Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:41 pm Its coming together nicely.
Thankyou, even though it still seems a never ending task in some ways, at least now that most of the panels are refitted it doesnt feel quite so daunting.

Today this Bedford accessory brochure came my way. It wasnt very expensive, and I find things like this fasinating. For example a Cigarette Lighter and analoge clock were offered as extras! The only downside is i'm now on the look out for all the genuine items, such as the Toolkit and Fire extinguishers, maybe one day they may turn up on ebay or at Autojumbles.

Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

Nice! I love those kind of brochures, glad to feel its less daunting, You'll get it finished, probably sooner than you think :)
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

The bedford rascal, oh the memories of seeing those pootling about back in the 90s. Nice find some original brochures always nice for a wee bit of nostalgia!

That van on the front cover was also a mazda van, if I remember right and rascal was used by quite a few jap manufacturers too.
Envoy CDX
Club Admin

Post by Envoy CDX »

cavalier1990 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:31 am The bedford rascal, oh the memories of seeing those pootling about back in the 90s. Nice find some original brochures always nice for a wee bit of nostalgia!

That van on the front cover was also a mazda van, if I remember right and rascal was used by quite a few jap manufacturers too.
Suzuki also did a Bedford based van if I recall
Check the Rules!

Raw 8v Power! - Bad Cav, Naughty Cav... Cav want's to do 90!

The How2 Index
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:53 am Nice! I love those kind of brochures, glad to feel its less daunting, You'll get it finished, probably sooner than you think :)
I do have quite a large collection of brochures for these vans, which i am putting copies of onto a display board. Theres still a long way to go with the project but at least I can now see a very dim and distant light at the end of the tunnel.
Envoy CDX wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:57 am
cavalier1990 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:31 am The bedford rascal, oh the memories of seeing those pootling about back in the 90s. Nice find some original brochures always nice for a wee bit of nostalgia!

Suzuki also did a Bedford based van if I recall
Ive never seen a Mazda badged one, but it wouldnt suprise me. I know there was A Subaru Sumo one that could alo be had in 4x4 guise.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I only had a couple of spare hours this morning so i decided to rub down, Etch Prime then Epoxy prime the top half of the side Panels on the Van.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Over the past few weeks it seems that all ive done is aquire tyres for this Van. I dont know if youre aware but 13" rims are really uncommon in this day and age. When I passed my test 17" was seen as massive to the point it would almost guarantee your car would be featured in the likes of Max Power Magazine! These days im lead to belive that even Corsas come with them Factory Fitted. So anyway with tyres i'm very limited for choice, plus they tend to be very expensive.

The first set came off my wifes Panda when I scrapped it, only 3 are worth fitting but they are all new within the last year or so. Even though the stud pattern looks the same they are a few mm out, so will need swapping over.

The second set was kindly donated to me for my favourite price - Free.
The history behind them is when we first went onto the industrial estate where I work,in 2000, the chap in the next unit had an old White Astra Van 1.3 on a C plate. I remember that he used it for a few years with the black paint getting higher up the sides every Mot, where he had to patch it. Anyway when he scrapped it, he kept the almost new tyres, but now realised that he would never have another vechicle to fit them to, sent them my way. I cant make my mind wether to use them or not, I know the rubber is old, but it shows no sign of cracking and the Van is unlikely to ever go over 50mph. What would you do, as the tread seems almost new?

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

If the rubber is 20-odd years old, I would not risk it.
I think 6 or 7 years is about the limit for a safe working life-span.

You could put them on during storage,
and save the best tyres (in a cool dark place) for when you are using or showing the van.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

You've basically confirmed my thoughts. Particularly after this morning when I've had a closer look and they say Kingpin retread, that takes me back to when I first started driving and I used to fit exactly the same make to my first car when I was a skint student, they used to cost £17.50 fitted from memory but I think a combination of 20 year old rubber combined with how remoulds can seperate, even though it grieves me to throw away such good tread could be asking for an accident to happen.
Still at least I've now got about 8 spare rims for this van. Ill probably select the best 5 and have them blasted, then keep my ears out for an offer on new tyres this size.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Indeed -

I am always on the hunt for a bargain, and free is my favourite price.
But not if it makes the car unsafe.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Another job ticked off the list is the wiper and indicator stalks. Althougth I had new for both it appears that the Astra Mk2 uses at least 2 different wipers ones so I had to resort to simply cleaning the original up and replacing just the indicator one. Only a small job but at least its a bit of progress.

cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:23 pm If the rubber is 20-odd years old, I would not risk it.
I think 6 or 7 years is about the limit for a safe working life-span.

