My daily runaround Astra van

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

My daily runaround Astra van

Post by 3cav3 »

Here's my 2008 Astra van with the rare rear seat conversion. It's got a 6 speed box so can do over 70 mpg on a run. I've had it for just over 5 years. Keeping thinking about changing it but for what? Just a little suprised that it's allready showing a little bit of rust at the bottom of the arches, I thought vauxhall was supposed to of overcome their rust issues by now? 155k on the clock and still drives like new though. Only major components it's had replaced was the gearbox just before I bought it, then 6 flywheels and clutches because the vauxhall dealer put the clutch plate in back to front and it took a while to track down the fault. Even though it was changed the slave cylinder has started leaking in the bell housing again, rather than take the gearbox off again I simply top it up every 6 mths or so but know eventually it will have to be done aggain.
cavalier1990

Re: My daily runaround Astra van

Post by cavalier1990 »

Tidy looking van. Always thought the estate/van somehow suited that car better. Same as latest astra, looks better in estate.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

cavalier1990 wrote:Tidy looking van. Always thought the estate/van somehow suited that car better. Same as latest astra, looks better in estate.
Yeah it's pretty tidy for an 9 year old van but being used mainly as a car has probably helped. I even used it as my wedding car a few years ago as money was tight, I've a photo somewhere of it decked out in wedding ribbons.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well sadly as of tonight this van is no more! Somebody parked their Passat on the corner of the windscreen/ roof, ouch!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

How on earth did they do that.? :shock:

Such a shame and a waste of a perfectly good car. :(
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

They were Driving like lunatics. I was lucky to walk away with just whiplash. It was a bunch of kids in daddy's car, but the dad was with them! The problem is I doubt I'm going to get much off the insurance for a 160k van.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Not much compensation,
but thankfully you weren't more seriously injured.

I hope they throw the book at them!!
I sound like an old fart, but people turn into complete tits behind the wheel these days.
:roll:
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I totally agree with you. Looking at it properly in daylight it's amazing how little the windscreen pillar moved, seeing as it was this part that took most the impact. Could be a lot worse I suppose but after having a chat with the insurance company this morning I will probably only get about £7-800 back off them. It's just had nearly £500 spent on it for its mot about 3 weeks ago as I got the garage to go to town and give it a mini overhaul, plus 4 new mitchealin tyres. Going to see if I can find another one with rear seats otherwise I'll have to rob it out of this one.
All could of been avoided with just a little bit of thought!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well I may of come out of this ok. Apparently the insurance assessor spoke up for me about how tidy the van was pre accident, so the insurance company are going to pay out just shy of £1800 and I also get to keep the remains. The only problem is now all the good vans seem to of disappeared, will just have to keep looking.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Good news then :thumb Now all you've got to do is find another van, do you use it for work ?
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Yes most days it's used for work, although it's been mainly used as a car since I've had it.
I've been looking all over for a replacement but almost all the good ones have virtually disappeared. Always the same. I'm ideally looking for a 1.7 sportive, 2010 or newer, preferably in red, black or silver. Really don't want anything to much over 100k miles. Got about £4K + vat to spend if anyone hears of anything. Would consider another club if it's got aircon, - I'm fed up nearly dying in the heat during the few days of summer that we get.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well up until today every van I had seen was a bit of a dog, but this morning I purchased this example. I know it's another club but the condition is such that I had to buy it and it's got the all important aircon. Looking forward to collecting it next weekend.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Nice to see a positive outcome. :)

I presume you will be fitting all the toys from your old car to "plush-up" this one.

Sounds all good after all that rigmarole.
:cool
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Yep rear seat conversion kit is already striped. Will be taking basically everything off the smashed one, including engine and gearbox etc( looking on eBay they charge £500 for a good box on its own and the one in this has only done 60kscince it was replaced. The new tyres etc will come off to be used but the new van has a set of hardly used Firestone all round so it will be a while yet before they are used, the rears on my old one did over 60k!
Not that keen on removing the floor extension to refit the rear seats but it shouldn't be to bad.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just a word of warning! If you get hit by another driver make sure you ask the insurance company for another couple of grand on top of the pay out to cover the hike in your premium. Aparently getting hit by another driver makes you a worse risk that triples your insurance!!! My has jumped from £200 to over £600! The other party was found totally at fault and is being prosecuted by the police. I tried ringing round a lot of companies and a lot are declining to even cover me.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is strange.
I was hit in the wife's car last year.
Other party found to be fully at fault.

Yes my renewal letter quoted premium amounts that were rediculous - like you say, about triple.
But after shopping around, and then phoning the best quoting companies direct, I was able to renew at a similar premium to last year.

I suppose if you mention the "modified" word, they do get a bit twitchy.
But normally only if it is performance enhancements.

I have always declared any changes from original factory spec, including fitting a bigger engine, and
any no fault claims within the past 5 year period.

