Tom's 1999 Suzuki GS500EX

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
thomas

Post by thomas »

Continuing from the 1.8LSi thread...

Older image, the painting of the barrels, in March, from 'My Little 1.8LSi' thread:

thomas wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:47 pm Found myself doing bike stuff and had cause to coat a plastic mudguard with plastic-primer...

thomas wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm
with the New Year celebrations likely to start winding down up here, sometime soon I expect ...

amidst sundry dark-doings
finally got around to some bike stuff

top and bottom, the barrels got the heat-resistant paint scraped off the fins, just because, looks more something, better
Bike stuff today.

The issue was the blue forks, too long a saga, though in the picture below they look silver-ish already, think they were Peugeot Moonstone Blue.
Stripped through numerous layers of paint, all of which I remember applying, back to bare ally and on with etch-primer and later more primer.
Watched by and watching, most of the afternoon, two deer/fawns lolling on the edge of the hay in the field. Mostly seen there early in the morning.

:raindeer
--
Cav 1994 1.8LSi 5-dr Jungle Green Pearl: Daily. :D
thomas

Post by thomas »

Forks in silver, looks much better, tried to capture both forks and possibly some deer again, but they didn't show.
--
thomas

Post by thomas »

As with bare metal, filler, primer or still wet paint, you don't want to have the guts of an engine apart in the pouring rain.

Working on the bike is much less stressful than with the car, perhaps because it's less essential than a car. It is though a continuous process, you're thinking ahead to the next thing needing doing after the present work. Next year, the front-brake master-cylinder seals and front and rear brake hoses will be renewed, simply as a matter of course due to age.

I had to get on with the barrels/pistons swap on the bike, prevarication and fickle weather aside.

Would have had to have had an oil and filter change anyway, so that was done first, but haven't yet re-filled with oil, as might end up taking the sump off if I drop a shim or something down the cam-chain tunnel.

Doing it in reverse so when it comes to fit the barrels, can then proceed immediately to putting it all back together. So will service carbs, then the head will get valves lightly ground, and new stem-seals, later a shim or two might be needed to get the valve-clearances set.

Ah, the 'simplicity' of carbs, they're sort of like Rubik's Cubes, with a touch of Ker-Plunk, Buckaroo and Ludo.

I'm also making a note to self to try keep to a voluntary rev-limit of 9K afterwards, though the actual red-line is 13.5K, which just encourages you to take it there, to see if it will blow up if it goes that high or even higher, it hasn't yet, despite trying, but it is a bit sore on the barrels and rings.

The Cavalier will get some love soon, needs a right good vacuum-ing out, but otherwise basks in the sun.

Updated 04.08.2022.

Having just started on the bike, needed a break from it. Pain, fatigue, general world-weariness, a backlog of domestic drudgery, and a localised shortage of Mini Melton-Mowbray Pies, kept me busy instead.

Had two different sets of carb service kits, per carb, so could pick and choose the bits I wanted from each set. Also some extra/unknown bits and some for later models. Kept the original Suzuki Jet Needles (male), as the replacements were about 2cm shorter and could lift right out of their orifices, the Needle Jets (that is the nomenclature, however confusing), miss the hole going back down and jam the air-pistons wide open. They also had only one ring for circlip fitting/needle height setting, the originals have five to choose from. Even with the Suzuki Jet Needles at the lowest ring, highest/richest setting, these Jet Needles still cannot lift right out of the Needle Jets and get stuck. But I did use the new Needle Jets, whether they'll be happy matches with the old Suzuki Jet Needles and not the new shorter, rejected ones remains to be seen.

After a rest -some recreation; built the below pictured Deluxe Cardboard-Box-O-Scope, using coloured water, to check the float needle valves shut-off properly, that they don't overflow, are in ballpark height range and that they're equalised, sort-of.

They'll also be balanced/synchronised with engine running too, later.

After a tiny tweak - easy to make now compared with once fitted - they're about even, left and right. :cool

--
thomas

Post by thomas »

Just a few days ago, it looked so nice, look at it now.

It's not normally necessary to cut an engine block almost in half with an angle grinder then split it all the way with a cold-chisel, but sometimes it helps and is all you can do as a last resort, if everything else fails.

After a day of gentle tapping, Plus-Gas down and soaked into the studs, then some less gentle tapping upwards, and finally a lump-hammer, shedding fins left and right, it would not budge. All it was spared was a blowtorch to hopefully expand the alloy more than the steel. :wall

Eventually after driving chisels into angle-grinder cuts on the outside, above the (old) pistons, through to the steel liners, I was able to loosen and then withdraw the liners up and out, but the barrels still remained stuck, due, I was later to find, to just one corroded stud out of eight. Driving the chisel in further both middle bits fortunately cracked apart unexpectedly, and I was able to get one half of the barrels off, with the other half remaining stuck for another couple of hours, of tapping, hammering and waggling.

Good job this bit, along with the pistons and rings are those being replaced.

Knew it was going to be a nightmare job, though nothing like this, which was the worst-case scenario, and then some. If the barrels were to have been preserved, then removing or trying to remove most of, or all of the the studs, earlier, might have helped.

Over the big hurdle now, onwards, upwards. Reassembly is of course simply the reverse of disassembly. Mostly.

Can tackle the head refurb now. Then will be about ready to start putting it all back together.

--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Wow, seeing the skeletal frame of the Suzuki brings back memories of summertime bliss rebuilding the wife's Honda

and there are some nods to parts that I worked on for my Bavarian MZ.

Splitting the cylinder liners and the blocks looks a bit brutal, but needs must, I suppose.

That head stock defies any attempt for me to identify the year of manufacture. The dials look quite dated - old fashioned round analogue gauges - say late 80s or 90s...
but the stock itself and the handle-bar mounts look like modern machined billet aluminium parts.

Probably looks perfectly fine when fully assembled again.

( For people reading this - The title of the topic did not show the Suzuki's age until mid-morning 6/8/22. )
thomas

Post by thomas »

It's all strictly analogue, just a rev-counter, mechanically -cable driven from the exhaust camshaft, and a cable-driven from the front-wheel, speedo. 1999, a T-reg. A GS500E naked, the later GS500F was fully-fared. Clip-on bars are as standard, later UK models post-2001, and US models after 1990 got conventional, higher bars, and a more upright rider-stance.

The GS500E/F was produced from 1989, practically unchanged till dropped in 2015, likely only due to tighter emissions regulations, it still sold well. 26 years. The predecessor 1970s-1980s GS450, GS550 and so on were four-cylinder engined this is the terrible twin. It's the Chevette of the bike world, unloved, there isn't even a uk club or forum anymore.

Spares, entire bikes were plentiful and cheap, but are becoming scarce.
Simple, rugged, heavy-ish due to the steel frame, compensated for, lightened by the absence of water-cooling.

Quicker and better-handling than its budget specification suggest, it'll pass easily round the outside of many bigger-engined bikes cornering, but they'll as easily overhaul it in the straights.
--
thomas

Re: Tom's 1999 Suzuki GS500EX

Post by thomas »

Nice shiny new thread, ta very much. Otherwise it's chaos! :love

The deer picture is a nice illustration of visibility, of conspicuity, of frontal area. The deer facing crossways is like a car in the distance, and that facing head on represents a bike.

It was mainly the two front middle studs stuck to the barrels, the hot exhaust side. All four middle studs are open to the outside for part of their length, exposed to airflow. The inner cylinder walls have hollow air passages right through from front to back, skirting the closed central tunnel, and the liners, hence the middles cracking cleanly so easily with the liners out. Those hotter studs, as they're by the exhaust ports, at the front where exposed also collect, rain, salt, grit, dirt, swarms of flying-ants and stuff and seem to get encrusted, flake and swell up.

