My Sri estate XP

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
vauxtillidie

Re: My Sri estate XP

Post by vauxtillidie »

The flywheels are quite pricey too, hope its back on the road soon for you
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

costs so for are £760 for the gearbox, £73 for new bolts and oil from vauxhall, £460 for flywheel and clutch kit (inc csc)

= a big bill.

From now on im going to change the gear oil every year. Should help keep it working longer.

Greig
1993 Cavalier SRi C20XE (off road till better weather comes)
Astra SRi XP 150 estate 1.9 (the run around)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Since I still had the car in a pile of bits. I have gutted out the main cat now.

This is the main cat.

This is what came out of it.

I now have the replacement flywheel and clutch on the engine. Tomorrow Ill get the box back on the engine.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Well on thursaday night I managed to get the gearbox bolted back on to the engine.My mate was ment to help, but by the time he came round I had lifitted it on by myself. On Friday nothing happened as I didnt get back from work till 9pm ish. Saturday I was working and not back till 3pm ish, So I got on with getting the bits and bobs put on to the car including bleading the clutch. Then got the engine/gearbox lifted up to the enging mount. All ready to fit the sub frame on Sunday.
On Sunday the sub frame was refitted to the car. I needed two helpers to do it tho. Then it was just a case of refitting the front and rear engine mounts. Finnishing off rebuilding the front suspension and refitting the exhaust.

Then I started the car and tested it would go in to gear and it all worked :cool . So I got on with fitting the front bumper and front wheels.
On the road test Ive found the clutch bite is sooner when letting up the clutch. The gear changes were also stiff for the first few changes.
But the only prob that I did have to fix was a front indictor bulb blew, cost me over a fiver for the bulb from halfords!!!!!!!

Car now pulls a lot better now that ive gutted out the cats, has no knocking when the clutch is pushed in at stand still and no whining when in 6th gear. Im happy with my results, but been a long job to fix myself.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Here is a pic of the sub frame ready to get lifted up to the car.

Im glad there is a pit in the garage, makes the job a bit easyer.

Greig

edit, not sure how the pic ended up side ways?
terkin

Post by terkin »

my mates got a pit in his garage uses it for storage :wall be doing my clutch and fly soon cba with it :lol:

good stuff :thumb
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

A pit makes car jobs a 100 times easyer.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I had to strip the front off the car on Sunday, as the joint for the turbo to the pre cat was leaking. I hadnt lined it up correctly when I fitted it after gutting it. If you have never seen down the front of a mk5 astra engine bay. Its a tight fit so I had a night mare fixing it, but got it done. So leak free on the exhaust front, but found one of the drive shaft seals on my newely recondioned box has a small weep of gear oil :cry

Greig
vauxtillidie

Post by vauxtillidie »

Never done. A precat on a 1.9 but if its anything like the leh the. I feel your pain
2006 Flame Red Astra VXR 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70+ AUX In, CID, Bluetooth, Sight & Light, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All Retrofitted by me :)
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I have the car off the road this week. Started out changing the drive shaft oil seal, but to get a bit more room I took the exhaust front pipe off. Then things started to go wrong. A stud snapped off the pre cat then I got gear oil down my back. I thought it was empty and moved the basin to work on the suspension.

Then I had a brain wave, get the ECU mapped and remove the egr from it. I coudnt find a local place to do what I wanted so I removed the ECU and sent it off, or tryed too. The post office was shut for the bank holiday. So it got sent off a day late and so will be a day late back to me. Im off on the ferry to Shetland on Thursady night and not back till Monday morning. So the Astra will be stuck over the pit in the garage, My old man is nipping head about when will the car move. As the garage is needed for other stuff to be done.

I did start to think I shouldnt have started working on the car. :scratch

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Well I've still got the Astra. Not done much to bar servicing, brakes and tyres when needed.
Till a few weeks ago when I thought I must get round to changing brake fluid. Kept putting it off.
So one Sunday I started to replace the fluid. Was easy till I went to last caliper and nipple snapped. Then when removing hose from caliper it broke. So had to remove hose from metal pipe on car. It snapped. So had to replace caliper, renewed all metal pipes for copper ones. Renewed all flexy hoses for stainless steel ones. Then finely new fluid.

But the problems kept coming.
I found a broken spring on the rear. At last MOT was told a front shock had a slight leak. So ordered a new lowering spring kit, as can't get them single or as a pair. As well as new bilstein b4 front shocks with new strut top kits and rubber boots.

Got the springs and shocks fitted. All was good for a couple of days when the abs and Skid lights came on and off a few time till they stayed on.
Got the car plugged in to a computer and the front pas side was the problem.
Took wheel off and checked wiring. Found 1 pin in a plug had snapped of. Needed a new lead and abs sensor. Lead was £12 from vauxhall. But abs sensor is part of hub/ wheel bearing. That cost £180 plus vat from Vauxhall.
All fitted now and car is fine. Turned out an expensive brake fluid change. Something like £700 all in.

Greig
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

"Turned out an expensive brake fluid change. Something like £700 all in."

Ouch! A surprisingly high number of 'snaps' in that post! I hope the car is now operating without fault!
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Aye lots of snapping going on. Every bit i touched went wrong just about. Car is nearly all good now. Just need to get the tracking set up again. As now pulling to the left when steering wheel straight.

Greig
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Greig Sri wrote:Aye lots of snapping going on. Every bit i touched went wrong just about. Car is nearly all good now. Just need to get the tracking set up again. As now pulling to the left when steering wheel straight.

Greig
I have a similar situation with the VXR, although I think that's down to shot ARB bushes. Another item for the shopping list...
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

I got the tracking done. Also camber set too using camber bolts. The car now driving spot on.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

The Astra has now got a new feature. It's a 007 James bond smoke screen.
It's idling a bit ruff and pooring white ish smoke out of exhaust. :cry Will have to get it booked in to a garage to get it checked out.

Greig
Greig Sri

Post by Greig Sri »

Car is booked in to get the smoking Checked out. While at the garage with the car it didn't smoke to show the bloke. Just typical ,hopefully it will be smoking when the garage has it to find what's wrong.

Greig