Volvo c70 convertible

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Volvo c70 convertible

Post by 3cav3 »

Here's my volvo c70 soft top. It's a one previous owner + demonstrator from new. Full volvo service history and only 90k on the clock. It's got full heated leather, electric everything. The only down side is because of the auto box and bring a very heavy car it only averages about 18mpg, but come a nice sunny day all is forgiven.
3cav3

Re: Volvo c70 convertible

Post by 3cav3 »

After the weekend sadly this one will be for sale, there's now 96k on the clock, with full Volvo history. Electric everything, full heated leather. £1500 if anyone is interested. Believe it was nearly a £35k car when new, Cruise, dual climate, 5 speed auto, electric hood, decent factory fit stereo, and probably loads more that I've forgotten. Only for sale as I no longer have much use for it. Nearly forgot mot is till next April. If no interest I'll keep it till the spring when demand goes up.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Finally bought myself to sell this, only been on the market two days and I'm already beginning to regret it. People won't accept that I won't take their stupid offers( I don't need the money), and are getting put out that I won't leave work the second they ring to come and meet them in the middle of the day! ( in case they turn up)The last time I looked the average person worked Monday to Friday 8-5.
I've told the one chap 4 times now the death is £1300, if that's no good then thanks for your interest, but under that price I'll break it for parts.
Such a shame as its a really nice car.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Looks a nice car - sadly with any car sale you will get total knob-cheeses trying it on.

It is normal for most to haggle the price down I suppose, but you will get some that take the mick...
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Way of the world is people always want things for less than advertised. People are more than happy to splash out that much for a silly thin phone or some other touch-screen device, but for a good solid car, oh boy, that's where they start to reveal their true inner cheapskate selves.

Hopefully you will find a good home for the car for a fair price, it does look nice and tidy.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I quite expected to drop a bit which is why I had it up for £1495 and was prepared to take £1300. I just don't like people's aggressiveness when it comes to cars. This morning I had a chap from round the corner contact me about and I said he could come this morning before I left for work or afterwards. He tried everything to get me to drop down to £1200, but I stood my ground and as a result got a sale. Sorry to see it go but I just couldn't keep up with its thirst for petrol!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

At least you've achieved a sale, I think it's a fair price for it, based on the condition of if in the photo.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

After the polish at the local vale ting centre had gone to town on it( only £25) it looked even better than the photos.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well I hit a bit of a snag with this one. Not long after sale this car broke down. Now in the 2 years that id owned it I had never once had a breakdown. All I had ever done was to service it once, fit a couple of front tyres, some wiper blades and a bulb. It was the sort of car youd genuinely of been happy to sell it to a mate.
The recipet was quite clear that it was sold as seen and tested(as I always do), he even signed one copy. Ive had some pointed answer phone messages and text messages demanding that I gave a refund.
I feel sorry that its happened but how do I know that it isn't something that hes done?
He then tried threatening me with trading standards, as Im not a Trader I told him to do so.
Whats really annoyed me is that a neighbour has told me that hes turned up at my house when I was out.
I cant get a signal at the second but when I do tomorrow he will be told to take legal advise. If he would tell me whats gone wrong then maybe I could give him advice on how to repair it, however he wont tell me whats wrong!
As a private seller without charging extra for a warrantee then I cant really be expected to offer one.
As when I buy cars privately at the point of sale it becomes my problem, particularly when like me I was genuinely not trying to tuck any one over. As far as I was concerned it was a real good car.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Why are some people just out there to purely agonize others around them? If all the paperwork has been signed and the sale is 100% legit then there is nothing he can do or say to make you give him a re-fund. Stand your ground with this one, and remember that he wanted to drag you down on the price in the first place, that to me just seems like he is a typical no-good fraudster out to inconvenience your life.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Exactly, as a private seller I only have to tell the truth( there was no known faults at the point of sale and he would also have to prove anyway that I knew and that they happened prior to him driving it away, which as there was non he can't).
Secondly I have to legally own the car, which I did, and thirdly unless stated otherwise it has to be road legal which as it had a new mot on it I should be fairly covered.
Private sellers are not obliged in anyway to give a warranty , only dealers and I've found from previous experience dealers often refuse their legal obligations anyway.
I just really could do with out the hassle. After having an exemplary breakdown record, how could I know there was anything going to go wrong? I strongly suspect that he ragged it causing something to break.
At the end of the day it's an ,04 car with 97k on the clock, you can't expect it to be a brand new car. He's arguing that he wanted a car to take on a long journey and it should of done do. I think it should but to be fair I was 100% certain that it would of done so. In fact prior to sale I had been considering a 300 mile journey in it myself, it was just its thirst for fuel that dictated that I went in the end in my diesel works van instead.
Since buying my white cavalier I've had a few issues, nothing major, but I'm going to have to spend a couple of hundred putting right. This I expected to be honest as it was an old car that hadn't been used much for the last few years. I haven't dreamed of contact the guy who sold it me as it was a private sale.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

It's just some typical turd who wants to get one over on you, it must be incredibly frustrating. Either way, the car is his now and it's his responsibility to look after it. I wouldn't be surprised if you found it for sale on the local free ads/gumtree in a week or so.
Previous:

Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Don't need all this, we've all bought cars 'sold as seen' and if there's a problem you get on and fix it.
If he starts to threaten I think I would be inclined to respond with a legal letter pointing out the facts.

