My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Maracus

Re: My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

Post by Maracus »

humbucker wrote:if you do decide to get one let me know cos if i'm nearby i'll get it on my trade card for you, i think i paid about £39 for mine. might be different now but there will be some discount at least.
I'm all over the trade card like a cheap suit! Got mine a few weeks ago lol.

I have done a stock check and it looks like I'll be collecting the wrench this afternoon, provided I've been paid, Pmsl :lol:
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

£40!! Suits me! :D

So now I can finish the breather system cleanup and get them rocker cover bolts in without breaking anything ;) result!

Can't wait to hear it run with the airbox cut out, I remember how beastly it made my mates v6 Carlton sound, I wonder how it compares with the whole 'dual ram' vs 'multi ram' of the different eras...
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

It's been a successful Friday evening; I have finished cleaning my breathers, and removed the rocker covers. Both covers are clean (ish) and drying, and one head has a clean surface for it to mate onto. Just got to clean up the other bank, all that gasket sealant and old oil sludge round the bolt holes and sides. So tomorrow it's a head start for getting it starting to come back together ;)

Just hope I find my misplaced gasket set as I brought them both a few days apart lol and now only have one pair, D'oh!! :wall
Now it's bedtime coz I got work at 6.. Else I'd still be out there now lol.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Check this out;

They look fooked to me! But how long before they are proper fudged?

Ie, do they justify 350+ on Courtney cams (lmao) or, with regular oil changes, will excessive wear be inhibited? I kind of feel im on a slippery slope towards severe loss of camshalft profile!

Though performance is still strong...
planetc

Post by planetc »

seen worse, if there aren't any ridges across the profile I shouldn't worry
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

planetc wrote:seen worse, if there aren't any ridges across the profile I shouldn't worry

No ridges across only them starts to flat spots from the sides, no scoring either I was more concerned by the blueing on the ends- apparently that's a sigh they've got too hot and as a result, weakened the lobes. But stuff it, the cars going back together now. They can stay there til I find some cheap high lift cams ;) lol
jazzfunkster

Post by jazzfunkster »

Maracus wrote:The car in question...

Oh yeah, and I've rounded the level plug for the autobox. :wall

Once again, a five minute job will take ages. I only wanted to check the level!! Already I want to get the oxy torch out and cut it into tiny little pieces!!
Pmsl
The wheels really lend themselves to the look of the car, excellent profile picture, great daily runner! :thumb
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Many thanks :) I like the look, much better than my previous gls and cdx :)

I got the ol gal up and running again last night, just got to figure out why my cooling fans no longer working. Also still got a rocker cover leak, I neglected to properly inspect the cover so I'm expecting it to be warped or cracked as it was refitted by the book to the letter :)

It sounds good where I cut the front out the airbox, 'stage 2 Maracus performance' airbox. Clean air filter makes it stage 3 lol. I just need to something with the exhaust, it sounds pants and blowy and gay. So either a quiet stainless system, or whatever comes right time right money lol.

I'm currently sat in the car holding 2000rpm with some wynns oil flush to rid any crap in the oil network, and oil change shortly so hopefully I'll stop the worn camshafts getting bad too quickly lol, I have the heaters on full and the big fan out the house leaning on the grille to help where the fans not working and it's just about keeping below 95, so long as I periodically drop the revs every couple of mins to let it cool slightly lol.

Ahh the joy lmao!
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

...Also just noticed a cheeky view of the back of the cav in the background.. Sporting a gay gold wheel! Don't ask, it was a previous owner of my old cav, I think they were taken by the scooby 'blue with gold wheels' thing in the 90's!

It's on there as the proper one has a nail up the sidewall. The second in two months, and the third puncture in three months!

