LED headlights

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Mk3alan

LED headlights

Post by Mk3alan »

Took my daily MK4 Astra Estate for MOT today.
About 3 years ago I replaced the H7 dipped beam halogen bulbs for led's bought from bettercarlighting. These gave a great spread of crisp light especially noticeable in wet conditions, they needed adjustment for beam height and horizontal position so are not totally plug and play. The 'bulbs are also able to be rotated for best aim/focus.
New MOT regs now make led headlights on post 1988 vehicles that are not original equipment an automatic fail so I was expecting - a fail, but the tester was once again happy with beam alignment and it seems used that rare commodity, common sense.
I had the impression that this new ruling has been brought about by the public not realising that they need setting up properly.

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: LED headlights

Post by Robsey »

The ruling isn't that new.
But the original ruling covers ALL types of bulbs.

We all know that this rule affected HID bulb installations a few years ago.

But the general wording implies that a vehicle must use the same type and rating of bulbs that it would have left the factory with for all positioning / navigation lights.

So if HID projector lights were an option from the factory then you could retro fit them.
But if they were only available as an aftermarket upgrade, then they would automatically fail the MOT.

Earlier MOTs (at the time that the Astra-G was built) would not have included terms like HIDs and LEDs because they simply did not exist in that context.

Everything was more or less tungsten filament bulbs.
I don't even recall "halogen" being mentioned back then.

Good news on the pass by the way.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Same issue wuth the calibra, the standard lights are poor, and HID light give a perfect pattern on the tests, but deemed illegal, meaning you need to live with unsafe standard lights. Not great on a car capable of 160mph.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

vexorg wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:27 pm Same issue wuth the calibra, the startard lights are poor, and HID light give a perfect pattern on the tests, but deemed illegal, meaning you need to live with unsafe standard lights. Not great on a car capable of 160mph.
The best remedy for standard Cavalier and Calibra headlamps is to fit better bulbs.
Other light units like Angel Eyes and Morrettes do not illuminate the road any better.
Generic no-name bulbs give dire output and often last about two minutes.

Ring and GE are standard output, but last pretty well.

For me, I have found that "Night Breakers" give a far superior output whilst still remaining 100% road legal.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

The issue is the wiring, it uses one connection bulbs and needs to bulb base to body connection to be good.

I've tested a few poor light cars and the weakness is aleays the earth/body side of the bulb.

Ideally a 2 pin bulb would be better, same as why the HID are so good.
David
thomas

Post by thomas »

I tried 'advanced' type bulbs from Osram and Philips on the bike. Nightvision or Nightbreaker or something, I've forgotten which I used, but it has been in there more than ten years, been dropped, crashed, regularly bounces along forest logging roads, etc. and that same plucky little bulb is still going strong.

Was such a big improvement that I had to fit them to the previous Cav and did with this one too

I'd go with them for least fuss improvement.

The Viva is tungsten pre-focus only, halogens would fry the silvering off the metal headlamp bowls.
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

thomas wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:16 am I tried 'advanced' type bulbs from Osram and Philips on the bike. Nightvision or Nightbreaker or something, I've forgotten which I used.
I presume Osram Nightbreakers.
They were the bulbs used by most enthusiasts a good ten years or so ago.

I haven't tried the newer Philips bulbs, so I have no idea how well they fair.
Although anything would be an improvement over stock bulbs.
thomas

Post by thomas »

I suppose I'm technically non-compliant too, as on car and bike I have 10W halogen front pilot/sidelamp bulbs, they're excellent, had to change the bulbholders on the car from push-fit capless to bayonet fitting.
They make good daytime running lights for the car, but for the bike, it's headlamps on all the time when moving, nowadays, day or night. I still greatly prefer night-time driving/riding to day-time.

It would be a bit much to ask people to downgrade when it's all set up fine.

I still can't recall what is on the bike, either the Osram, or the Philips which was something "Extreme Vision II" or similar. Thought they would be bright but wouldn't last, been surprised they're still going strong. Tempting fate aren't I.
It's a recommendation for one or the other of them. Very scientific. Osrams are on the Cavalier definitely.

Bought the Thatcham Cav Mk3 book from some chancer on ebay. :wave

Work on the cars is resuming, after a bump on the road. Cav takes priority though, it must but the Viva work is back on too. :D
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

thomas wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:40 am
Bought the Thatcham Cav Mk3 book from some chancer on ebay. :wave
Judging by my emails this morning, it appears that I am that chancer - lol.
:lol:
To be honest, selling by ebay is rubbish. High fees, and rediculous rules.
But - it appears easier to sell there than via various forums, so needs must.

Good news on the Viva :)
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I gave up selling on ebay some time ago
David
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

I'm not happy with eBay either, I think they will gradually drive their customers away.

Alan
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Robsey wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:00 pmThe best remedy for standard Cavalier and Calibra headlamps is to fit better bulbs.
Other light units like Angel Eyes and Morrettes do not illuminate the road any better.
Generic no-name bulbs give dire output and often last about two minutes.

Ring and GE are standard output, but last pretty well.

For me, I have found that "Night Breakers" give a far superior output whilst still remaining 100% road legal.
I was so disappointed with the legal standard lighting on cavs ( compared to the mantas, 100W dipped! ) that I considered a dodgy upgrade
- bought all the gubbins ( heavier wire, inline fuse, ceramic bulb holders & tesa tape to blend it all ), turned out to be a waste of time :roll:

After researching for a temporary measure, I fitted Osram night breakers to my 'new cav' six years ago, not expecting them to last long because of their brighter burning and driving on potholed and cobbled streets. How wrong was I? They're much better than standard and six years later later they're still going strong.
...I think i'll stick with them for now :D
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I haven't sold on ebay for a while, though it's coming...

I'm undecided about the cost. Have you seen what real auction houses charge?
Where I am 20- 25% plus vat is typical so ebay still seems like a good deal at the moment :scratch

I can't be a*sed with gumtree etc :|
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Mk3alan

Post by Mk3alan »

They know they can get away with the fees, some auction houses charge 17% - Plus VAT!!!

Alan
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Apologies - we appear to have gone way off topic.
Oops :)