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The stupid thing is that I wouldn't mind betting it's probably something really simple that if only he'd of been civil I could of probably of advised how to fix as having owned a lot of volvos over the years I'm very familiar with most their quirks. In his texts he basically called me a liar and suggested that I set out to con him. This is the last thing that I would of done. For a start I'm an honest person and secondly as I mentioned before I don't need the money. However on principal after his rudeness I'm not backing down. At the end of the day I've done nothing wrong. He says that my eBay discription was not acurate, my answer is if this was the case why after viewing twice did he still go ahead and purchase it? The main of my description was about 10 high resolution photos and a list of its service history. I can now understand why a lot of people just part ex their cars in, saves a lot of hassle.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

It's all down to how the buyer seems in person, if they seem genuine then there should be no problems, unfortunately in your case you've come across a bad one.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Cavalier342 wrote:It's all down to how the buyer seems in person, if they seem genuine then there should be no problems, unfortunately in your case you've come across a bad one.
You can say that again. The last car prior to this that I sold was not right,(Ford Focus estate) but I listed it as such, even mentioning a clunk that only happened after a journey of at least 30 miles. Told the buyer that it was an expolice car ( if I was dishonest I could of easily registered it in the wife's name and loose any mention of the police in the log book, another owner on a £500 car would of not made any difference to its value) and that the missus had scraped it down one side on a bridge. I also pointed out that with the mot due to the crash damage was only a liberal interpretation of the rules, yet he still came on a 300 mile round trip to buy it. I made it very clear that I was only selling it because I hated it and no longer trusted it.
I spoke to him about 6 months later and he insisted on telling what a bargain he thought he'd had. He said a couple of things had gone wrong since, but he fully expected that.Why couldn't the guy who bought this Volvo be more like the focus buyer? I.e live in the real world.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Unfortunately the real world is what it is. You get your genuine good people and you get your scumbags who will try anything to get their way.
Previous:

Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Yes I agree ... many years back I sold my wifes a3 sports car. On the day of collecting, the whole family came including grandma. She gave me lip about the car/price etc. Even complaining about some of the extras in the car!

I politely told her told where to go and wait until we're done ..!??!

I wasn't expecting it all!!!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Mazza wrote:Yes I agree ... many years back I sold my wifes a3 sports car. On the day of collecting, the whole family came including grandma. She gave me lip about the car/price etc. Even complaining about some of the extras in the car!

I politely told her told where to go and wait until we're done ..!??!

I wasn't expecting it all!!!
Definitely gypsies.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Apparently he is going to issue county court proceedings. Could get quite expensive for him.
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

3cav3 wrote:Apparently he is going to issue county court proceedings. Could get quite expensive for him.

Really? What a moron.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I will keep you updated on this but now ive got the court paper work im going to have to fight it. Ive spoken to my brother who works for a top London law firm as a solicter and there appears to be a very slim chance that I may loose!
Something to bare in mind when you sell a car as seen and tested with no warranty. I have been advised in the future to mark the car down as being scrap and sold as spares or repairs reguardless of its condition.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just a word of warning to anyone selling their car, I thought this was all forgotten about, having not heard anything for months, however when I got home tonight there was a letter saying I've got to go to court over this next month. For Christ sake, it was a 13 year old car with nearly 100k on the clock. Sold as seen and tested! I think next time I'm just going to weigh them in!!! I still haven't sold my white cavalier, I know now where it's going!
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Sounds like you need legal aid! Better get some support on your side, this appears to be one of those cases where you can't do much about it, but get some legal advice anyway, never know, it may help in some way.
Previous:

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Cavalier342 wrote:Sounds like you need legal aid! Better get some support on your side, this appears to be one of those cases where you can't do much about it, but get some legal advice anyway, never know, it may help in some way.
As stated before my brother is a top London lawyer so will draft my defence. What I don't get is I had a letter from the court saying that basically if he didn't show I was a dealer then it would be struck out in October. As if heard nothing since I assumed that it was all over. The buyer though has to pay another £115 to get it before the judge which win or lose he can't claim back as he didn't give me 2 weeks notice of intent.
What I want to know is why the British legal system has allowed it get this far. I sold an ultra reliable car in good faith but with no warranty as I'm a private seller and I never have been a dealer. The buyer has done nothing what so ever to show that the fault was present at sale- which it wasn't!