A similar problem affects the exposed part of the long horizontal front engine-mounting to frame, bolt, exposed sections of, commonly needing cut each side to remove the engine, and the remains drilled out. Steel bolt/stud in alloy casting joined as one as effectively as if welded together. Sits right next to same glowing exhaust pipes too, to seal its dire fate.

It's not model or manufacturer specific, air or water-cooled, all are similarly prone, rendered unserviceable/scrap, if used.

There are steel to alloy specific anti-seize compounds, not copaslip, which I might consider, as the studs will clean up and still be usable, top/head area threads are mint, bottoms might be too. Studs might well come out now easily and fresh uncorroded outer ones can be put in the vulnerable open front middle positions, but if they resist at all, they're all staying put.

While the pistons/rings/barrels will be fresh, the bottom-end, the valve-gear and timing chain etc. has seen the same 70K hard miles, of wear and of stretch and a cumulative effect of all that means it won't be as sharp, as precisely timed, as quiet, as 'as-new', but near to it. Its drive sprockets too are selected for low-speed control and mid-range acceleration, not ultimate top-speed, so the first of its six gears is a real low-speed crawler, 5th/6th is normal cruising, but it'll top out at a lower maximum than original, factory spec. gearing would.

I'll miss the potential and fortuitous passive inherent traction-control on down-changes the temporarily lowered compression ought to produce.

Examining the old bits. You can see the exposed to the elements bits of the middle, front and rear stud-holes, with the pencil through them. Can also distinguish the cut and chiselled bits from the those that tore apart right down to flange/face. You can also see the air passages that run right through end to end behind the stud holes, the middle ones a bit furry inside. The outside, closed-off ones spotlessly clean.

The new (used) barrels as well as having no visible ridges or wear, have scant carbonisation at the top suggesting just a few hundred miles, ever or since de-coked, and the clean stud-holes, that it has been looked after and rarely used in wet and wintry conditions.

The new (used) barrels as well as having no visible ridges or wear, have scant carbonisation at the top suggesting just a few hundred miles, ever or since de-coked, and the clean stud-holes, that it has been looked after and rarely used in wet and wintry conditions.
--
thomas

Post by thomas »

I had to swap to a newer browser to see the Honda picture, like Hondas, had a couple of nice little tiddler CG125s.

It looks very similar in layout, the CB500. I've even got a screwdriver very much like that one in the picture too, but can't find it. :fight

:)
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

thomas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 pm I had to swap to a newer browser to see the Honda picture, like Hondas....
Not sure why your browser needed updating - I am sure we both use Postimages to host our photos. :scratch

As you said that you like Hondas... :D

Going back a few years, but this is the CB as it was when I had finished servicing and rebuilding it.

And the instrument cluster.

And yup, that mileage is correct.
It hasn't been far.
Mainly under a cover going nowhere since 2006.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

thomas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 pm I had to swap to a newer browser to see the Honda picture, like Hondas, had a couple of nice little tiddler CG125s.

It looks very similar in layout, the CB500. I've even got a screwdriver very much like that one in the picture too, but can't find it. :fight

:)
I'm not seeing your images now unless I right-click the icon and open in new tab. I saw the deer picture before (I want a view like that :love ) but now it's just an image holder like the others - I can still see Robsey's Honda...

There's a difference in the script,( right click image, inspect) the postimages link seems to be missing. Are you maybe posting from other storage rather than postimages - Zen comes up in your pics :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
thomas

Post by thomas »

The issue with the images is all my own, as was using a really old browser with broken https, couldn't see the postimg.cc stuff.

Between barrels and crankcase, there should have been two dowels on the inlet side, but I found only one, in the piece of the barrels that parted first, and it's not to be found left behind in the mating face of the crankcase either, so some-one has been here already, as it must have already been missing.

