Vauxhall Senator

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

Re: Vauxhall Senator

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:40 am Looking good. Got admit out the corner of my eye it looks a bit like one of those American police cars, particularly with the two tone colour scheme.
Your primer seems to be holding up well. When I was working under a sheet, I used to have a lot of issues with rain creeping underneath, even now in the winter months my canopy suffers badly with condensation at times, and thus some repairs had started rusting again.
I did have a big sheet over the back to cover it against rain getting in, but that can be a curse or a blessing sometimes, but it seemed to work pretty well; also got a full weather cover over the whole car for good measure. I don't see any signs of rot creeping in where the welds are, only rust is leading edge of back panel, which probably had some surface rust anyway. Just gave it a quick rub down and reseal. Yes the 2 pack primer is way better at keeping rot at bay, especially if you are priming but not yet at the paint stage. I see what you mean about the 2 tone US cop car colour scheme, maybe it could be a bit of a blues mobile!
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Been a while since I got some work done on this beast what with the weather being sooo poor this Year so far and my other competing priorities. I had managed to get a cut off section or sections from a place in Germany that seems to amongst other things, cut old opels up with stihl saws so I managed to get the bulkhead side panel section for the N/S in 2 parts and then re-model it a bit to fit my own repair needs. There is a complete repair panel for the bulkhead side panel but I could not find the N/S one anywhere, but I do have the O/S one. I bought it a good few years ago thinking why would I need that lol, seems I was right to buy it as it's given me a sort of template/checker for the N/S repair. and a panel for the O/S should I decide to replace that side as well.

The top section I got is basically the bit round where the bonnet mount onto the inner wing then goes down the side of the inner wing with a section of the inner wing next to the strut tower and a bit that has the hole for the wiring loom that goes through bulkhead. I did make a complete repair panel for the front of the floor pan that stretched right up to the top of the bulkhead including a hole drilled for the loom hole, but the panel I got had the proper loom hole in it so I'd prefer to use that.

The other panel I got was the bit below this that runs down the side of the inner wing/bulkhead area to the iner sill front end. I'm pretty sure it was from the same car they cut up so it kind of slots up against the other panel but I did use the inner wing strengthening plate section off the top panel to make a little template for the drain hole section. I drilled the spot welds out and removed this section as I have a compeletly new inner wing strengthening plate anyway.

This section is like a jigsaw but having these two cut off panels mean't I could recreate that section and just add a few small repair sections in. As per ususal I never got any snaps of the work yesterday but will try and get that or a wee video showing it all coming together.

Cheers

Andy
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Yayy - fettling time has begun!! :D

I am hopeful for a decent spring and summer this year, although April has not been very good so far.

I am looking forward to seeing more pictures of your beastie as it starts to come back together.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Excellent stuff. Look forward to seeing the progress.
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index