My calibra turbo... now hitting 25k

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
m00k

My calibra turbo... now hitting 25k

Post by m00k »

Okies,

I posted up pics of my cav t on ere but had also thought i'd put on pics of my cali which i thinks a bit special...

i was in middle of my cav t rebuild and was runnin around in a mk4 astra sri turbo when i took a notion to change it bout 2 1/2 yrs ago... sold the astra with the intention of buyin an accord type r but i missed out on my friends crackin example and then looked about me again for summat else...

i found a white dtm turbo with 89k which was a model id always wanted, then came across a green turbo completely original bar a recent tow bar for the owners shop mobility cart and then a sony tape HU and cd changer in the boot and also some headlamp protectors and an alarm... mods i could live with!!!

green was putting me off but after some consideration i decided to go for it, sent a deposit and booked flights from belfast... tbh i didnt hold high hopes, i had concerns for clocking etc and intended to drive for 6 months and sell on

got to the airport in belfast at 5am for what i had booked as a direct flight to norwich... flight cancelled, thought to myself this is the disaster thats gonna lead me to see a dose of a car... was redirected by glasgow, then another flight to norwich which meant i would miss the return boat i had booked for home from stranrear!!!

anyhows, landed in norwich walked to the sellers house (thankfully only 5 mins away) which restored some faith in the deal, seen it in the distance and my jaw dropped, took it a drive and it was faultless, didnt even haggle.... i'd talked him down a bit on the phone and figured there was more to save, just handed over the cash!!! not a dent or ding in the bodywork... he had been completely honest in that there was about 4 stone chips which had been coloured in....

now the car had been bought by the sellers father in law as his retirement present to himself brand new in 1995 and when i picked it up in march 2008 it had 21k on it...

wi being facelift it doesnt have the tubby spoiler or the original tubby rims but the 16inch 5 spoke items... i had a spare set of tubby rims at home to put on, also an exhaust system and dump valve, but on gettin it home i couldnt bring myself to mod it and decided i was gonna keep it and just retain its condition and sort the few things that had been changed over time....

Spec...

1995 Calibra turbo
2.0 litre C20LET turbo
6 speed
4x4
Air con
Leccy windows and sunroof
Full mint cream lether interior
Heated front seats

i'll fire up pics from when when i got it home to present...

m00k

Re: My calibra turbo... now hitting 25k

Post by m00k »

i needed new plates and decided on metro but imo they ruined the oriingal look of the car

m00k

Post by m00k »

within deciding to keep the cali and also having the cav i knew i had a choice to make...

couldnt afford to run a cav t and cali t together so wi cali being low miles and cav having been off road near 3 years already for rebuild i decided cali wud park up and i would buy a run about...

so hada prep the cali for storage

m00k

Post by m00k »

my dad had built an awesome garage at my grans old house 90miles away and it was beggin to be filled...

so...

it got put away for a year altho got a regular visit to start and brief runs to keep everything tickin over and brakes turnin over etc
m00k

Post by m00k »

a brief mention in total vaux was a pleasant suprise

and then nipped down to give it a welcome polish up and fit my new velour mat set

wanna get down sometime and get stuck into the engine bay properly aswell!!

m00k

Post by m00k »

total vaux then got in touch... talk of a feature for cav and cali together so i got it insured, taxed and mot'd and set about cleaning it properly for shoot...

removed the dud metro plates and also the tow bar, also sourced an original head unit and removed the head lamp protectors

washed and dried

plastics and rubbers masked off

then was machined using red/yellow megs pads wi menzerna polishes, 2 coats of red moose glaze and 2 coats of 50/50 wax

some folk will be pleased to see i took the tow bar off aswell

m00k

Post by m00k »

and finally interior with the original HU back in altho i need a fookin code for it

m00k

Post by m00k »

after trouble with a mk3 astra gsi after power washing the engine bay yrs ago i dont trust myself so left it with a friend to do cav and cali engine bays

m00k

Post by m00k »

tv came over and i took some pics of my one then steve kindly let me take one with my own camera and his lights but cannot wait to see his proper results

then some wi the photographers lights in use altho mine are a bit sloppy...

m00k

Post by m00k »

small touch but the rear lenses were grubby for no. plate lights

quick order for 2 new ones and bingo....

and latest is she;s tucked up for winter hibernation again in luxury of an air chamber

planning to hybrid the turbo on the cav over winter, all new roose hoses recon and lock tranny box wi mike hayward and new phase 2 eds chips so i dunno if i'll bother bringing it out next summer or not... could make an appearance for billing 2012 perhaps :P
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

makes me want to take the two calibras my neighbour is selling and build one decent one out of them. stunning, although the pics of it next to the cavalier don't do it any favours; the calibra is stunning but the cavalier is uber-stunning ;)
m00k

Post by m00k »

dude the cav is my toy... i've owned it from 2004 and spent a small fortune on it but i have to be honest and say the calibra is the better of the 2...

thus why its gettin the air chamber to live in lol

altho i'm keepin eye out for a carcoon or chamber for the cav for winter aswell
TurboSteven77

Post by TurboSteven77 »

both cars look stunning mate need more of cavalier thou as i love burgandy 1s :love
marcia

Post by marcia »

Both your cars are absolutely amazing,well done,thanks for showing them.
William
PRESENT CAR;1995(N) Vauxhall Cavalier GLS, 2.0 litre, 16 Valve Automatic in Smoke Grey.
Owned since August 2006
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

steven77 wrote:both cars look stunning mate need more of cavalier thou as i love burgandy 1s :love
check mark's cavalier thread here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1544 8-)
VauxhallGirl

Post by VauxhallGirl »

Stunning Calibra! :) A lovely example in showroom condition. So she deserves the air chamber to keep her free of our killer damp conditions.
Dieselicious

Post by Dieselicious »

More mint than a Trebor minty thing! 8-)
From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter
Some day I intend reading it
'95 TD LS
'85 Monza GSE
'92 Senator 12v Auto
'99 Omega 3.0 MV6
'99 Omega 3.0 MV6 (Ex-Polizei)
loopylees69

Post by loopylees69 »

both motors look amazing, av never seen two cars as shiny!!

am gona ask a daft question but wot type of polisher are you usin? an the type of polish
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Like those dials lite up are they standard ?
m00k

Post by m00k »

thanks guys... the polisher is just the meguires g220, bit more time consuming than other polishers but i'd rather take the time and not risk burning thru paint etc... its pretty fool safe!!!

polish wise i've only ever used the menzerna products, i've found them quite good for correction and very easy to use

A few ppl have asked about the dials on other forums and yes theyre standard items, they just look white during the day but looked quite smart in the evening, completely different to the setup used in my se8 i used to have and it was 98 so not sure when/why vaux changed them
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

Its in next months total Vauxhall. A stunning pair of cars well done.
m00k

Post by m00k »

yeah cant wait to get hands on a copy for a nosy at the pics
Colorado

Post by Colorado »

dont blame you. i have never seen a Calibra that good. And the cavalier Turbo pure magic in satin red
m00k

Post by m00k »

getting excited now.... next months total vaux :D

cavagsi

Post by cavagsi »

just read the feature on these two motor's in the latest total vauxhall mag(in fact have it here at the side of me just to check they where your's lol)

must say two awsome examples of early 90's vaux's
both cars look like they just rolled out the showroom(god i get so jelous :lol: )

Andy