Obviously wasn't essential. The parts of the liners that extend down into the crankcase assure absolute location, along with the studs. I have two replacements in the new barrels, anyhow. Sure it didn't fall out or fall inside as that side of the casting came away like a lamb, just as the Haynes manual said it all ought too, maybe needing just a 'gentle-tap', once the middle bit cracked, closely observed.

It sort of makes you want to remove the sump, to check it's not there, as luckily there's not yet any oil in there, but probably won't without more cause. The same size dowels are also used between barrels to head joint too.

The head, big inlet valves, small exhausts, unwashed, all my own carbon as it was clean when it went back on last, 2008-ish.
It too has the middle studs part exposed to the outside and cast hollow passages from front to back, and round the spark plugs.

The chambers cleaned up well, gently, valves excepted, with some petrol and a wooden ice-lolly stick.
Valves still in, old spark-plugs too. With care, screwdriver scraped the bottom of the valves themselves.

Exhaust cam journal bearings (top, in picture below) a bit scored.
This possibly resulted from it running for an unknown time, with a cracked journal-cap at top-right.
The cam-box-cover is bolted to the caps and if the cover takes a knock - think sideways fall into pillar or concrete bollard, rocks, crash etc. - it can crack a cam-bearing-cap. It might always have been cracked, before I got it, it came with a corresponding dent on tank.

Cap was replaced, but as they were originally line-bored with the heads and matched to the cams, was a bit of a compromise for replacing all of head, caps, cams, which was considered at the time of discovering it cracked -2008.

Has ran now fourteen years like that, with a random unmatched replacement, so should do happily for a few more yet.

Still to remove, check, clean, lap valves and then should be an easy canter to reassembling it all and the finish.

Have a little left of the black heat-resistant paint, hadn't planned to, but might blow over the head to match.
The silver cam-cover is scabby too, but mostly hidden. Don't have any heat-resistant silver, so might dust it with the same scarce black too, at the same time as and with the head, which'll be easier as it'll simplify masking.

8-)

'night all
--
thomas

Post by thomas »

Just a quickie update.

Main bike task today was cleaning, and especially cleaning up those studs.
They can't be swapped around the middle ones are shorter, as well as the outer ones having annular oil channels. Not disturbing them.

Masked the open crankcase, chain and tensioner blade, rough sanded studs, laying successive layers of tape upon the debris to trap it. Then it could all be peeled away and up, leaving a little more debris at the stud bases, mopped up with tack-rags.

The sump that wasn't coming off, of course came off, to look for the dowel that never was.
Turned engine over by hand several times too incase it had hitched a ride somewhere.
As it never was, it wasn't there.

Will be fitting replacement pistons, will keep the old ones as spares, they might be serviceable again with new rings.

Slow but steady. On the cosmetic side, head will get black, except fin-edges, to match new barrels.
Got some silver heat-resistant paint on its way for the cambox cover.
--
thomas

Post by thomas »

Robsey wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:48 pm
thomas wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:24 pm I had to swap to a newer browser to see the Honda picture, like Hondas....
Not sure why your browser needed updating - I am sure we both use Postimages to host our photos. :scratch

As you said that you like Hondas... :D

Going back a few years, but this is the CB as it was when I had finished servicing and rebuilding it.

And the instrument cluster.

And yup, that mileage is correct.
It hasn't been far.
Mainly under a cover going nowhere since 2006.
It looks really good there. I've had a few part-farings on and flyscreens too, but they never look quite right or as good as the naked look, or as good as the factory-fared, earlier twin round headlamp ones, or the later fared ones. Expensive plastic bits do have the advantage that they protect the engine to some extent. I have the engine-bars to protect the bottom end from the effects of it sliding along the road sideways.

Instruments a bit funky looking. Has a temperature-gauge, unheard of luxury. ;)
Curious what the S warning-lamp might be for -side-stand down maybe? :scratch
--
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

The picture of the top of the head, showing the cam journals, gave me a strange optical illusion, where the journals appeared to me to be convex rather than concave. Once that had happened I couldn't see them correctly without real effort and screwing up my eyes a bit. I guess in real life you'd move you head around a bit to get a slightly different perspective.
1993 Cavalier V6 Auto in Smoke Grey Metallic
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

chrisp wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:32 pm the journals appeared to me to be convex rather than concave. Once that had happened I couldn't see them correctly...
It wasn't just me then?
It baffled my head for a while too.

But I just looked again and it seems fine.

Regarding the "S" light...
Yep - for the side stand.
thomas

Post by thomas »

I notice that too but realised it was just an optical-delusion, and resolved to cut down the caffeine.

Sidestand!
Lucky guess, had me puzzled.
Done away with the side-stand switch and all the interlock neutral, clutch-switch stuff many moons ago. All troublesome, intermittent nuisances.
Might not have done if it had a swanky warning-lamp like that, though it could be re-purposed, like when pointing South, or Soup-ready.

Not much today, the sum total was: fitted the pistons. Suspiciously clean, haven't cleaned them any, just a wipe over with a clean oily rag.
Pistons await barrels, with five different ring-spacings per-piston set and ready.

The barrels await some alloy-to-steel anti-seize (alloy-to-stainless is another stuff again).
Which is only for the inner four studs, the outers being in a tube of oil.
It won't do a lot of good, as the inners are exposed to the outside world for much of their length.
But still, can't hurt, though I hope they never need to come off again, anyhow.

The head awaits. To lap valves. Dust with black HT-paint to match barrels.
Cam-cover: silver HT-Paint.
Between times, cams, shims/valve-clearances.
The sump is back on, new gasket, as I'm adding oil here and there internally. Staying on I hope.

--
thomas

Post by thomas »

Just a roll of photos, today's bike larks.

It wasn't planned but the head got the coat of high-temp satin black to match the barrels.
The rocker-cover, rubber-seal and half-moons masking the innards.
There was a bit less than about 1/4 of a 500ml can left, wish I hadn't given it laldy, so much with the earlier barrel painting.
Didn't do as before letting it dry, for months as it turned out, and sanding the fin-edges, creating lots of dust.
Instead, it was a run round with rag wetted with thinners while it was still tacky.
Could skimp a bit other than with the most seen bits, wind carried some off too.

Cover isn't needed for a time yet.
Will try paint stripper on it but think it's powder-coated, will sand and clean up, paint silver h-t as best as possible, as too with its pan-head bolt tops.

I fully expect this all to bubble up horribly on starting the engine, or be peeling/flaking before a year is out.

While that dried, with silver coloured anti-seize (and silver h-t paint having arrived) --on with the bike itself.

Barrels went on using hose-clips, for jumpers, I mean ring-clamps. Sadistic physio for sore bones/joints, winding them on and off.
They probably weren't necessary, there is a good lead in between liner and pistons, and they could probably have been fed in by hand.
Bit of a juggling act however it's done.

Clips out and snugly onto dowels, gasket (with non-setting Wellseal on crankcase face and bottom of barrels, for better or worse).

Won't be clamped down till the head is too.
Valves to be lapped, cleaned, and get new stem-seals, careful of the still softish paint on the head.

--
thomas

Post by thomas »

There's bling and then there's bling, I'm not sure if this isn't a bit too much. It's bright.
Fluoro-orange would have been more restrained.
Most of the cover is hidden under the tank fortunately. As it's a bit rough and rushed.
At the same time have a little silver left and could extend it down onto the head to a line at bottom of the cams.
It's too black still, and where bling is concerned enough is never enough

Had to get a pro to get the valves out, my venerable S-P valve compressor couldn't get to these as so deeply recessed.

My nice clean and painted head is now a mess as the dirt and carbon in the ports couldn't be left there.
Inlets cleaning up well, exhausts not so well, but better than they were. Valve guides etc. will need to be spotless after.
Deployed the most fearsome thing after the wooden ice-lolly stick, the sharpened wooden ice-lolly stick!

