Locking wheel nuts

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
iancav6

Locking wheel nuts

Post by iancav6 »

Not on the Cav but still relevant.Went to look at the handbrake on Mrs 206 GTI and found the locking wheel nut socket is rounded off :cry: The dowel pins in the socket are all chewed aswell as the bolts on the car.So i'll have to drill them all out and get some replacements.

This is the second time i've had issues with locking nuts failing,the ones I have on the Cav split the socket aswell so i got that repaired and strengthened and is all ok.

Can anyone recommend a decent make of locking nuts?
planetc

Re: Locking wheel nuts

Post by planetc »

In my experience these problems are usually caused by them being too tight. The Peugeot are usually no problem, unless somebody does them up silly tight.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
humbucker
Club Admin

Post by humbucker »

Pretty sure wheel nuts are supposed to be circa 120Nm which doesn't sound a lot but people do have a tendency to overtighten them which might be your issue, as Paul says.
planetc

Post by planetc »

humbucker wrote:Pretty sure wheel nuts are supposed to be circa 120Nm which doesn't sound a lot but people do have a tendency to overtighten them which might be your issue, as Paul says.
Some are much lower than 120.... I found when testing and cross referencing with a torque wrench many years ago, that I could tighten the bolts on a pdi to recommended spec without the wheel on the ground, just spinning freely on a lift.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
Rage

Post by Rage »

cavaliers are 110Nm according to our book at work same as alot of 90's vauxhalls. 90's fords are around 90-100Nm can't think what a 206 is at the moment but its surprising how 'loose' the recommended torque is
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
iancav6

Post by iancav6 »

Finally got them off,had to drill 3 of them out :cry: Great way to spend a day of my holiday. :x

Must look at the positives in the situation though.
a) The handbrake works now
b) I can get all 4 wheels off
c) I have a much larger, albeit blunt collection of drills
d) I have a larger collection of chisels and punches
e) I have boosted my local engineering companys profits by purchasing numerous drills.

Note to self;write to peugeot and tell them not to make their locking wheel nuts from chocolate