My daily runaround Astra van

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: My daily runaround Astra van

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:56 pm I got mine from an ebay seller, but a known Vauxhall parts supplier.
Only about £79... for a proper Pierburg, not a poor Chinese copy Pierburg.
I did see a few on ebay for around £80 odd but have bad experiences with cheap items particularly on there. Work was footing the bill( but I still had to fit it) so reliability was more important than saving a few quid.
The haynes manual stated that you had to drain the cooling system, first, as I suspected you dont. Very pleased I went with my gut instinct.
After a couple of weeks the light still hasn't shown back up on the dashboard so fingers crossed its finally cured.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Haynes expects you to drain the coolant to change a tyre... :roll: :no
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:20 pm Haynes expects you to drain the coolant to change a tyre... :roll: :no
For some things the Haynes Manuals are godsends ( sadly the latest cars seem to only have the manual available online only, I much prefer a paper copy to cover in oily fingerprints,) however.....
The worst inaccuracy I seem to remember from haynes was with the mk2 Golf. When the heater motor played up I believe it said you needed to remove the whole dashboard, however if you pulled down the cover and twisted the motor was out. I found if you removed the shelf from under the glovebox access was drastically improved but wasn't actually necessary but still only took about an extra 2 minutes.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

3cav3 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:26 am For some things the Haynes Manuals are godsends ( sadly the latest cars seem to only have the manual available online only, I much prefer a paper copy to cover in oily fingerprints,) however...

Be wary of the online only Haynes manuals if you run a newer car alongside your Cavalier as I do. A lot of them now seem to be just generic instructions and pictures culled from all their other manuals and not specific to the particular car at all. They do include some torque settings for the car they are supposed to cover, but the rest is just general instructions on how to do servicing and a few maintenance jobs which, if you've messed about with car jobs for a few years, you know all about anyway. They are not a patch on the original Haynes manuals which really were comprehensive in their coverage.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well, issues have reared their ugly head again. The van has started missing and not boosting again. The lack of boost made me suspect the turbo being blocked again. Tried the forte cleaner and seems touch wood to of cured it.
Since I've moved house I'm only doing about 6 miles each way on country roads, so I can see this being an ongoing issue. Apart from moving again I can't really see a solution. All this caused by do gooders wanting lower emissions. A newer van is only likely to lead to even more problems with the way in which euro 6 strangles them, plus I'm yet to find someone who hasn't had issues with the add blue system. Might have to resort to a push bike.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

With such short runs, I suspect the van will barely get up to temperature, so the fuel enrichment will probably still be active making emissions more soot laden.
You need a good 15 minute drive with revs in excess of 3500 rpm.
Only then will the dpf and the inlet manifold have a chance to de-clog.
Forced d.p.f. regeneration.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:13 pm With such short runs, I suspect the van will barely get up to temperature, so the fuel enrichment will probably still be active making emissions more soot laden.
You need a good 15 minute drive with revs in excess of 3500 rpm.
Only then will the dpf and the inlet manifold have a chance to de-clog.
Forced d.p.f. regeneration.
At the moment I just don't have time to any extra journeys. I'm working the best part of 50 hours a week for my job, then slowly rebuilding my house and also rebuilding my Bedford, plus add to that trying to have some family life, means that until they start making weeks 8 days long I'm just out of time.
I get what you're saying about forcing a regen, but what I dont get is how burning extra fuel in the process is supposed to be good for the environment.
For work a pure electric vehicle would probably resolve the problem, but have you seen the price of them, plus the electricity cost to charge them? Once the Bedford is finally finished it will probably give a good solution. Such a shame my 57 plate got written off, being Euro 4 instead of Euro 5 that the 61 plate is would probably of saved most of my issues. It also returned about 6mpg better aswell, plus more go - despite on paper being lower bhp.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I can only assume it is environmentally friendly in so far as the dpf regeneration would only be triggered on a long motorway, which is usually emissions-zone exempt.

The fact that the dpf 'holds onto' the particulates until a forced high speed fart kicks the whole lot out on the motorway, burning many times more fuel per mile appears to be irrelevant in the eyes of the designers and legislation makers.

At least we now recycle pig-piss, which is more or less all AdBlue is.

Hmm the thought of someone's car farting out soot, partially burnt fuel, and pig-piss in my face on the motorway is not very wholesome. Cheers designers.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The gearbox in this van has been doing the old M32 trick of eating its bearings. The noise had been getting worse and worse so at my bosses request when I dropped it off for the mot I had the gearbox oil changed , and some molyslip additive filled as well. Picked up the van tonight, thought great its actually gone quieter, got less than 100yds off the forecourt and suffered total transmission failure. Had to push it back along the main road in the dark!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Oh joy!!
I brilliant efficient gearbox, spoilt by a crappy bearing set up.
I cannot see your boss having a replacement box fitted.
It would be cheaper than a new car...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Such a shame as its still an almost immaculate van, ok there's a 160k+ on the clock but for a 12 year commercial thats not a lot in this day and age. There's loads if silly niggles wrong with it, each one not a big issue on their own but added together builds up to a lot. Plus if a gearbox is fitted it will need a flywheel and clutch, plus a new timming belt kit and a major service. It randomly ticks over eratically, but since the last turbo clean it runs fine under load. I really like this van, between this one and the written off one I've had a white Astra van for 12 years now , but even if the money is put into it, what will be next?
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

My boss has decided that he now wants to repair this van, does anyone know of a good source of recon M32 gearboxes? I'm guessing mine is not going to be suitable to exchange?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suppose any scrapper with a similar aged Astra or Zafira.
It sounds like you will get to keep the van afterall.
Woohoo.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:03 pm I suppose any scrapper with a similar aged Astra or Zafira.
It sounds like you will get to keep the van afterall.
Woohoo.
With the labour costs involved i darent take a box out a scrapper, as I know only too well you can have a seemingly decent box deteriate very quickly ,it was only earlier in the year the only symptom with mine was a notchiness going fast into 3rd when hot after a long run, and now no drive.
Its going to have to be a recon box.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Well this has turned into a weird one. When the garage took a look in day light, even though the gearbox is still very ill, (noisy and needing to be double declutched to get into 2nd and 3rd, )what caused the total loss of drive was actually a c.v joint failing with no warning and no symptoms.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Not as bleak as it could have been.
Still life in the Astra yet.

Hopefully you will find a decent gearbox, or a good transmission company to fix it for you.

My fingers are crossed for your little jalopy.