Volvo c70 convertible

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Cavalier342

Re: Volvo c70 convertible

Post by Cavalier342 »

I'm going to sound blunt here and admins please forgive me.

That twonk needs to sort his act out, he is obviously trying to get one over on you, there is nothing that he can do legally about a private sale, if he wasn't happy with it, he shouldn't have bought it. Please forgive me but I would shoot him dead the next time I saw him, I realize that we aren't in America and that's the unfortunate truth, as a shotgun would be a more effective defense than some unnecessary court date.

Cannot believe this has gone on this long, as I'm sure you cannot either. I REALLY hope that that twonk loses as much as he deserves trying to chase this sodding worthless case.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

You only need to watch these day time court programs to realise that there are a lot of idiots out there chasing rediculous claims.

Maybe he is seeing if he can scare you with legal action, to force you to give in to his stupid claims.
Some people would settle out of court, just to cut their losses and regain some peace of mind.
I personally would not budge, and see if he pulls out at the last minute.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Don't worry I'm not backing down for anything .nothing rings true about his claims etc, but I can't mention them on an open forum in case it does go all the way. I still doubt there's anything actually wrong with the car but he refuses to give me an engineers report. Even if he has had one done if I don't get a copy within the next two weeks then it can't be used in court.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I've got the court next week. Apparently he's claiming I'm a dealer because I stamped my own service book and took a battery off a scrap car.!!!! Under British law it's going to be up to me to prove that I'm not a dealer, but how can I prove I'm not something I'm not ? I really wish I'd just doused the sodding car in petrol and dropped a match on it! There was nothing bloody wrong with it when I sold it, why on earth have I been chased for 8 months?
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Question is : what is a classification of a “dealer / trader”?

Do you run a business, registered / company house, have dealer insurance, business receipt,...

Also what differentiates dealer / private seller?

Many 1000’s of people sell their cars using autotrader / eBay etc ... dealer cars are marked as “trader” or private listing.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

As far as I'm aware, to be a "dealer" or trader, you have to sell more than a certain number of cars in a year, or in 6 months, can't remember which one. So if you sell less than say 2 or 3 cars a year, that's not a trader, that's private selling.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I've followed your post recently and can't believe the crap you've had to go through.

You've been very unlucky with your buyer, I do think it's an age thing, the younger the buyer (even by a few years) the more they expect/ less they know about the realities of buying an older car :roll:
He's probably realised the fuel costs and is trying to renege on the deal.

My best search result for you is here
https://www.raccars.co.uk/about/safety/rights

Hope that eases your mind a bit.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hmm - most of that is 'Buying From A Dealer'.

It doesn't say much with regarding "Selling privately".

I wish you well on this one.
I am sure that he will have to provide photographic / written evidence on official documentation to have a decent chance of winning.

Personally I hate court appearances, even as an innocent party (PIP tribunal) or a defence witness.
Being the defendent would freak me out.

Sad fact is that lots of people are just out to get the better of others - usually making the most rediculous claims.

As said, I wish you well. Hopefully the judge will see the scam artist for what he is, and rule in your favour.

I suspect there will be a lot of Cavalier members with their fingers crossed in support for you.
I know my fingers will be.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:Hmm - most of that is 'Buying From A Dealer'.
I agree, I should have been more specific.
Robsey wrote:It doesn't say much with regarding "Selling privately".
Ah - I see what you mean.
I interpreted the buying privately part conversely, more as a concise checklist for the private seller to 'tick all the boxes' and be reassured the onus is on the buyer.
Robsey wrote:Sad fact is that lots of people are just out to get the better of others - usually making the most ridiculous claims.
Sad but true.
People who have never struggled expect too much :roll:
Robsey wrote:......., I wish you well. Hopefully the judge will see the scam artist for what he is, and rule in your favour.

I suspect there will be a lot of Cavalier members with their fingers crossed in support for you.
I know my fingers will be.
Mine too :thumb
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Finally this case is over, I even got a small amount out of him for expenses. Very pleased that I won, such a shame it took nearly 8 months though.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Thank God for that. Congratulations.

I've got allot of faith in our legal system. I would have been surprised if you had lost the case.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

It was a very close call, if I'd of worked as a car mechanic instead of a plant fitter the judge said I would of been classed as in the trade and thus liable. It's a big weight lifted off my shoulders and was very satisfying seeing the look on his face as he had to write me a cheque out! He didn't help his case though by not sending a response to the last order and started questioning the judge as she started reading her judgement out!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

First rule of court appearances.
Do not question the judge.

Judge Judy taught me that a long time ago. - ha ha.

Yes, good news at long last.
Glad to hear it all turned out well in the end.
Time for a few stiff drinks to ease you back to normality.

:cheers
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:First rule of court appearances.
Do not question the judge.

Judge Judy taught me that a long time ago. - ha ha.

Yes, good news at long last.
Glad to hear it all turned out well in the end.
Time for a few stiff drinks to ease you back to normality.

:cheers
yep, there's a bottle of spirits with my name on. Just been out for a meal with my wife courtesy of his payment, as well.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Good result - Now you can relax.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mazza wrote:Good result - Now you can relax.
Yes definitely. In the past I have at times purchased cars on a bit of a whim knowing that when I get bored I could always sell them on, however after this experience I won't do this anymore. On the up side though it should save me a lot of money as I always seem to sell them for a lot less than I paid lol. Still can't believe he spent over £450 in court fees and costs plus his time for a £1300 car!
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Congrats :cheers probably cost him the same again as the original price he paid you for the car might teach him a lesson, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

He was probably hoping you'd lose, in which case you would become liable for his costs.

Well tuff turkeys... he lost and now probably feeling even more upset.
That will teach him to try and pull a fast one.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:He was probably hoping you'd lose, in which case you would become liable for his costs.

Well tuff turkeys... he lost and now probably feeling even more upset.
That will teach him to try and pull a fast one.
You're probably right I guess he was hopping to clock my bill up but the stupid thing was that win or loose he was liable for all costs as my brother had found the clause about notice of intent. If you plan on taking somebody to court you have to give them 14 days notice before issuing proceedings, if you don't then you have to pay the bill. It's apparently not that well known so worth using if you're ever unfairly taken to court. ( a lot of judges and soliciters don't know about it) If you loose though you will obviously still have to pay the rest of the money claimed.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Congratulations on the end result, it's only right that you won the case from what I've gathered.
Previous: