The Wife's Vectra-C - The other battle wagon

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I could have sworn that I had done a topic on "the other car".

I bought the wife's Vectra-C in September 2005 as another early Christmas present.

It is a 1.9 CDTi 150 16 valve dirty diesel.
Bought at 6 months old with 9000 miles on the clock.

That specific engine is considered the worst and most problematic on the Vectra-C, closely followed by the 2.2 engine.

Being a March 2005 car, it is one of the run-out pre-facelift vehicles, but fitted with the "full CAN" electronics / modules configuration.

The trim level is an "Energy" which means it has the energy blue paint, with mostly low spec parts and one or two higher spec "design" features.

Being the wife's car, I do not mess too much with it.
I wouldn't dare... :shock:

So here is a picture of the old girl.

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

That is quite an old image, which I can tell as there are no retro-fitted front foglights on it.

Modifications over the years have been,

Retro-fitted front fogs, fitted the old skool way via a relay, before I learned all about OpCom programming.

OpCom has allowed me to retro-enable a few functions like board computer, steering wheel controls and check control

I converted the basic CD30 cd player and pixelly Triple Info Display to CD70 sat nav radio, first with a monochrome graphic display

and later with colour info display.
(Here is a CD70 and CID fitted to my Cavalier)

I also converted my steering wheel to accept scroller radio controls. It had none before then.

A year or so ago, the wife wanted a touch screen radio fitted, so she now has an Eonon unit fitted. Sadly it is a WinCE version not Android.

I converted the basic centre console to the "Hi Line" centre armrest with rear charge socket.

This year has seen the fitting of a new hatch loom after the original developed several snapped wires where it passes between the hatch and the body.

Amazing how both cars needed new / repaired hatch looms.

Atmospheric lighting in the footwells.

And only last week I fitted a reversing camera.
The wife loves gadgets and toys.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

In the first post I mentioned the bad reputation of the 16 valve 1.9 diesel engine.

To be honest, there isn't much going for the Vectra-C.
I can think of only a few plus points.
1 - Overall it has a comfortable cabin.
2 - It is moderately reliable.
3 - It goes like stink when you mash your foot onto the noisey pedal.
4 - They do not rust quickly.

Down sides?
1 - Not particularly exciting or pretty to look at.
2 - It has suffered all the recognised faults including broken road springs, failed number 3 injector plug, detached swirl valve actuator linkage, an endless loop of CANbus related spanner lights (diagnostic trouble codes) due to congested data networks getting confused.

Currently our vectra has a noisy dual mass flywheel.
It will cost twice as much as the car is worth to replace the flywheel and clutch.
If I time the replacement wrong - the flywheel could be ejected through the bell-housing, scrapping the gearbox if not sorted in time :shock:

But - despite all that, it is far more reliable than the Cavalier, which is almost twice as old as the Vectra.

And it served me well doing 38,000 miles in two years without missing a beat whilst the Cavalier was being restored between July 2015 and March 2017.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Jobs still to do?

The wife fancies projector puddle lights,
and reversing beeper with distance display.

I have the parts to fit: -
1 - The factory front fog lights and loom.
2 - Auto Lights, Chromatic Dimming Mirror.
3 - Auto wipers rain sensor and roof ribbon cable.

I would prefer to leave well alone whilst it ain't broke - :no although she has waited a few years already. :oops:

I tend to do these jobs whilst she is away , but she has not been away without me for about 11 years.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Made me smile when I saw this listing in the latest posts bit.
Comes across a little different.....

….. that's the type of pet-name you vow to always keep in your head :lol: , or is that just me :scratch
Robsey wrote:A year or so ago, the wife wanted a touch screen radio fitted, so she now has an Eonon unit fitted. Sadly it is a WinCE version not Android.
I bought the winCE version of mine because it was the most popular and forty pounds cheaper than the Android version. Who'd have thought google maps would become so popular? Not me, cost nearly £40 more when those fine people at customs intervened anyway :wall .
I'm not familiar with eonon but I'm assuming your misgivings are because of the gps.
Mine uses winCE 6, Igo primo software. Updates are available from auction sites pretty easily, I bought new maps with igo interface a couple of months ago. Q1. 2018. Expect to pay around £15-£20 - they're not all the same, read everything!
There's an option to use the maps with the old skin. I may do that, new version doesn't even show speed, how am I supposed to appease these damn average-speed cameras :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Title edited - although I did point out the error of my ways to the missus.
She wasn't chuffed at first, but she realised that it was not intentional - lol

The Igo Primo software in her radio is the HGV / LGV version, and it gets quite confused about which destination was last inputted.
Often sending me in the opposite direction to where I actually want to go.

