Bedford Astravan MK2

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
cavalier1990

Re: Bedford Astravan MK2

Post by cavalier1990 »

That Phillips radio code sticker is certainly a blast from the past! Used to see them on just about every other car. Looks like things progressing nicely, you've certainly got more motivation to do things this time of Year than I have, think it's been about a Month or more since I even done anything worthwhile on the car!
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

cavalier1990 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:02 pm That Phillips radio code sticker is certainly a blast from the past! Used to see them on just about every other car. Looks like things progressing nicely, you've certainly got more motivation to do things this time of Year than I have, think it's been about a Month or more since I even done anything worthwhile on the car!
I'm really struggling with motivation at the moment. Not helped by a combination of the bad weather and a bad back. I'm trying to push myself to go each weekend to get the panels ready for the warmer weather so I can get them in top coat , which I'm determined is going to happen this year.

All I managed to do this morning was to get the door rubbed down ready for the coat of high build primer out of the gun.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Over Christmas I spotted a new genuine rear wiper motor so bought it. I still love receiving things in original packaging. I have also fitted the new front wiper blades, and end caps, however the supplier for some reason sent the rear blade to fit a mk2 Zafria?!?

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

As always over Christmas I have a good hunt for items for the Van. This year there wasn't much out there, but I did manage to buy a job lot of 23 fuel filters, all bar 2 are genuine.

Another little trinket that I found was these 3 period Auto windscreenstax disc holders. I seem to remember my Grandads Astra having one back in the day after a windscreen replacement. They were cheap so I thought why not?

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

With all those disc holders,
Will you be getting a retro dated tax disc to go with it?

They used to do loads on fleabay many moons ago.

Looks like you have more than a life-time's worth of filters there.
You could afford to change the filter every quarter, nevermind annually. :)
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:45 pm With all those disc holders,
Will you be getting a retro dated tax disc to go with it?

They used to do loads on fleabay many moons ago.

Looks like you have more than a life-time's worth of filters there.
You could afford to change the filter every quarter, nevermind annually. :)
I purchased a couple of retro tax discs a few years back, plus if I can find it I've got a cd rom somewhere that allows me to do my own, however with how cheap they are on ebay its not really worth printing them yourself.

With the fuel filters I've now got enough with the ones already in my cupboard to do a yearly change for as long as I'm likely to carry on driving. I've also got enough oil filters to do a 3k oil change as per the original manual stated on the diesel engine. Just could do with a few more air filters. I'm sure they will turn up over the years though.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

On Monday my pattern new wing arrived, having been ordered on the 27th December! Who knows where it had been since then, I'm guessing it was the usual case of an ebay seller simply not bothering to send it!

There is a couple of minor dings in it despite being brand new.
I was hoping it might fit better than the previous one having been manufactured by a different firm, however looking round it I'm not holding out much hope. The edge where it touches the scuttle is about 7mm different from the genuine one, I will have to see how it fits on the weekend, and maybe I'll have to add a bit more metal in, to get it to fit.

Genuine;

Pattern;

Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Probably be a Klokkerholme panel.
Same part, but different seller.

It is all practice for when you roll out your next project - tee hee :P
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I was hoping with the lack of indicator and ariel hole it was from at least a different pressing, the bottom edge where it meets the sill is definitely slightly different to the previous pattern wing.

In reference to what you say about my next project, you know what you can do... This will definitely be my last ever restoration project, some parts ive enjoyed, however it feels like its never going to end. I dread to think how many hours I've already spent working on it. Even if I charged myself minimum wage I bet I could of bought a brand new van twice over. Working outside for some of the time and the rest under a canopy has definitely not helped the time scale, but you have to make the most of the facilities that you've got. Whereas it won't be cheap in terms of parts, doing it the way I have, I.e looking out over a period of years for mainly N.O.S has helped keep the budget sensible. I can see now the projected final cost being £4-£5k, with todays market that would only really buy you a banger of a van from a dealer.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Spotted this, I know its a petrol but have you seen the price estimate? This example is the very base model with blanked clock, radio , and vinyl seats and floor covering. Plus there's no heated rear screen or wash wipe.
https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lo ... 6&pn=3&g=1.
If the value is correct then it would appear the prices of these vans is finally on the up.
cavalier1990