Lol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

hahaha yeah i thought the ghey wheel must have been a reflection of the mud or something, 'nah, he hasn't got a gold wheel, it isnt an impreza' etc... hehe... is that the irmscher twin pillar spoiler on the bootlid? i have one for my v6.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

It is indeed Irmisher (excuse the spelling lol) :) it looks smart straight on the factory lip spoiler :thumb

Kinda what made me notice it initially on the advert, had a kind of 'cosworth' look in the original picture :)

..I wonder what it would look like with a modified lotus Carlton item??

But it's a pig to clean! Between the levels with a microfiche is tricky in the corners!

As for the omega, the cooling fan DOES work, I'm
Not sure if it was one of the plugs I wriggled that sorted it, or if I simply wasn't letting it get hot enough to come in before panicking and turning on the cabin heaters/ speeding up, lol

The oil flush was a good'un, I have to say some lumpy dollops came out, and the fuel filter weighed a ton! So I reckon a good amount of gunge got flushed :)
Now filled with a bottle of halfords' finest and some 10/40 comma to make up the .75litres.

Hopefully thats me done til my LPG kit gets ordered. Thank Fu.. For that!!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

brave man re the lpg kit on these. they're a good idea in principle but almost everyone who has fitted one to the omega v6 has said the same thing; good idea but not worth the hassle.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

humbucker wrote:brave man re the lpg kit on these. they're a good idea in principle but almost everyone who has fitted one to the omega v6 has said the same thing; good idea but not worth the hassle.

Ah. Why's that? Anything to be aware of?
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Not a happy bunny today. My mig got hit by a golf ball today at work. On the roof. Lucky I werent parked 6 inches further forward else it would have gone through the rear window!

And because of the nature of the senior management, I won't get any compo for it. :evil: so it's up to me to foot the bill/ put up with it. Only a small dent but a dent all the same. The paint appears undamaged so hopefully I can get behind the roof lining with the soon-to-be-mine dent removal kit and pop it back out.

:wall lovely.
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Well I had a fun evening! Seeing as I didn't have work today I decided to get stuck in last night and do some odd bits on the mig, had my rear brakes to bits as I wasnt convinced of their efficiency, wheel off and sure enough the inboard pads were sill Like new, the outboard ones were paper thin!

So a good scrape up with a flat screwwy, a new set of pads that I happened upon from a previous brake change and more coppergrease than a sexually active R2D2 and a gentle pry with some big waterpump pliers and they are back together again, and hopefully will keep working freely, lmao!

Only I still got the brake alert on the trip computer so id best check the fronts this weekend as well.

One of my rear pins that hold the pads in was a stubborn fcuker I had to chisel it out with a sharp edge along the middle of it, nearly chopped it in half! I thought no worries I have spare pins but couldn't be arsed to go out in the cold to strip the rear of the other omega (dark, cold and only one jack) so put the pin back in anyway :shock:

Also had my doorcard off to find the little springy door hold mechanism had broken clean off so I removed the bits and put the door card back on lol.

So it's front brakes and a wash needed, also think I'm drawing air in somewhere so will have the inlet plenum off at some point to look for a pinched/sethered vacuum or something. Other than that all seems ok with it just some strange noise under load in 4th I can't decide with my inexperienced ears if it's pinking or a rattle! Though would 'a thought if it was pinking then the management would have at least stored a code?? It's been doing it a few weeks now and hasn't melted anything yet so hopefully it's just something about to fall off...
:lol:
rustyarches

Post by rustyarches »

Nice to se another omega fan,it's such a under rated car,I still prefer the senator if only petrol was cheaper.
Rustyarches vauxhall make them and i break them. cars owned 40+cavaliers,8 calibras, 3 astras, 2 novas, 1 fontera, 2 carltons, 1 senator, 1 omega, 1 corsa , 3 vectras,
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

rustyarches wrote:Nice to se another omega fan,it's such a under rated car,I still prefer the senator if only petrol was cheaper.
omega FTW!
Maracus

My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

Post by Maracus »

Cheers mr arches :)
I Do like the migs I just don't like the thirst lol