Also got some 4mm square, 2cm long strong little magnets, for the Cavalier's rubber-strip along the sill.
Better fitting than the others I had, will stick a few into groove on strip with double-sided tape, then to car.
--
thomas

Post by thomas »

Safety-reader eye goggles, correct for in this case encroaching slight long-sightedness, provide magnification, protection.
From bits of burrs, carbon and brass-wire-brush bristles flying off when cleaning with rotating tools.

Cleaned up, lapped valves/seats, coarse then fine, for sealing and for heat-transfer.

Inlet ports cleanish, with a ring of carbon just under the seats I will not even try getting to.
Zorsts like a coal-bunker, at night, with a broken torch, and welding-goggles on. So way better than they were.
Ideal is thought to be clean, roughish inlets for swirl, mixing and for exhausts smoothest unimpeded gas exit.
Bit short of that, exhausts would probably require something to clean them, banned by the Geneva Convention a century ago.
As they should do with ice-lolly sticks too.

More cleaning needed, cloths through valve guides again. Then more cleaning &c.

Ordered super cheap version of super-duper not-Sealey spring-compressor.
If it hasn't come by the time ready to reassemble, early next week, I know a man who can.
Can probably use attachments from new tool/set with the Sykes-Pickavant tool I presently have.

Hope I never need to use one ever again. You're only daft enough to do this sort of thing the once, right?

--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

thomas wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:04 pm
Hope I never need to use one ever again. You're only daft enough to do this sort of thing the once, right?
Probably once per car...
The exception being the C18NZ on the Cavalier when it was under the wife's ownership. She thrashed it a few times blowing the gasket each time, and then I did it all again once more in 2011 as part of an engine overhaul.
The C20NE has so far been much better at keeping it's gaskets intact.
Other than that, I have done a fair few head rebuilds on cars since the mid-nineties.
I always fit new stem seals and re-grind the valve seats whilst the heads are off.

I prefer this sort of stuff to bodywork any day...
thomas

Post by thomas »

Pie situation good. Weather: poor start, a few spots of rain, now and then, brightened before dulling.
A couple of hours working on the bike then, just possible.

The list is mostly things starting with the letter C.
Cylinder-head, cams, done.
Carbs, coils, cam-chain-tensioner, cables, cover, to do.
Plus exhaust, which starts with E.

--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Can't beat a good pie... yum!!

I hope the change in weather has made working outside a lot more pleasant. Not as oppressive..

Looking good, although it looks like that cross-frame tube needs a little touch up.
Speaking from an o.c.d. perspective... even if it will be covered.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Robsey wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:40 pm Can't beat a good pie... yum!!

I hope the change in weather has made working outside a lot more pleasant. Not as oppressive..

Looking good, although it looks like that cross-frame tube needs a little touch up.
Speaking from an o.c.d. perspective... even if it will be covered.
Pies and coffee, the occasional cake/scone keep you going.
Preferred the heat, wasn't bad today. Approaching darkness and fear of midges, stopped play.

The second thing anyone buying one of these does, after holding their head in their hands and muttering "What have I done", over and over, is buy a can of brushable silver smooth Hammerite for touching-in lesser-seen parts of both frame and swingarm.
Being steel, it's a Forth (Rail) Bridge proposition -without end. Other than the swingarm which can be weakened if rot sets in, it's only cosmetic.
I've been silently, almost sub-consciously, touching in parts of the frame about the engine area during this work.
Early man must have had an equivalent of the GS500 frame-touching-in gene, it's a limbic thing.
Getting the head - a tight fit between stud-tops and frame, and then the cam-cover on is a struggle, as it gets higher and wider, they're a tight fit, unavoidably scraping some paint off.

Also been re-wrapping the loom on-the-fly. The wire-loop thing supporting the loom at the front has been there for years and is made from a bit of rubber tube over a piece of the bendy stainless metal-strips you find inside wiper-blades.