You could put them on during storage,
and save the best tyres (in a cool dark place) for when you are using or showing the van.
Makes you think about those spare tyres lying in the boot for 20 Years, both my Omegas seem to have their original unused spare tyres they look immaculate but the tyres are no doubt past their sell by date.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Managed to pick up a couple of trinkets for this project cheap this week.
Firstly was this approved service tools book for Bedfords of the period.

Secondly was this set of Dealer Service Stickers.

I hope the glue on the back is still ok, otherwise I'll see if my mate can copy them in vinal.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I think you need your own Vauxhall museum.
All these funky flash-backs to yesteryear.

It will look like the entrance of a dealership parts counter that used to be near me twenty years ago.

Glass cabinets with toy cars, touch-up pens, and other sales memorabilia.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:33 am I think you need your own Vauxhall museum.
All these funky flash-backs to yesteryear.

It will look like the entrance of a dealership parts counter that used to be near me twenty years ago.

Glass cabinets with toy cars, touch-up pens, and other sales memorabilia.
Maybe one day, lol. Probably one of the few good things about the Internet and ebay is items like this would be likely to end up in the bin without it. One of the main draw backs to the Internet in general though is that the future generation of classics won't have memorabilia as it is all online and will almost certainly of long been deleted by dealers way before the modern Electric Plastic Boxes become collectible.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Heres a few of my brochures colour copied and put onto a display board.

And here is a board with the money used in 1988 - the year of this van, (I'm missing the £50 note at the moment,can anyone help please?) all the main stamps from 1988 including the Christmas ones, and phone cards which took off before mobile phones got popular.

If viewing on a PC in the middle is also included some costs from that year-quite scary!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Another period item that Ive come across when digging my display boards out is this old Motorola Car Phone. Its a bit grubby and could badly do with a clean but looks complete. Weighs a ton aswell.

ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

What a varied collection :thumb

I'd completely forgotten phone cards, I think they used to be collectable. That car phone looks like a house phone, I can't imagine a family car it wouldn't look out of place in :scratch .

I only started driving in 1987, i think i got the best years, no lez's or anpr for example.
It's amazing how cheap petrol was back then though it didn't seem it at the time.
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

ilovedmymantas wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:34 am
I only started driving in 1987, i think i got the best years, no lez's or anpr for example.
It's amazing how cheap petrol was back then though it didn't seem it at the time.
When I passed my test in 1997 4star petrol was usually 52.9p a litre and I wouldn't buy it if it was over 54.9p.

The other thing I preferred was speed cameras were a rare thing, usually only in accident Black spots. Also most cars were free from much electronics, so you didn't need a laptop just to open the bonnet. Happy days.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

In preperation for rubbing down and priming the roof, i started lifting the windscreen seal up, then was going to slide some lawnmower starter cord in the gap so i could mask the rubber up. Here suprise-suprise, I discovered a small bit of rust! What else would you expect with this van?

So rather than ignore it I thought I'd have a go at removing the screen. Nearly every window fitter I spoke to said Ive more chnce of winning the lottery twice than getting it out in one piece,being a bonded screen. I thought if I used the proper kit and went very steady I might succeed.

It was all going so well until I got to the first corner, at least Ive got a brand new one in stock, but I did really want to keep it for a spare.

Heres just some of the corrosion

And heres the new screen.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Heres the van with screen out, wire brushed and treated in rust killer. For a change it appears to only be surface rust rather than actual rot. In some ways I'm very annoyed about the screen breaking, but at least it means i can fit a shinny new one.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ohhh that is a bugger.

I have never tried a bonded screen.
I have done a few of the rubber-seal mounted screens single-handedly using a thin chord and washing-up liquid / Swarfega for lubrication.

I have to remove the screen on my van as I know that both bottom corners will be perforared due to corrosion.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:26 pm Ohhh that is a bugger.

I have never tried a bonded screen.
I have done a few of the rubber-seal mounted screens single-handedly using a thin chord and washing-up liquid / Swarfega for lubrication.

I have to remove the screen on my van as I know that both bottom corners will be perforared due to corrosion.
Taking out a bonded screen is not a job that I'll ever go looking for again, I've taken out the rubber seal mounted ones and put back in a few times with no real issues. But this one was a horrible job.

At present I've got a supply of new screens but until my wife is back in work, the thick part of 200quid is a big no,no. I want ideally to get another one whilst I still can to keep as a spare in store. I'm just thankful that I'd already got it as otherwise it could be a bit of a bugger.

Good luck with your vans screen, if its the rubber mount type I'm sure it'll come out easy enough. I had to replace both bottom corners on the one on my Subaru years ago, managed to even leave the dash in with the careful use of a fire blanket.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Windscreen surround, etch primed and then epoxyeed.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Next, I turned my attention to the roof. This took hours as theres so many knooks and cranys, plus there was hundreds of stone chips and scratches in the paint.