Jaguar 2.2D SE Auto.

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
3cav3

Re: Jaguar 2.2D SE Auto.

Post by 3cav3 »

btcctroy wrote:you just need to keep an eye on the sills as i've repaired a couple
At the moment the sills are fine, last mot I was a bit worried as it picked up an advisory on corrosion on the inner sill, however when I jacked it up to look I could see it was just surface rust so was wire brushed, treated in kurust, etch primmed and undersealed. This test no mention.
Before I purchased the car I researched about the sill rust as it does keep cropping up on forums etc, apparently the worst affected cars were 2006 and earlier, after which the drain holes were re routed.
ilovedmymantas wrote:Congratulations on the pass.

Banger territory - never! Modern classic surely?
If you've got a 20k budget you'll be able to keep it and the cav going for ages! :D

-
I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually put £20k into a car, lol, I'd be to worried about parking it anywhere. In reality all my spare cash over the next few years is going to be ploughed into my house instead, so I can eventually get a better property before I shoot all my neighbors with their selfish, inconsiderate parking,and their unreasonable noise at night when it suits them.
Modern classic is I suppose one take on it. I think I'll keep it going until it develops an expensive fault, then re evaluate the situation. Despite the miles it's a really comfortable drive. I can see why when new people paid the extra for a Jag rather than the Mondeo that it shares the chassis and engine with.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Just passed its 3rd mot without too much needing. One of the best buys I've ever had, only £1600 and have probably spent less than £600 in maintenance over the 3 years. Very happy. However due to the ongoing high tax and insurance costs, plus being aware of the fact that with almost 200k on the clock that it can't last forever I'm seriously considering getting rid of this next year and just sharing a car with my wife so one lot of insurance and tax to find instead of 2, plus something that doesn't drink like Oliver Reed, if I'm careful i might get low 30's out of this,which is eye watering for a diesel.
The only problem is since lockdown the price of second hand cars has sky rocketed. Time will tell what I decide. I will miss the Jag and its luxury, also concerned that it might be very hard to sell, a lot of idiots paying sub £1000 for a £30k when new car still expect it to be showroom,but its just too good to scrap.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

I have just been offered the chance of trading this up for a XJ 2.7 twin turbo diesel. Its the same age but half the miles. Has anyone any experience of these, particularly the engine e which I believe is the same as fitted to the Land Rover Discovery of this era?
Its a fair bit more money but looks an awful lot of car.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Today the old girl rolled over 200k, and by coincidence today I agreed a deal to trade it in for a newer much lower mileage car.
Due to the ongoing fuel costs I didn't go for the xj jag but instead something a little bit more economical. (Hopefully).
I will upload some photos when I get it back tomorrow. Any guesses as to what it is? Its another diesel automatic but this time a "little" 2.0 ltr.
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Hard to say with a 2.0 litre diesel.
It is a common size across many makes.

Hopefully not a Vauxhall with an early A20 DT (H or M) engine. There are lots of horror stories of crankshafts snatching their bearing shells.

I wouldn't know what to get next... I don't really like any of the modern cars.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Nope definitely not vauxhall. As a clue its got more than 4 cylinders. When viewing it i spent ages looking for the dipstick, gave up and asked the dealer, apparently newer cars don't have a dip stick anymore, its displayed instead on the dash by the computer. Surely that's just over complicating things for the sake of it?
I'm with you on most modern cars, this is the only one I fancied, (apart from the jag),and when I say modern its actually an 11 plate, so not that new but way ahead of the technology on my 61 plate astra van though.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Yes, deleting the simple functional dipstick and replacing it with an electronic gauge must be one of the stupidist things that modern car designers have done. For a start, when you change the oil you can't tell when you've added enough without first starting the engine, then stopping it to reset the gauge so you can read the oil level. A dipstick is also completely immune to failure, while an electronic gauge is not. I suspect the car manufacturers have done this becuase they don't want to suggest that their customers need to do anything "oily", like using the dipstick
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Sadly there are numpties out there.
So preventing numpties from messing is often a deciding factor for manufacturers.

The lady next door to me once filled the engine with oil until it was level with the filler cap.

The mind boggles.
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Got to admit i feel its just a manufacturer over complicating things for the sake of it.
I got the car home OK, its just due to the dealer not properly preparing the car, there's an engine mount that really needs replacing and a very minor oil leak on the filter housing. After a bit of twoing and froing he has agreed to pay for the work, however I can't get a garage to fit me in for weeks, so will have to do the jobs myself. He did suggest originally that I should return the car to him to sort , however its nearly a 6 hour round trip. Annoying really after spending the best part of £9k on the car!
Meant to add its a nearly immaculate Volvo C70 D3 auto with only 63k on the clock, and 11 stamps in the book. I had a mk1 a few years ago but this is a mk2 with the folding hard top.Still haven't managed to get any photos yet.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

As an old fart I feel compelled to say it's too modern and big for me (and I don't get convertibles :scratch ).
That said, you seem to have bought a decent car with good fuel consumption according to honest john:
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/volvo/c70/
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/volvo/c70-2010/d3

A worn engine mount sounds a bit premature on such a low mileage car but at least it doesn't seem to be a common problem. I hope you're at least being reimbursed for the parts?
Have you checked the recalls for problems? https://www.autoinsider.co.uk/recalls/volvo/c70

Whatever you're driving put as many miles on as you can afford in fuel and take advantage of the better weather aka 'climate change', the gov is out to get us off the road :cry
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
3cav3

Post by 3cav3 »

Like you i thought it was a bit soon to suffer with an engine mount, however a bit of research through the forums does say uts not that uncommon for the top one to go particularly on the diesel autos as apparently it puts a lot of strain on it.
The dealer has said he will reimburse me for the cost of the parts, Checking through the history both service and mot it appears genuine milage and there's almost no wear anywhere.
The previous owners had the car since it was just over 6mths old, spent a fortune having it serviced by volvo and used to carry the plate 222SE so looks hopefully a good car, I.e looked after text book, as they had the money to do so.
The JAG was a lovely car but was starting to get very tired, I strongly suspect there was some big bills on the horizon, plus in the real world it was only doing around 32mpg , not bad for a big auto, but even a few extra mpg will help with the way costs have gone.