My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

An area of the forum dedicated to the other marques and models sat on your driveway (please post only one thread per car)
Maracus

My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

Post by Maracus »

Well this is a good start to a thread... Got to do the cambelt and a rocker cover gasket change this weekend.

Had my locking kit for the belt and my rocker gasket from Autovaux, no probs.
Get to the vauxhall dealer to collect my cambelt kit, sealant and some other bits and.. The order failed to come in! So if it's not in by tomorrow morning I can't do anything- I need the sealant for the gaskets, and the locking kit for the cambelt is on hire so time is ticking.. Need the car next week and can't get time off work to do it, there's no way I'm going out there in the evenings after work I'm too pooped by then and don't want to have to keep going out there each evening to chip away at it just want to get it done. :wall So that'll be another week on hire. Cheers mr courier...
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Maracus

Re: My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

Post by Maracus »

The car in question...

Oh yeah, and I've rounded the level plug for the autobox. :wall

Once again, a five minute job will take ages. I only wanted to check the level!! Already I want to get the oxy torch out and cut it into tiny little pieces!!
Pmsl
Don't eat too many mushrooms... Else you won't have 'mush-room' for anything else!!! Hahahaha
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Tidy Omega :thumb

ye, we've all been there, 5 min jobs turning into 5 day jobs.Just put some fat mole grips on if you can get them to fit. Don't the Omegas have dipsticks to check the ATF?
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Cavalier342 wrote:Tidy Omega :thumb

ye, we've all been there, 5 min jobs turning into 5 day jobs.Just put some fat mole grips on if you can get them to fit. Don't the Omegas have dipsticks to check the ATF?
I should'a brought a Carlton lol! Mole grips will come out tomorrow, but for now I've brought the cav out to play :lol:

5 min jobs taking 5 days that's the story of my life! Pmsl!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

mini facelift mv6 eh... what colour is it, can't tell if it's black or green! bad luck on the courier front, what a pain in the ass, especially if it costs you time and money. i hope it gets sorted soon, need to come over and have a play!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Nice mega. I miss mine but I don't miss the pathetic headlight - my R reg had the weakest light in christendom, a common complaint IIRC.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

humbucker wrote:mini facelift mv6 eh... what colour is it, can't tell if it's black or green! bad luck on the courier front, what a pain in the ass, especially if it costs you time and money. i hope it gets sorted soon, need to come over and have a play!

Yes indeed! It's a metallicy sort of dark green lol
Got the bits I needed yesterday, so started to get stuck in, only to be pulled away for a hospital run for a friend, which kind of wrote off the rest of the day! So it's back to the slog shortly... if I can get the new belt on by tonight then the kit can go in tomorrow's post. Seeing as I received it Friday morning, with luck and a decent return courier service I shan't get charged for another week...

Just picked up some new plugs too so theyll go on with the new rocker cover gaskets. The previous owner reckoned he'd changed them but... Really??? What a joke of a job!! It looks like he's been there as a lot of torx heads are damaged- hell the fuel return wasn't even tight! But the rocker covers are leaking more than a creampie addict!! What a mickey-mouse cowboy!! And I cut grass for a living!!!
lowrider dave wrote:Nice mega. I miss mine but I don't miss the pathetic headlight - my R reg had the weakest light in christendom, a common complaint IIRC.
The headlights on my 1st omega were without doubt, absolutely pants. My 2nd omegas lights were pretty damned good, both N reg, this ones are HID's being mv6! So they are in a different league lol.

I managed to get the bung out the transmission in the end with a biiig hammer and a chisel :thumb so really need a new level bung, but it's gone back in... With the same hammer and chisel, and some modelling grade threadlock! Lmao place bets on when the trail of ATF begins!

Lol :lol:
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

if you need some auto box gaskets check my JPAT link in the 'recommended auto services' section. also, the colour of your mv6 looks to be the same as my elite, one of the ones i'm going to break in the new year, might be of interest to you? it had a full front end respray not so long ago too haha!

Xenon headlights on the Elites and MV6's are ace. You definitely need some Elite creature comforts in there though my friend. Does the car have the MV6 leather in it too?
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

It don't, but I struggle to get my arse out there twice a year to treat the cav seats, Pmsl!

From what I gather mine is quite a poverty-spec mv6 lol!

Seat elements work tho ;)

My aux belt tensioner is a bit noisy when spinning it by hand, the slightest of play can be decteted in it (very light) so are they serviceable or throw it away and get another?

Was going to spray with wd and spray grease and stick back on otherwise ...
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Cavalier342 wrote:Tidy Omega :thumb

Working day three.

Lol

Cambelt all went on ok, til I pulled out the locking kit. One cam sprocket is a tooth out; I reckon I'd put the keys in upside down so it hadn't quite locked properly. So now have to faff and set it right later.

On the plus though, I haven't broke anything yet, my aux belt tensioner bearings are all greased and ready for service, I have new plugs and new rocker cover gaskets to go on, oh and I cut the front of my airbox out, Pmsl! BWWWAAAARRRRRPPPP!!!

