Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

After wanting one for a long time, this example turned up on ebay.
3cav3

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by 3cav3 »

Its one of the best that ive seen for a long time, however a lot of work is going to be needed, mainly welding.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Wow ... ain’t seen one for ages.

Brings back lots of memories.

It does need some work, like all the cars of the time.

Looking forward to the updates!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Mazza wrote:Wow ... ain’t seen one for ages.

Brings back lots of memories.

It does need some work, like all the cars of the time.

Looking forward to the updates!
I don't think there is many left now. The thing that attracted me to this van is how straight and honest it looked. I purchased it off the original driver, it was his van from day one but had been put into his dad's name originally . Got to admit that after the complexity of my mk5 Astra van I'm really digging how simplictic this one is. Going to pop the rear bumper off tomorrow to see how bad the rear valance is then slowly work my way from one end to the other. The Diesel engine is definitely staying(all 1.6 non turbo of it) but I'm ideally looking for some higher spec seats etc. also needs a door lock( got screwdrivered over twenty five years ago- apparently). I think the worst rot is in the near side sill. I could also do with a better front bumper if anyone can help please?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Loving it!!
Can't beat these old gems.

Something to be said for the basic 80s interior.
Awesome.
Always used to amaze me how low the floor is. No apparent prop-shaft / exhaust tunnel.

Looking forward to seeing this take shape.
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

Lovely old vehicles,as you say so simple compared to more moderns, good luck with the project!
Miss my Estate, it was a 1.3 Auto, did over 80k in it and sold it for more than I bought it, guy who had it came down from Birmingham (to Southend) to pick it up but strange thing is it's never been Mot'd since?

Alan
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks for the vote of good luck. I think I'm going to need it. I've just pulled the rear bumper off and although it's not as bad as i feared it's a long way from good. It seems the outer edges of this van has really suffered yet most of the rest is unbelievably solid. By the time it's finished I should be an expert welder-lol. Only really have done mot type patches previously.Photos to follow tonight when Im back at the PC.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Rear Bumper removed. Note Bethany my 13 year old Labrador photo bombing the shot!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

The first of many plates!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Bottom of Offside rear quarter panel.

Compared to Nearside
Still will need some repair though.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Guess I will have to get used to sweeping up parts of the body, lol.

At least the spare wheel well is rock solid.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Wow. You like a challenge!
From Mot patches to bodywork it is a bit of a learning curve :scratch .
I'm sure you'll do a good job though, probably with the belt'n'braces approach I used to use to try and improve the design weaknesses
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:Wow. You like a challenge!
From Mot patches to bodywork is a is a bit of a learning curve :scratch .
I'm sure you'll do a good job though, probably with the belt'n'braces approach I used to use to try and improve the design weaknesses
At first glance it does look a bit daunting but I'm one of those people that belives in if you want to learn how to do something then have a go. To be honest this part of the project does concern me a little, particularly as there appears to be no repair panels available for the valance and rear quarter panels for vans( unless anyone knows different). As its under the bumper then I will aim to get it close to original but if it's slightly different I won't be to concerned so long as it's strong. I will also be attempting to remove some of the obvious rust traps that Vauxhall built into these vans. Once I get paid I'll be ordering up a set of wheel arches and sills
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Does this look right?

https://www.carz2.co.uk/vauxhallopel-ka ... 8205-p.asp

Not too stupidly expensive.
What I will say about Carz2 and Klokkerholme parts, is that the parts are usually very well made, but you are reliant on the dutch supplier to remember to send out the delivery.
I ordered both chassis legs for the Cav in 2016. One took a month longer to arrive than the other.

But if you are not in a desperate rush, you could work on another part of the car whilst you wait for the klokkerholme part to arrive.

Appologies that doesn't look right.
But I will keep searching for you.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Does this look right?

Not too stupidly expensive.
What I will say about Carz2 and Klokkerholme parts, is that the parts are usually very well made, but you are reliant on the dutch supplier to remember to send out the delivery.
I ordered both chassis legs for the Cav in 2016. One took a month longer to arrive than the other.

But if you are not in a desperate rush, you could work on another part of the car whilst you wait for the klokkerholme part to arrive.

