Vauxhall Insignias in Ireland

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
chrisp

Vauxhall Insignias in Ireland

Post by chrisp »

I'm currently in the Republic of Ireland and have noticed the large numbers of Insignias on the road here - many more than in the UK and more like the number of Cavaliers on UK's roads when they were current.
Interesting point though - most of the Insignias are badged Opel rather than Vauxhall, even though all are right hand drive. I hadn't realised that Opel now built any cars with right hand drive - I thought these all would be badged Vauxhall.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Robsey
Club Admin

Re: Vauxhall Insignias in Ireland

Post by Robsey »

As you have found, it is only the UK that carries the Vauxhall brand.
Ireland has always had Opel as their primary GM brand.
Same as mainland Europe, the middle east and far east.

Oddly though, I could be wrong, but my head tells me that the Cavalier was still called Cavalier in Ireland despite being an Opel.
But Vectra in all other Opel regions.

I never particularly cared for the Insignia, don't know why, but it never floated my boat. Probably the latest incarnation is the best looking variant. Best of a bad bunch perhaps.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I think they went after the corporate/business look too much. The insignia just says dull to me.
In china the insignia goes under the buick badge, and even more dull with the funny big grill.

Ford and vauxhall seem to have lost their way with the mondeo and insignia in cetral scotland, I just dont see many on the road compared to the smaller cars.
David
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

The Mondeo is no more in Ford's eyes.
Only the Chinese will get the new Mondeo.
Mondeo sales dropped with the surge in EcoSport and Kuga 4x4 / SUV vehicles.

My last look at cars was for a car capable of taking an electric wheelchair.
Only two cars fitted the bill at the time. (Circa 2015)
A Rav4 and a Peugeot 3008.
Nothing else, including the big Volvo XCs had a boot space that could be considered usable / practical.

Wife wanted a Rav 4 for the self opening and closing electric hatch. But she always was a gadget queen.

With modern load spaces being eaten up for battery storage, I don't see future Peugeot inpired Vauxhalls getting any better from a practical stand-point.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Robsey wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:03 pm As you have found, it is only the UK that carries the Vauxhall brand.
Ireland has always had Opel as their primary GM brand.
Same as mainland Europe, the middle east and far east.

Oddly though, I could be wrong, but my head tells me that the Cavalier was still called Cavalier in Ireland despite being an Opel.
But Vectra in all other Opel regions.

I never particularly cared for the Insignia, don't know why, but it never floated my boat. Probably the latest incarnation is the best looking variant. Best of a bad bunch perhaps.
I've also never much enthused over the Insignia, despite it being the natural successor to the Cavalier. However, seeing so many on the roads in Ireland, I've grown to quite like it and it certainly looks better than all the SUV types of vehicles (both small and large) that now have taken over the roads. It's also a hatchback and thus has better load space than the BMWs, Audis and Mercs that now dominate the largish saloon car market. As well as Ford discontinuing the Mondeo in Europe, I hear that the Insignia is also going to be discontinued. So, if you want a largish saloon, BMW, Audi or Merc are pretty much your only choices. Another reason to keep our Cavaliers going!
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Choice will be very limited.

German Saloons BMW, Mercedes, and VW / Audi / Skoda / Seat / Cupra.

And French or Japanese anything else.
They are all the same anyway.

Not forgetting Vauxhall / Opel will cease production of the internal combustion engine by the end of 2028.

And prepare for more previously unheard-of brands like Pole Star (Volvo collaboration), Genesis (new Korean brand) and lord knows any further companies jumping on the electric car band-wagon.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I'm not sure what car I would choose now if given the choice of any car.
David