be made on this and that is the plan unless you are now doing weddings lol.
I hadn't intended to doff a hat and cart people around, although Mrs Humbucker has been very quick to lay out a number of trips that she'd like to undertake from within the confines of the car's walnut and Connolly-clad cabin!
Mikebmth wrote:Errrr ok.....Different I'll give you that....

So is it Sir Humbucker from now on..... :lol:
Pahahaha!
James McGrath wrote:Wow, I thought it had to be something special.

She's a beauty, congratulations!
Thanks James. I'm over the moon with the ol' girl. She's a beautiful machine. The quality of the materials used throughout is unreal.
btcctroy wrote:Wow that's very nice, a car of elegance. Although not my cup of tea but nice none the less
Thanks Troy. I'll post more pics as soon as I get a chance to take some.
iancav6 wrote:Well done for keeping everyone guessing, but sorry that is :sick Is there some ulterior motive for your choice of wheels?
Glad you approve :lol: The wheels are factory-issue Silver Shadow II 15-inchers with colour-coded, pin-striped, locking chrome hubcaps. They're wrapped in massive whitewall tyres. Most Silver Shadow IIs were equipped with them from new (including mine).
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

It does look in really good nick. Has it been restored at some point?
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

You must be rolling in money to fill up one of those ii would suspect they arnt good on petrol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

TurboDan wrote:It does look in really good nick. Has it been restored at some point?
Yeah, the exterior and mechanical components underwent a restoration in 2003 according to the service history, but not a lot has happened since (other than regular servicing etc). It had a fresh coat of paint at that point too, although the picture flatters that aspect of the car; Rolls Royce manufactured the Silver Shadow II's bonnet, doors and boot lid out of aluminium, and it looks as though the paint has reacted in places. You'd know better than I whether or not aluminium panels have to be prepared in a different way to 'regular' bodywork, but if that's the case then I guess the paint shop were unaware of what they were dealing with. It looks good from six feet away, but it won't be winning any trophies in its current state! :lol: I'm a big fan of the painted/colour coded bumpers though (chrome from factory).

Importantly, it's a solid car. I lifted all the carpets and stripped all the insulation and sound deadening wherever possible - everything is in good order. Perhaps surprisingly, these cars are designed to be used regularly (the engines will do 400k miles before any major work is required), and laying them up/keeping the miles off is detrimental to the well-being of the hydraulics/suspension/brakes etc. Driving this thing is too much of a joy not to be out and about tbh!

The interior hasn't been restored, however, and while it is complete (and features a rare leather head lining etc.) it needs bringing up to scratch. I've been speaking to a place that recover and restore leather interiors on private jets at Cambridge airport, and they've said that they'll blitz the seats for me in the new year. Watch this space.

Otherwise, it's a case of sorting a few mechanical niggles, a few electrical niggles etc. The usual stuff with an old car. It's feature rich though, which by today's standards isn't anything special, but some of the 'tech' on this car must have seemed like science fiction back in the day. No wonder it cost more than the average three bedroom house when new!
joe cavalier sri wrote:You must be rolling in money to fill up one of those ii would suspect they arnt good on petrol
Appearances can be deceptive. Fuel aside, parts and running costs on one of these ol' boats is comparable with a modern hatchback (unless you include the grille, bumpers etc.). Providing that you can do the work yourself, that is (otherwise, you'll need to cart it to your local RR dealer with a massive bag of cash!). Yes, it's got a 107-litre fuel tank, and yes, it only does 11-15mpg, but it's not a daily driver, and I won't be flooring the V8 every time that I go out in it. Tbh, maintenance and repair shouldn't cost any more than it does on a Cavalier Turbo. It only cost £150 to have both the missus and I insured fully comp on it too.
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Very nice Sir Humbucker!

So, House of Kolor flip paint and bagged ride then...
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

humbucker wrote:
iancav6 wrote:Well done for keeping everyone guessing, but sorry that is :sick Is there some ulterior motive for your choice of wheels?
Glad you approve :lol: The wheels are factory-issue Silver Shadow II 15-inchers with colour-coded, pin-striped, locking chrome hubcaps. They're wrapped in massive whitewall tyres. Most Silver Shadow IIs were equipped with them from new (including mine).
By wheels I meant the car not the rims,lol

By ulterior motive I meant is it for business ,ie weddings or bought for a charity rally?

On the plus side it has a V8,glad petrol is so cheap at the mo.Best fill up that 107 litres when fuel hits the bottom of the market,its 112p around here now,so would only cost you £120 to top it up. :lol:
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

The paint reactions are more than likely the aluminium panels oxidizing lifting the paint. This could be because it's been Stored in a damp place.
Could be wrong some pictures would help
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

lowrider dave wrote:Very nice Sir Humbucker! So, House of Kolor flip paint and bagged ride then...
Cheers Dave. How did you guess?! Air ride, supercharged LS7 etc. Standard! :lol:
iancav6 wrote: By wheels I meant the car not the rims,lol. By ulterior motive I meant is it for business ,ie weddings or bought for a charity rally? On the plus side it has a V8,glad petrol is so cheap at the mo.Best fill up that 107 litres when fuel hits the bottom of the market,its 112p around here now,so would only cost you £120 to top it up. :lol:
Nah, no desire to farm it out for weddings or anything like that. I bought it 'cause I've always loved them, and this one came up at the right price and ticked all the right boxes (for me). It's not without its faults, but I bought it with the intention of treating it like a rolling project. I'm absolutely smitten with it!
btcctroy wrote:The paint reactions are more than likely the aluminium panels oxidizing lifting the paint. This could be because it's been Stored in a damp place. Could be wrong some pictures would help
It's more like micro blistering, as though the paint has dried in cool air or similar (no corrosion to speak of). I'll upload some pics in due course. I might 'roll' it down to the body shop that I use in order to see what it would cost to paint the whole car again. A colour change is one of my long term plans for it anyway, although the Manchester City-esque 'Silver Mink' that it wears now does look good imho.
planetc

Post by planetc »

How many packets of biscuits can you get in the boot?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

planetc wrote:How many packets of biscuits can you get in the boot?
Probably half of a biscuit factory... nom nom nom... :lol:
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

Hes at rich tea level now posh biscuits :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

joe cavalier sri wrote:

Hes at rich tea level now posh biscuits :thumb
Nah - he'll be "Hob Nob-ing" with the rich and famous high "rollers" - lol :no :shock: :roll:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Robsey wrote:
he'll be "Hob Nob-ing" with the rich and famous high "rollers"

That sounds to me like a posh gay dogging session at a local gentlemen's club...
Previous:

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Strange how your mind works - :ass
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I get told that a lot, don't worry...
Previous:

Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

humbucker wrote: Cheers Dave. How did you guess?! Air ride, supercharged LS7 etc. Standard! :lol:
:D
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS