Ampera - New commute mobile..

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
DiplomaXE

Ampera - New commute mobile..

Post by DiplomaXE »

I am now Cav-less for the first time in something like 11 years. Poor blue one really died of grot and me not wanting to fix it; and Dave has the red one now for popping about in. Lots of spares here left over though.

Due to a few different personal reasons, and the very kind people at the Halifax, I am now wafting about in this -

A 2012 Vauxhall Ampera Electron in Jet Black.

For those of you who are going "what the **** is that" I will try and fill you in -

This is the first Electric drive car with a range extender petrol engine as a generator.

It is basically a RHD Chevrolet Volt, with a different front bumper and few other minor changes, built in Michigan next to Chevy Caprice's etc and shares some undercarriage with MK6 Astras and similar Chevys on the same Delta II platform.
GM and the US Gov. have spent a fortune developing this technology into something quite amazing, then Europe/UK and AUS got them in various guises.
It has a shed load of tech and innovation in it, and this is most probably the future, as long as I can also keep my fire spitting turbo car for a different kind of fun..

It is truly stunning to drive, utterly silent, just a tiny rumble from the tyres, indecently rapid, seriously cheap to run when you do the sums and does not suffer from the usual low range anxiety problems that Electric cars come with.
It goes 40-50 miles on purely electric drive, then if you are going further afield and not going to recharge it after that initial 40-50, the petrol 1.4 engine cuts in and out gently driving the motor-generator, charging/topping off a buffer zone in the battery for about 310 miles, after that you will find the fuel tank empty, like a normal car.

Super cheap to service, uber cheap on brakes as you hardly need them, it regenerates through the motor providing braking effort as you back off which in turn recharges the battery pack back up a bit further extending the range and it's kind on it's tyres too.
Masses of computer driven spec, a very awesome Bose subwoofered DVD/CD/CDR/MP3/HDD/USB/DAB "infotainment" stereo system, mega SatNav, lots of toys and full black leather.

Still getting used to it and it already needs a proper wash as I have been barely out of it since Friday.
Hayward691

Re: Ampera - New commute mobile..

Post by Hayward691 »

saw one of these the other day... Looked mean!!! Had to google it... Was proper shifting though :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looks nice.

Hmmm - I know that Cav-less feeling.
Mine is off the road too due to terminal rot.

I would consider an Ampera, but I worry about the cost of replacement battery(s).
Steaming great bus batteries cannot be cheap.

I am glad it isn't based on the Chevrolet Spark. It is too small to be nice to drive.

A big consideration for me is load area size.
Needs to be big enough to take the wife's electric wheelchair.
Is it a boot or hatch?
Boot is no good for us.
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

They are all hatchback, highish rear entry though with the tailgate open, wouldn't want to be heaving an electric chair up into it. plenty of room there though, 1000 litres with the seats down, 300 without iirc.
Battery is 200kg nearly, runs down the centre of the car and across under the rear seats and is Lithium Ion like your phones or laptops but is 16KWh!. It's not a home DIY swap kinda deal though...
When it is both being charged and in use it is temperature controlled by the cars onboard high voltage Air Con system or the HV heating system to extend it's life, plus it never fully reaches max capacity, or is discharged to a low level, it effectively uses the centre 60-70% of the overall capacity, this makes it last longer and very reliable. GM warrant them for 8 yrs/100000 miles.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

I'm sorry but really isn't my cup of tea. I can understand the move to the new car for the cost savings.
I wouldn't like to see the bill if it goes wrong, a technology nightmare.
....with a brew and my favourite biscuits.
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Ampera.....Hmmm

The car vauxhall scrapped as they couldn't sell it for trying, really Pete after the Cavs and the Monaro.... :no
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Fair enough, it's GM but it really isn't doing it for me. What's with those rear reflectors? :lol:
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

I really like these, look good on the outside and the interior is really nice.
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

Mikebmth wrote:Ampera.....Hmmm

The car vauxhall scrapped as they couldn't sell it for trying, really Pete after the Cavs and the Monaro.... :no
scrapped?
what u on about?
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

DiplomaXE wrote:
Mikebmth wrote: scrapped?
what u on about?
Discontinued production of....

