Toyota Yaris 1.3 CDX (2002).

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Toyota Yaris 1.3 CDX (2002).

Post by 3cav3 »

Try spraying silicone spray on the belt, if you haven't got that then flash dash type stuff is the same, just with fragrance.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If you have belt squeal, then that implies slippage.
In my opinion silicone spray is a lubricant, so great on bearings, but a big no no for a slipping belt.

Personally I would use Belt Dressing such as by Rocol.
It is made for that exact purpose.

If the belt is slipping already, before the car gets properly "winter cold", then I think even belt dressing would not be enough.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

My understanding was that belt dressing was basically a silicone spray, perhaps I was wrong but have used it for years. Also when I've had a slipping belt I've also roughened the surfaces of the pulleys with emery paper to improve the grip.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

From the Rocol website...

ROCOL BELT DRESSING Spray has metal detectable plastic components (aerosol caps and actuators) capable of detection by most metal detection equipment. Excellent temperature resistance -50°C to +100°C.

BELT DRESSING Spray extends belt life and transmission efficiency by conditioning belts to prevent drying out, cracking and ultimately breakage.
Thin adhesive film increases adhesion when the belts are in contact with drive pulleys, reducing belt slippage which causes glazing, overheating and drying out.

BELT DRESSING Spray is equally effective in damp or wet environments as in dry and clean conditions due to its insolubility in water. Blue spray nozzle for easy identification as a foodsafe product.

And from Google -

LPS Belt Dressing is an industrial product designed to reduce slippage and extend the life of rubber belting.

It contains isohexane and a mixture of propane and isobutane which are very flammable, and if handled improperly can be dangerous.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Cheers, I'll see if I can get it to tension a bit better, the mk1 yaris has a pretty poor belt tension system sadly, basically lever and tighten.
New alternator, new belt so it's not getting any new parts. I might see if I can retrofit the mk2 tensioner onto the mk1 as that's adjustable. Shall see. If that belt stuff is what you use that'll be good to have on the shelf too I suspect :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index