Upto now, I have never been refused cover.

Strangely, my current premiums are almost the same as they were when I got my first car in 1989.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thought I'd put the rear seats in my new van today, looking at it in the week I thought it would only be about 3 cuts, that won't take long. How wrong was I? 6 hours later they are in! just got to modify the side panels and rubber mat now, probably take another few hours.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I gave up estimating time allowances on cars.
It never seems to be as quick and easy in practice as it looks in theory.

But then, when I do actually pull my finger out and do jobs on our cars, I do like to do them properly.
Almost to O.C.D. standards.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Had very little trouble with this van except under lockdown when due to short journeys only the turbo got clogged up which caused random cutting out then once it eventually started it refused to rev over 500 rpm for ages.
Anyway that issue was resolved after a lot of head scratching.
All has been fine until last night when leaving work it cut out and the ignition switch was dead. I noticed an F kept flashing up on the gid display. Looking up on line this is supposed to indicate an automatic transmission fault. However this van is manual.
After locking/unlocking the van several times it suddenly started. No fault codes stored in the ecu. Any thoughts?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As a thought....
You can treat the Astra-H the same as the Vectra-C.
By this I mean you can do a system reboot.

Our 2005 Vectra constantly throws a wobbler with spanner lights and engine lights.
The joys of Vauxhall's earlier dabbles with CAN based vehicle controls.

Anyway back to the useful part.

If you get an error code, it is often just the modules getting confused. The best solution is to do a system reboot.
By this I mean.

Open the driver's window,
Turn off the ignition and remove the key
Pop the bonnet.
Get out and Open the bonnet.
Go for a brew.

After 5 minutes, the car goes to sleep.
"Quiescent Mode".
Disconnect the battery.
Finish your brew and have a bacon butty.
After 15 minutes, reconnect your battery.

Finish your bacon butty
After 5 minutes, you can close the bonnet and turn on the ignition.

All the modules will have rebooted with fresh data.

You will need to resynchronise your electric windows and roof.
The CAN based radios will work fine. You do not have to re-input the code.

Hopefully you will now be error free.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for that, I'll definitely give it a go. Fingers crossed that it works as I really don't want to get rid of the van,as am very non plused with the new combo having driven the fiat badged version. The problem is that my work have been trying to get me to upgrade this van for the last 18mths or so, and as soon as it starts getting troublesome there will be even more leverage to get the keys off me. Such a shame Vaxhall discontinued the Astra Van as now business is doing better they would probably let me choose one around a year old, but the thought of all the electronics and emission controls scare the crap out of me and I've not driven a van as nice to as the Astra.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Been fighting issues with this van on and off for the last 18mths, random spates off cutting out, refusing to rev etc. Tried a couple of garages, as no fault codes showed up. The first claimec they tried blanking the egr, the second suggested a blocked turbo, chemical cleaner in the fuel did temporarily seem to cure it, then it came back. In desperation I tried replacing the air flow sensor, temporarily again seemed sorted. But at xmas the cutting out and limp mode came back. Tried a £60 an hour garage and they claimed the egr valve hadn't been blanked so they did. 2 days later the issue came back, had to resort to turning the dash lights off every day to drive it. Thought this is stupid, this is when I noticed some carbon leak around the valve, and found the bolts holding it down had come lose! Or never been tightened properly in the first place.
One new egr valve later all seems fine.The old one was stuck wide open. Why can't we go back to old fashioned engines with no electronics, it'd make life a lot simpler.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Is it a CDTi by any chance?
The EGR is the achilles heel on our 1.9 CDTi Vectra-C.

I cleaned it many times due to sooting up, but eventually cleaning will not put off the engine light.
Finally fitted a new pierburg egr last year.

It does run better and less smokey with a clean working EGR.

Don't you hate it when garages take your money but do not do the work.

At least it is sorted now :)
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:23 pm Is it a CDTi by any chance?
The EGR is the achilles heel on our 1.9 CDTi Vectra-C.

I cleaned it many times due to sooting up, but eventually cleaning will not put off the engine light.
Finally fitted a new pierburg egr last year.

It does run better and less smokey with a clean working EGR.

Don't you hate it when garages take your money but do not do the work.

At least it is sorted now :)
Yep 1.7 cdti. Euro 5. This one was stuck wide open. Very sooted up. There was cheap ones on ebay but im always a bit doubtful on quality so got one off my normal supplier for about £250.
The garage that claimed they had repaired it the first time have stopped trading, after over a hundred years In future I think I'm going back to doing all my own repairs, as it seems the only way to guarantee the standard of work. But just wish we could return to mechanical only vehicles.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I got mine from an ebay seller, but a known Vauxhall parts supplier.
Only about £79... for a proper Pierburg, not a poor Chinese copy Pierburg.