Appologies that doesn't look right.
But I will keep searching for you.
Thanks for that, I had already seen the panel, but unfortunately it looks too different to adapt as its off the car, but it is appreciated that you mentioned it.
Today I popped into my mates and borrowed his metal folder and raided his scrap bin and came up with these as repair pieces. Probably not quite the same as original but hopefully shouldn't look to out of place once welded. The first one I made I folded the bottom lip backwards, opps, but at least it was only on a scrap offcut.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Today, I braved opening up the off side sill. All I can say is Oh Dear! Someone has been in there before and not done a good job. Complete sill covers have been welded in place over the rot! Why do that? If youre going to only cover the grot then why not just stuff the holes full of Newspaper and bollock filler over the top?
This is the point where Ive had to decide to bite the bullet and order up new complete sills, new outer arches and new inner arches. I wasn't kidding myself that this would be a quick 5 minute job, but i'm a bit shocked at just how much repair is going to be needed!
After fitting a rear seat Conversion to my Mk5 Astra Van, I always vowed i'd never take on the job again, however this would lead to making things very akward with my son, so as the rear floor extension/bulkhead needs really to come out to allow proper access to the welding required I've decided that I'm going to remove it and look around for some seats, does anyone know of any other Vauxhall seats in leather that will fit in the mk2 Shell? I will keep the bulkhead etc so it can be put back to standard at a later date.
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

You’ll be surprised at the amount of work needed, most often one job leads to 2, to 4 to 8...

I’ve seen a fair few Astra gte front leathers - most times guys I know just swapped over the bases
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

According to ecat, the seat rails that bolt to thefloor, also fit the Vectra-A / Cavalier mk3.

Who would have thought that.????
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:According to ecat, the seat rails that bolt to thefloor, also fit the Vectra-A / Cavalier mk3.

Who would have thought that.????
Thanks for the info, it's worth knowing. What I'm particularly looking for though is easy obtainable seats that will fit in the back of a standard Astra floor pan. With my mk5 I , after having the awful rear seat conversion in there for a few months( because it's designed to collapse into the floor, it's like traveling on a plank) I fitted some bargain half leather seats out of a Astra hatch, but there doesn't seem to be many rear mk2 seats available anymore so was looking for alternatives.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Ah okay...
I got a little confusticated.
Between your mentions of "E"s and "5"s.

Okay officially Astra 2 / Kadett E rear seats are not compatible with any other model.

As said Astra 2 / Kadett E front seat mounts are thesame as Cavalier 3 / Vectra A.

So for Astra 5 / Astra H...
The rear seat "frame" and cushions only fit the Astra 5 / H.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote:Ah okay...
I got a little confusticated.
Between your mentions of "E"s and "5"s.

Okay officially Astra 2 / Kadett E rear seats are not compatible with any other model.

As said Astra 2 / Kadett E front seat mounts are thesame as Cavalier 3 / Vectra A.

So for Astra 5 / Astra H...
The rear seat "frame" and cushions only fit the Astra 5 / H.
Ok thanks, guess I'll have a long search then for some Astra rear seats. Don't tend to see many in breakers yards any more lol.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

This morning before work I cut the floor extension/rear bulkhead out. Unlike the later vans it looks like Vauxhall just caught hold of a 3 door estate body shell and had someone just tack weld the extension in place as the welds are in very random places. Once out I tried the seat swab out of my other van in place and with some slight adaptation it will fit so it now means I can keep my eyes open for some cheap high spec seats out of a later Astra.
Now it's out I can see the full extent of the floor pan rust. For safety I'm going to remove the fuel tank as even though it's diesel I will be welding right on top of it. I will have to try and remember my camera and get some photos.
Over time I will also try and source some period alloys( I always thought that Momo Arrows used to really suit the Astra in its day). Every modification that I do will have to be kept easily reversible as after looking on how many left these Bedfords are now very very rare.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Had a bit of luck last night, managed to find some repair panels for the bottom of the rear quarter panels for a 3 door estate so have orders them. Have carried on with the strip down. Bit of a mixed bag really. Some places are a lot better than expected and some a lot worse. Definatley need 2 new wings . It was to dark for photos tonight once I'd finished. One question that I've got is how do you remove the bitumen type sound deadening off the floor pan?
Mazza

Post by Mazza »

Couple of suggestions... but the best being use dry freeze spray can and good rubber head hammer - you’ll need approx 2-3 cans for full car

Spray small area and whack it with the hammer - don’t over do it as you’ll leave a dent.

It should crack and break apart - peal off extra