Vauxhall claimed due to poor numbers sold and the production cost of the vehicle it was discontinued after a year or two, doesnt mean its a bad car but just something people obviously didn't want to buy and with a few friends owning Hybrid cars they have all got shot of them due to the costs involved in servicing and replacement of batterys etc....
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

Mikebmth wrote:
DiplomaXE wrote:
Mikebmth wrote: scrapped?
what u on about?
Discontinued production of....

Vauxhall claimed due to poor numbers sold and the production cost of the vehicle it was discontinued after a year or two, doesnt mean its a bad car but just something people obviously didn't want to buy and with a few friends owning Hybrid cars they have all got shot of them due to the costs involved in servicing and replacement of batterys etc....
yeah, could be bad, could be awesome,
Briefly (lols) -

Production cost fairly high - yes, design cost - silly high, thanks goes to the US Gov. policy for making it all happen! Cost to me - miles less than the sum of its parts and long term capability.

They (VX in the UK) have been selling and using in their own fleet, the 2 small deliveries (2 boat fulls from Michigan) of them they got for 3 years now. there's still a few left I am told.
They were 30ish-35K£ minus your UK Gov eco grant bollox subsidy thingy, depending on spec, and there's a fair bit of it.
Company car drivers pay much less in tax with one and they are free RFL which I like, but it aint everything.

It is basically a UK specced Chevy Volt, built next to the Volt in Michigan, with a few tiny changes and the funky new corporate VX front bumper like the new Zafiras are getting.
Yes, production has basically stopped and Mk2 Volt is in the pipeline nearly ready to roll.
I am told we should be getting the new shape 1.0 3 cylinder larger battery cars next year, but it would be down to the huge price, subsidies and changing people's minds about the future..

It's not a Hybrid like others or even a pure electric vehicle like a Zoe or Leaf with the range anxiety that goes with them, it's a range extending ELECTRIC drive vehicle, unlike similarly described early other makers efforts which usually are a dire styled petrol car, cut and shut, made to be a bit aerodynamic, with some very knackerable standard type batteries added where ever they can, cutting into your boot space, that help you along in traffic for a tiny bit and they do crap mpgs overall as the engine struggles, especially on the motorway or at speed. These also have little or no battery management systems and don't charge from the grid...

If you a veggie sucking hippy type (I am not) you could use your expensive solar panels to charge an Ampera, or buy your leccy from some lentil chewing power company who say they are all solar or wind power, yeah right, basically everyone knows our power stations are sitting there all night doing very little, so best tap into it for the petrol equivalent of 256 mpgs to commute to work in and you aren't so much at the mercy of petrol prices going nuts, but yes, electricity prices also change but is miles, quite literally, cheaper...it's all about the cost at point of use. far far cheaper than a newish luxury safe "normal" car. Not running a car which needs RFL of whatever £££ makes it even cheaper. more of that later....

The Chevy Volt and Holden/VX Ampera Voltec system is utterly different to others and is now the way the other manufacturers are going.

The national grid charges the traction battery, in my case overnight in 5 hours for 92p. It doesn't fully charge to the total max it could do. It charges the centre 60-65% of the capacity. it's quite clever, it does this to extend and control battery cell life.
You drive your 30-40-50 to sometimes 70 miles, purely on the traction battery driving the planetary gear system, not on your Prius type engine driving the wheels kinda system. It's not CVT like it says in the papers or the logbook!, it's got a 150hp/275lbft main motor as well as the second half power motor generator and the 80ish HP engine actually connecting in too sometimes and the torque is instant and does not stop ripping at your neck until it goes bing bing bing to tell you off for being naughty.

At all times, even during discharging and charging - importantly, the battery modules are monitored and conditioned together and either cooled or heated by the cars high voltage HVAC system so everything lasts as long as possible. As long as you don't cut the car in half and physically wreck the traction battery it could and can last indefinitely. Even though there is a potential for things to go wrong with them, it seems they really dont and as well as car of the year it enjoys a very high customer satisfaction rate. Even if the main battery were to degrade at a low level and a few have shown a few % change, the car doesn't die, it just loses a tad of electric range, you certainly don't need to ever change the battery pack/assembly.

When you/if you were to (I havent yet) run out of traction battery range commuting to work, it actually has held back about 20-25% of it's capacity as a buffer, to still use in the next phase, which is where the engine cuts in and out for up to 310-350ish miles if need be, without refuelling or recharging, running the motor/generator to power the car and to top that battery "buffer" zone back up to that minimum level, it still shifts along on the battery, but cuts the engine in and out when needed, idling away. I can only hear mine with a window down or if I were to give it a bootful when it steps up the revs to maintain that buffer zone in the battery.

If you want to recharge again, you can and then go again for an average of 45 miles for 92p, if you don't or can't, you don't have to, don't bother, no worries, it doesn't strand you on the hard shoulder like a Leaf or Zoe etc, just refill the 35 litre tank as usual for another 310-350ish miles, although I have been getting 48 to 56mpg on the petrol part on further afield journeys so far, so maybe 400 miles is possible, it still drives the same - epicgearchangeless torque from 0 to 105 mph in almost utter silence, unless you try and go deaf with your "banging choonz" on the awesome Bose stereo.
Sport mode is more mental, is insane and it hurts.

Servicing is silly cheap as there is very little to do. Around 100£ a year or less as Engine oil can last 60,000 miles or even more, if the engine is not used much.
Air filter, pollen filter, gear oil every 8 years or somesuch, check over stuff.

As the battery is uber managed for an epic long life. even after 250000-300000 mile ones have only lost a few percent of usable range/capacity.
The brakes last a monumental time as the regenerative braking sorts almost all of your retardation, also recharging the traction battery a tad further extending your range.

Vauxhall, ie us over here, had 2 deliveries of UK cars, both in 2012, early on like mine and later on in the year so even an almost new one where there's a few left in stock are 3 years old. We never had many as they were so expensive compared to run of the mill cars and it is definitely early days with the charging infrastructure being a tad confusing if you desired to charge at a Little Chef somewhere instead of being in control of it all at home. The government subsidy made them more attractive with 5k off, this is either just about to change or just has changed. it could hold back take up of these and similar cars for sure.

Chevy ones are about out of production and apart from a week or so when they re-tooled the factory in the early days, they haven't stopped since 2010-2011.
There's 60,000+ of them in the world, they haven't "scrapped" anything as far as I can see, they have made some changes, some didn't like the lack of a 5th seat so they are addressing that I'm told (not bothering me at at all tbh) designed the Volt mk2, fiddled about a bit, they are going for a smaller engine, larger different shape battery I am told and it's out soon. New ones sound like a lot of initial depreciation to me though.

Will it change my lust for a good roar in a head turning classic sportscar I have always wanted and ought to never sell - nope,
Will it change my enjoyable drives with the roof down in a superb turbocharged Astra listening to my favorite music - nope
Will it really piss off my boss at work if I were to charge it at work for nearly free in a special parking space for smug fcukers - yes
Will it make my whole motoring bill cheaper so I can do more of the first 2 above - yes
Does it count as a toy in the "he who dies with the most toys wins" discussion - I think - hell yes

Hope that answers a few questions you didn't have! and some you might have. It is truly a remarkable effort which points the way to the future.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