Frame and swingarm powder-coating is about £75-ish, starting at the cheapish end, plus some inevitable carriage costs.
It's the stripping down, things broken, fused together, or that will break, get lost, and a few bearings, such as steering-head, swingarm pivot/linkage points, will need to be removed and new fitted afterwards, that scare. Time, storage, organisation.
I dare say plenty have started the process, got so far, as stripped, even to powder-coated frame etc. returned, then the will-sapped, and bike never put back together.

Today only fitted coils, cam-chain tensioner/guides, and the horn which I had taken off for some reason I can't recall.
Work has to pause for a time. All the valve clearances are tight. In part it's a good sign, that the valves are seated fully, better than before. In part it's not as valve-seat recession is an issue with unleaded, even if from the unleaded era, with hardened/harder seats.
Should be 0.03mm to 0.08mm, I aim for 0.05-0.06, better loose than tight. Remedying might tax my meagre collection of shims, might have to send for some. Been turning engine over by hand, to expel excess oil from between shims and buckets, which can affect the apparent clearance.
I can't get a 0.03 feeler-gauge, the minimum, into any of them, so some go/no-go adjustments needed. An expected but unwelcome turn.
--
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

I keep reading this and wondering to myself...
"Do I dare to lift the bike cover after seven years"?
I smell a potential can of worms...

I loved working on my MZ, and her CB just as much.

What makes it more of a pleasant prospect is that most parts are easy to handle - unlike a big heavy car engine or gearbox.
Do I give into temptation and face the mysteries hidden below that cover.?

I am so tempted when the van and two cars seem so unappealing at the moment.
thomas

Post by thomas »

Robsey wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:13 pm I keep reading this and wondering to myself...
"Do I dare to lift the bike cover after seven years"?
I smell a potential can of worms...

I loved working on my MZ, and her CB just as much.

What makes it more of a pleasant prospect is that most parts are easy to handle - unlike a big heavy car engine or gearbox.
Do I give into temptation and face the mysteries hidden below that cover.?

I am so tempted when the van and two cars seem so unappealing at the moment.
Can't advise, it's better gone if it will never see the road again. That is a matter for you/yours.

It doesn't sound good, as it has been so long (how long) unused, tyres, battery and stuff will all be needing replacement.
Something about having all your cans-of-worms in too few baskets.
As is it could be worth from £350 to £750, but I'm no market-watcher and bike prices/worth are volatile. City/central location helps.

Look at prices individual parts, big and small: tank, wheels, engine, farings, ECUs, lamps, forks, rear-shock/springs, swingarms, regulator/rectifiers are making. Bikes often sell for less than the sum of their parts' value. Far from being a money pit, it could be a mint.

I stuck this GS on ebay about seven years ago, starting price £500, running well, looking good in blue, newly MoT'd with two new tyres and new stainless exhaust system, costing more than that, and had no takers, except one enquiry from someone in Dubai, who wanted me to meet them with it at Edinburgh Airport, who might have been entirely genuine, but passed on that. Knowing it was worth two or three times that to the right buyer, decided to keep on keeping it, and re-restore it, better than before, it having arrived about 2006 a complete ruin, and been a labour of love.
Now I wouldn't want to let it go for less than 2K.

You tend to live longer, with less pain, and better off financially without bikes, however some moments, trips on them are epic, intense, even just a local run of 30-40 miles, you'd not rather be anywhere else, doing anything else, but being there in that moment. Cageless. Closest thing to flight without leaving the ground (much). Accidents will happen though, statistically.

It's so intense a physical and emotional experience that all other cares, worries, have to take a back seat it requires 100% of your mind, you have no spare processing capability for anything else from the moment you get on till you dismount. Scanning. You have to put all the everyday concerns outside of you. Can't compromise either on maintenance, there's no such thing as good-enough, with certain systems -brakes, tyres etc.

Back to the immediate, still juggling shims around, and have some ordered from wemoto.
Will fit the carbs and exhaust meantime, when not raining, needed shims will be here in a day or so.
--