Post by cavalier1990 »

3cav3 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:21 pm Spotted this, I know its a petrol but have you seen the price estimate? This example is the very base model with blanked clock, radio , and vinyl seats and floor covering. Plus there's no heated rear screen or wash wipe.
https://www.mathewsons.co.uk/auction/lo ... 6&pn=3&g=1.
If the value is correct then it would appear the prices of these vans is finally on the up.
I suppose like any van back in the day most of them were worked into the ground and very little of them have survived to this day. I'd agree the price of these and the cavys of that era are starting to creep up in price, for good ones at least. That one looks not too bad with a sporty twist having looks like GTE wheels, but the bumper could do with a bit of back to black, then again that might be part of the appeal to give it a streak of workhorse look about it!
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The early bumpers were always prone to fading to a pale shade of grey.

The best treatment to darken them, was a gentle controlled blow-over with a hot air gun.
I had a D plate Cav mk2 - it's bumpers responded well to heat treatment.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:57 pm The early bumpers were always prone to fading to a pale shade of grey.

The best treatment to darken them, was a gentle controlled blow-over with a hot air gun.
I had a D plate Cav mk2 - it's bumpers responded well to heat treatment.
I tried the hot air gun originally on my bumpers but, sadly it didn't work, although have had good results with this method in the past.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Have had an absolute nightmare fitting the wing to the van. Still if anybody wants to know how you remove and refit a mk2 Astra front wing then ask me as I must be the world expert now the amount of times that I've had it on and off to try and get it to fit!
After an awful lot of adjustment including welding where it meets the windscreen, plus cutting and bending various edges I have now got it to fit reasonably well.

3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

In the second picture the bonnet gap looks a little wide, this will be adjusted once I fit the Near side wing back on, but a lot of it is down to a trick of the camera.

The next job is going to be drilling the indicator and ariel hole once my blacksmith drill bits arrive as there isn't enough strength in the panel to support using the mag drill again like I did on the tailgate.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I presume you are making masking tape templates to get the correct positions of the side-repeater holes.

Like you do for making up repair panels to match holes cut into the body to remove rusty bits.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Robsey wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:55 pm I presume you are making masking tape templates to get the correct positions of the side-repeater holes.

Like you do for making up repair panels to match holes cut into the body to remove rusty bits.
Personally ill just be accurately measuring the centre of the holes and after centre bopping ill then be carefully drilling them.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I am sure there are specific locations on TIS (Technical Info System).

I can have a look later this evening for you.
(It is more interesting than watching the wife's usual piffle on tv.).

UPDATE -
There is info for installing both manual and powered aerials.

But nothing for the side repeaters...
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks, are you able to post the ariel data please?
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Do you want it emailing in pdf format?

Manual rod aerial, or powered, or both ?

Or I can get some screen shots and post up here.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Its a manual rod, nothing but low spec on this van lol. The lw/mw
radio was an optional extra when new. Screen shot would be the best if you don't mind as I struggle to get pdfs to open.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I hope you can make sense of it :)
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

That looks fascinating, thankyou. I never imagined them being so elaborate over just fitting the ariel. Hopefully in the next few days the wing will be drilled and primed up. Then after a lot more prep I can see the top coat will hopefully be applied finally this year.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Here you go on the rubber bonnet stops.

Part numbers are -
Front Rubber Stop - 90 054 143 - two needed

Side Rubber Bushes - 90 043 251 - two needed

Scuttle Seal - 90 181 625 - two needed.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Thanks once again. Its 2 of item 4 that I need, tried using your part numbers in the usual places, do you happen to know if the same items are used on the Cavalier?