It's surprising how much crap is in the way of airflow in there!

Result :thumb
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

looks like a good one you have there mate
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:looks like a good one you have there mate

Cheers pal ;) it's tidy enough, but rear arches will need replacing before many winters, overall it's tidy enough, a scratch or two that I have eased with some g3/auto glym paint rennovator and a good damn polish and wax needed, theres a dink in the bonnet, looks like a previous owner got pissed at something and twatted it with a tool but it's not major, I'm getting some dent removal tools for Christmas so I'll have a go at easing the visual impact on that, but overall, it's decent enough. Just in the process of a damned good service lol then she's going on gas :thumb
Cavalier-C20LET

Post by Cavalier-C20LET »

gas converstion will be good, i know a local boy thats got one for the older omega , had it on a 2L made a big diffrence
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

dont forget to do those breathers while you're at it or you'll be changing the cam cover gaskets again in a few weeks hehe
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

Cavalier-C20LET wrote:gas converstion will be good, i know a local boy thats got one for the older omega , had it on a 2L made a big diffrence
Ay, it'll mean I can justify running a v6 auto as my daily runner- seeing as I get similar economy from a 260 brake 4x4 turbo!!

humbucker wrote:dont forget to do those breathers while you're at it or you'll be changing the cam cover gaskets again in a few weeks hehe
I have the guides from OOF to hand- I'll probably tackle that tonite as it may be a bit more relaxed than cursing and swearing at my cambelt timing!

That and modifying my airbox further to incorporate a front shield to help keep the heat out where I've cut the front out, and cut more of the front out, but I've retained the cold feed from behind the grille. Also got to have the scuttle off under the wipers, the other day I was clearing out my wash wipe system (pressure washer and a wash tank full of tfr prove very useful) and I noticed water leaks through that top panel and drips... Right onto the top back of the engine! I wonder what's that doing to the electrics there! :o

I'm also going to at some point adress the rear brakes, when you need to anchor up it seems to take a lot of work to reign in, I suspect to find some seized callipers. But that can do another day, I just want easy stuff tonight!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Yeah scuttle drip is a classic; right on to the coil pack! Premature failure a gogo ha ha!
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

humbucker wrote:Yeah scuttle drip is a classic; right on to the coil pack! Premature failure a gogo ha ha!

That's what I was worried about lol any symptoms to look out for?

Just gave the throttle and breather bridge a damn good clean so im getting through it :) will do the rest of the breather system tomorro when I find a bit more time lol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

when the coil pack on those goes, as a result of getting wet, then you can usually see the outer casing has come away from the internal components, it will probably look like it's split. everyone moans about it being an awful job to do but tbh i didnt have problems, it's not the greatest position to get at but it wasn't too bad.

this is what you're looking for in a moisture damaged coil pack. you can clearly see how it's been split:

Maracus

Post by Maracus »

How easy is it to get to to see it in position? Or need to remove to see? I'll look when I'm next out there. The car runs fine, except one thing I just noticed recently, on idle every minute or two it'll suddenly splutter a cycle like a big one off misfire then carry on like nothing happened... That is all. The first time I noticed it I thought it was like a sudden shock to alternator load as the cooling fan kicked in, dragging the engine down for a brief moment. But the more ive caught it doing it, the more I think it's more like a misfire.

Erm... Wet coilpack???

Also, I shat a brick when I cracked up the throttle to inlet plenum torx bolts with the 3/8 drive, then saw a torque figure of 8 nm/lbft can't remember which now but hey, nothing broke lol. Which got me thinking, where the heck do you find a torque wrench what has a scale starting so low? Mine goes from like 30 up.
planetc

Post by planetc »

A bike shop?
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

planetc wrote:A bike shop?

I'll check it out nice one :thumb

Just had a look at the coil pack, can only see the one side of it but that looks good. Also pulled off the breather pipe that goes to the breather block (the small one) and it was blocked solid! So that explains the previous owner claiming to have changed the rocker gaskets, yet they still leak chronically. Also took the opportunity to score up and plastic prime the 'ECOTEC' cover, just got to let that harden then rub down and spray it, probably with the last of the nortilous blue I have from my previous mig. (it's actually a lighter green but hey) I reckon that would look alright. I don't know maybe get a small lettering template made up and print the wording 'multi ram system' or 'Maraculus performance' or something for a laugh lol but that seems like effort!

I just hate the word ECOTEC!
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

my 8Nm jobbie came from halfords:

http://is.gd/aFcuEd
planetc

Re: Re: My daily runner- mv6 omega :)

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:my 8Nm jobbie came from halfords:

Who happen to sell bikes.... see, aren't you impressed, lol
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Maracus

Post by Maracus »

humbucker wrote:my 8Nm jobbie came from halfords:

Aah yes I nearly brought one years ago but the guy was a proper muppet ended up walking out!! Lol
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

if you do decide to get one let me know cos if i'm nearby i'll get it on my trade card for you, i think i paid about £39 for mine. might be different now but there will be some discount at least.