I have stopped using Igo altogether preferring instead to use Google Maps on my Android phones.

As long as I use the correct size Micro SD cards or USB memory sticks (nothing bigger than 16Gb.) then it all works fine.

Yes this is Win CE 6.
It does what she wants it to do, so that is all fine.

I am sure she will probably want the DAB / DVB add on unit next... :roll:

It is weird being able to watch dvd's, mp5s and jpegs on the radio display.

(Apparently the Android version can access board computer and time setting functions on the car's main display - on Win CE it cannot).
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote:The Igo Primo software in her radio is the HGV / LGV version, and it gets quite confused about which destination was last inputted.
Often sending me in the opposite direction to where I actually want to go.
Funny you should say that. On a recent trip to a place I had saved in favourites and selected, the satnav kept trying to take me backwards. Luckily I knew some of the route and worked out something was wrong :scratch
Turns out I hadn't set it as new destination at the very last stage. I just viewed map- my mistake, so It kept trying to take me back to the last completed trip, i.e. home :roll:
Set as new destination solved the problem :D . It's not a bad system
Robsey wrote:I have stopped using Igo altogether preferring instead to use Google Maps on my Android phones..
Google Maps is better but igo is competent enough
Robsey wrote:As long as I use the correct size Micro SD cards or USB memory sticks (nothing bigger than 16Gb.) then it all works fine..
Updated version requires 8Gb card but there's a lot that could be trimmed, countries etc.
My micro sd card of choice is SanDisk, ultra or extreme. I always use class 10 cards for satnav and dashcam. So fast and never a problem!
Robsey wrote:It is weird being able to watch dvd's, mp5s and jpegs on the radio display.
When I'm waiting on the missus I usually stick on a video album ( to her credit I've never completed one ) :)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: The Wife's Vectra-C - The other battle wagon

Post by Robsey »

After liaising with ilovedmymantas via pm, I came to realise a few issues with the Igo software were due to me, and not the software.

I initially found the beeping camera warnings quite annoying, but after a fair bit of settings changing, I am now much happier.
I realised that I was probably using it wrong too. Programming in new destinations is a bit quirky, but okay once I had altered my methodology from that used on many other sat nav units.

I had no issues today with the CD player, Igo map and reversing camera all working perfectly at the same time.

For some reason the Eonon unit calls the CD player a DVD player.

Check out the "Chinese" interpretation of a CD... For people who have no memories of vinyl records, this will look odd. Ha ha.

The last change was to change the camera view from "Normal" to "Rear View Mirror" mode. Reversing looks odd in "Normal" mode as we are all usedto using the mirrors for our view behind us.

So again, Many thanks for the unexpected tutorial.
It is much appreciated.

And for the observant, the car display is 7 hrs and 5 mins fast.
I need to get my OpCom out again to set the time again.

That is a unique issue faced by using a non-android aftermarket head-unit, you cannot set the "Car" clock without an external programmer.

The Eonon clock is correct.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Happy I could help. :D

I learned more about doing things with the program, so I've gained too :)

It can still be a little quirky at times but I don't mind that, I'm always up for a mystery detour, It sometimes produces little surprises :lol:

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The Vectra had the quickest repair ever.
For a month or so, the passenger door window "up" button has been playing up on the passenger door switch panel.

Last time I used brake cleaner to clean the contact faces of the tactile buttons of the switches.

But I could not find my spray this time.
So I used Mr Muscle grime remover spray instead.

It took longer to get the switch panel out of the interior door handle than it took to split apart, clean and reassemble the switch assembly.

Popped back to the car.
Plugged in, ignition on and we appear to have full service.
Excellent - I love quick and free fixes.
All in - about 5 minutes.
:thumb
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Nice easy fix, always a pleasure when that happens!

Maybe i should start a WIP for my Mum's 2008 Corsa...
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I would say "why not?".
I am sure though, that the Corsa is nowhere near as needy as a Cavalier.

Just for good measure, the Vectra decided to blow a couple of bulbs.
The rear off-side number plate light and the off-side dipped beam.

The number plate light, I can live with as it is the original bulb from the Russelheim factory in 2005. So pretty good going.