Batteries are not the future!
They are expensive, making the batteries and disposing of batteries emmits carbon emmisions on a large scale.
It isn't the answer over fossil fuels. It will help conserve what's left.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Troy's right. As Sea Sick Steve once pointed out on Top Gear, he can carry on driving his '51 Chevy station wagon for another lifetime, and it'll still do less harm to the planet than one of these Duracell cars.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

btcctroy wrote:Batteries are not the future!
They are expensive, making the batteries and disposing of batteries emmits carbon emmisions on a large scale.
Yeah, I see where you might be coming from, it's the usual old story, carbon emissions etc etc. but they already are the future for many.
It's happened. it's down to point of use cost savings as I said, I am not desperately bothered about what was spent building it, it's the fact I don't have to be tied to one type of fuel to get to work.
btcctroy
Mk3 Cavalier Rust Buster

Post by btcctroy »

DiplomaXE wrote:
Yeah, I see where you might be coming from, it's the usual old story, carbon emissions etc etc. but they already are the future for many.
It's happened. it's down to point of use cost savings as I said, I am not desperately bothered about what was spent building it, it's the fact I don't have to be tied to one type of fuel to get to work.
At the end of the day if you like it then that's all that matters.
I don't really like any new day to day car, there all boring, to many buttons and gadgets that shouldn't be in a car.
I hate driving and its so much worse not hearing any engine noise and only road noise
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

btcctroy wrote:
DiplomaXE wrote:
At the end of the day if you like it then that's all that matters.
I don't really like any new day to day car, there all boring, to many buttons and gadgets that shouldn't be in a car.
I hate driving and its so much worse not hearing any engine noise and only road noise
Indeed, we all have our likes and dislikes. I like wicked acceleration and pin sharp handling being a Lotus man. The PC on his bike last year though wasn't as impressed. But that in itself is not everything.

Shame you hate driving though, that amazes me, but I am so glad everyone in the world is different and has passions, apart from the numpties that watch x factor or that falling over big brother on ice, of course.......they are all the same! When that sh1tte is on or crap that's similar, I'll be found in the garage or shed fettling something, or having a nice drive round the New Forest or somewhere low stress, just for my pleasure, no-one elses.
Part of the fun of my driving licence is the vast differences between different vehicles that one can get to drive and the lack of gadgets in some things, or mass of gadgets that can be found and mastered, or not found as the case may be! on different road cars especially, make the lifelong experience anything but boring, in fact i find them a bit of a mobile fortress of solitude most of the time, away from the now more than occasional scum asbo neighbours and their awful rat of a yapping dog, or the jealous bullying boss. Some of the simplest machines though, as you say, can be the best.

I've always been into various cars and/or weird motorised stuff over the years as I like to experience many things before the cancer finally gets me but as often as I can I restore and ride bikes, have a good go in many of my mates Jaguar collection (love another Jag TBH) I have built and sprinted my own cars and others, built kit cars and won events in those, done green laning up rivers and ditches, been upside down in a lake in a Land rover, that was ace! Being a lifelong motor sport enthusiast in the motor clubs, we auto-tested a Sinclair C5, we rally cars, we break them, then perfect them, race cars of all sorts, driven formula single seaters, ferraris good and bad, I won many a production car trial and a few autotests in my old learner driver Corsa Diesel, lost a fair few in borrowed or hired cars too saying that, just as much fun though. Been in ditches in fits of laughter, been on the roof with my best mate,on L plates we put my mums escort neck height in a flooded ford, it was all good!
I sometimes drive battle tanks, prototype/strange inventions and weird military wagons I cant elaborate anymore about, hire vans, good and bad hire cars, tracked vehicles, bigger lorries and my electric push bike is yet another amazing invention on a nice enough day. If it's got wheels I love it, the engineering that goes into them, the design, the style of some of them, the driving experience, all make my day.
joe cavalier sri

Post by joe cavalier sri »

The back end is nasty it looks like it was designed in a coffee break front end isn't that bad I saw one of these the other day I liked it till I saw the back end lol.