Disappointingly, the dipped bulb is a six month old Osram Night Breaker. :wall
I have had much longer out of cheap and tacky bulbs, so a pukka brand like Osram is a total shock.
Luckily, I should still have some standard GE bulbs in my shed. :roll:

Looks like more fun ahead taking out the air-intake / filter housing to get to the rear of the cluster.
Oh joy!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Robsey wrote:I would say "why not?".
I am sure though, that the Corsa is nowhere near as needy as a Cavalier.
Yes it wouldn't be much of a work in progress.
It was bought brand new and kept in a garage ever since. It's only covered 34,000 miles and never had any work done.
It's been serviced at Vauxhall religiously every year, I think it's had new front tyres and an air-con re-gas and that is it!

It is a frightful bore to drive through. Completely numb experience, nothing like driving a Cav. :thumb
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am afraid that 95% of these modern plastic crates are boring to drive.

I suppose that is the trade-off for modern mechanical reliability.
Except when these modern heaps go awol, it is usually an expensive sensor or even more expensive module failure / confusion.

The Vectra is no exception - very comfy and reliable to drive, but the ongoing spanner lights and dash warning symbols are a total pain.
My OpCom / Vauxcom has saved me hundreds of pounds chasing random trouble codes, or clearing confused modules.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Just for good measure, sod's law says that the wife's Vectra-C would take the proverbial.

Just in time for Christmas, both rear hatch struts have died.
Crikey!! I didn't realise how heavy the hatch was.
I ain't no two stone weakling, but it is a two handed lift even for me.

Not particularly helpful when trying to load and unload the wife's electric wheelchair from the car, which is also heavy enough to need two hands to lift.

I have to use a golf umbrella to prop the hatch in the half up position, whilst I grapple with the chair and it's two full size batteries.

I could do with a 25cm (10") longer umbrella to open the hatch fully.
The joys...

Merry Chuffin Christmas - ha ha.!!

:roll:

UPDATE 28-12-2018.
Tail-gate struts now sorted.
Took all of about 20 seconds per side.
10 year guarantee and a snip at £13.49 the pair including delivery.

So much nicer not needing biceps like Geoff Capes to open the hatch.
Yay...
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Done much to this recently robsey or is all going swimmingly with the Vectra? I like the blue footwell lights, need to install some, and give myself a break from welding and spanner swinging lol!

A guy I don't see too often turned up with a Vectra, but it was a bit of a shed, he was notorious for buying/acquiring motors that needed a lot of work, usually because they were being given away, and for good reason, he asked me too look at a back brake leak and it was coming from a pipe join up above the back subframe. Only way I could see to fixing it was too drop the subframe to get at the pipe. Needless to say i sent him on his merry way!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The Vectra-C is a bit of a weekend warrior, so only really used when taking the wife and her powered chair anywhere.

The load area is huge compared to the Cavalier's. Much more space for a power chair and several shopping bags.

The car has gone past 150,000 miles, but thankfully just keeps plodding on.

It has a noisy dual mass flywheel or something as the engine ticks quite loudly in the clutch area when cold. It has done this for about 30,000 miles so far, and it still quietens down a lot when up to temperature.
We are still on the same clutch as fitted in the factory 14 years ago.

There are niggles, but none are urgent.
Peeling paint on both rear wings adjacent to the flat part of the tailgate.

We also have a few ripples in the rear nearside wing, immediately above the bumper where an Indian girl in Bolton attempted to parallel park and failed.
Sadly I did not see her do it, as we had walked away to the shops just as she was arriving.
Suffice to say, she scarpered without leaving her details.

And I have a slow punture on the rear near-side tyre, which is causing premature wear on the outer edge of the tread.

Up to now (trying not to tempt fate) the car is working perfectly and behaves well.

Due to ferrying the great dane to hydrotherapy every week, the rear seat bench is getting tatty and needs replacing.
Or at least the cover does...

So purely cosmetics that need sorting.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

As for jobs...

I have all the kit for fitting auto-wipers, auto lights and auto chromatic (dimming) interior mirror.
I have had the parts for years, but never got round to fitting them.

The cavalier resto 2015 onward, and the Transporter resto 2011 onward have meant that the Vectra gets left out.

And just for good measure, she wants her Honda CB500 SW restoring next.
It hasn't moved since she smashed her ankle at new year 2007. (She wasn't drunk, she has a balance problem) - lol.

So looks like I will have plenty to do until I retire in 9 years.... not that I am counting. :P
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Well if you thought that I ran the Cavalier into the ground, please give your simpathy to her Vectra.

I have always been guilty of only working on the cars when they break.
A few months ago, I bought a complete fob for both cars.
As the Cavalier is my baby, she got her new fob quite quickly.

I only fitted the Vectra-C fob a couple of days ago.
A lot more plasticcy and stiff compared to the old worn out fob. But nice and shiny / fresh.

Confession time. :oops:
I have been long overdue replacing the rear near-side tyre.
It has had a slow puncture for months, allowing the tyre to deflate dangerously low (to as low as 7 psi) a few times to the point that the outer edge of the tyre was prematurely worn completely bald.

Last night the tyre finally gave up and deflated completely.
I was forced to fit the space saver spare wheel.

Blimey! Could there ever be anything more vile :sick

Today, I got a replacement tyre.
Ahhh that looks so much better.

It is also amazing how much "rumbling" / droning you get from the skinny under-size space saver compared to the full size wheels / tyres.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I've often questioned how safe the space saver tyre is, particularly on the front. I know it says to reduce your speed but how often do you see them on with the car still being driven flat out?
My wife's little panda doesn't have a space saver but an emergency use only tyre as a spare. The tread is made up of the letter P!!! And boy doesn't it rumble like you said. I had a puncture in the car when in North Wales on a bank holiday weekend so had to drive nearly 200 miles back on it. Since then all my cars have been fitted with a full size spare as in every case the wheel well is large enough. Having said that when many years ago I purchased an almost new Rover 45 it didn't even have a spare, just a massive tyre shaped piece of polestyrne in the wheel well with a tiny can of tyre weld in the centre of it. No jack or wheel brace either!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Not wanting to miss out on the fun, the Vectra also needed some attention.

For months we have had an issue with the gear knob springing off the end of the gear lever.

I have tried gluing it on, but to no avail.

Today I finally wrapped some pvc tape around the splines. - I didn't think ptfe tape was thick enough.
And bashed the knob onto the lever with a few firm thumps.

Fingers crossed.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Okay - the Vectra is proving it's relationship to the Cavalier. (The grand-child). :wall

Yesterday the engine light came on, and point-blank refused to go off.

I knew immediately what the problem would be.
That damn EGR valve will be full of soot and seized up.

Thankfully, on this engine it is a piece of cake to remove and clean.

One electrical connector, four 6mm bolts and two 8 mm bolts - and it is off.

Here is the sooted up valve.

Twenty minutes of cleaning out the soot, working the solenoid and valve shaft free from being seized in their bores,
and re-assemble and refit.

Job done.

Took the Vectra to the supermarket and back - 2 mile round trip.
And the engine light is still on, but everything is working spot on.
And no ill effects on consumption.

My OpCom / Vauxcom was playing silly buggers and decided after twenty minutes that it could not see any of the high speed network modules, including the ECM.
Therefore I was unable to clear the engine malfunction light.

A nice simple mechanical fix.
I do like simple hands-on jobs like this. :)
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Being the usual 'Robsey' drama,

Sod's law kicked in, :roll:
and despite a good run out to Leeds and back on Saturday, the Vectra spat it's dummy out on Thursday when I was due to take Ebony the Great Dane for hydrotherapy. :grommit

The battery was all but flat... :wall

How odd, I didn't think the battery and alternator were that old. :scratch

Fully charged the battery through Thursday night for a full 24 hours.
Went to the Motorcycle Live event at the Birmingham NEC on Saturday (yesterday), and the car was happy again.
And now no engine light - yayy.
:D

To finish off the tale, Ebony went to hydro in my car... :grommit

And I am sure someone will ask, but I had not left anything on to flatten the battery when I was doing my diagnostics last week. In fact the engine was running and charging.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I'm not trying to look on the negative side but don't be totally surprised if your battery doesn't have long in this world. My Jag hadn't been right for a while, and had a low battery a couple of times.
After leaving it parked for a week, the battery was totally dead to the point it wouldn't even jump start.
This was a Bosh heavy duty battery fitted new only last November. Since fitting a Vartra heavy duty I've had no problems of any sort, the car is running better and curisoly indicating an extra 2mpg.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I suspect you could be right...

These modern CAN controlled vehicles are very vulnerable when voltages drop below 13.5 volts - they suffer lots of modules going to sleep leading to losses of communication.

Amazingly another issue that I had a week or so ago. :roll: