standard or not?

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
ilovedmymantas

standard or not?

Post by ilovedmymantas »

While i appreciate sticking 17" wheels on a cav , rather than standard 14" makes it look prettier, I often wonder if it's worth it. As i've read elsewhere, "standard is the new cool".
As far as i'm aware the trade-off is faster top speed and lower acceleration. Well, with my 14" wheels i can already break the speed limit. They may not look as good but i'd rather have better acceleration.
Picture the scene. You're on a road with two lanes leading up to traffic lights. You've sat patiently for 20 mins in the inside lane, knowing that as soon as you cross the lights the road narrows and after that the outside lane is right-turn only. You see all these f*****rs in their vans, bmws, mercs( insert tw*ts as necessary) use the outside lane to jump the queue.
Do you
(a) look pretty
(b) accept they're smarter than you for using the road to their advantage at the expense of other drivers
or
(c) accelerate away from the lights, knowing you can stop them from jumping the queue because you're faster

Answers on a postcard please :lol:
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Kevwaggy

Re: standard or not?

Post by Kevwaggy »

I put 17's on but then I compensated for the slight lack in acceleration by making it 200bhp :P
"You offer someone a sincere compliment on their moustache and suddenly she's not your friend anymore"

I've decided I would really like a sex change, preferably from 'none' to 'absolutely shitloads'
gsi pie

Post by gsi pie »

17s :lol:
My valver brings all the boys to the yard, dam right its cammed and carbed, dam right it pops and farts, I would show you but the fuker won't start!
Lowrider Dave
Club Admin

Post by Lowrider Dave »

Faster top speed? You car can already do the speed limit! What's the hurry? So there are pr1cks on the road, doesn't mean you have to race around trying to prove your better as that just shows you aren't. Be patient, be cool, look smart and drive carefully. Beside 17s give a harsh ride.
Lowrider Dave.

Archer 2.0 GLS
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Kevwaggy wrote:I put 17's on but then I compensated for the slight lack in acceleration by making it 200bhp :P
LMAO.... :lol:
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

I've always stuck to standard myself, don't see the point in sticking 17's on, as the ride will be too harsh for my liking and I hate low profile tyres. Crap in the snow, uncomfortable and useless on anything but tarmac.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Rage

Post by Rage »

i put 17's on to raise my cav as i lowered the suspension to improve the handling but with 195/45/r15 vauxhall 5 spokes on yeah she looked great but i've now got a dent in my fuel tank so the 17's have kept the handling but made her more practical. i am thinking of putting the tiny 15's back on though just need to get tyres again
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

only gsi's and turbos look good standard. normal standard cavs look crap :lol:
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Not to me they don't :p I quite like the look of an early L trim model, it gives it that almost classic look. Yes the turbos look nice, I must admit, but then so does every other clean Cavalier.
Previous:

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Chip Pan Dan

Post by Chip Pan Dan »

i can appreciate a nice clean cav, but i could never leave one alone :lol:
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Better hope they don't hit you and claim that you were racing them... 99% of insurance companies will void your policy if they believe you were racing... even this sort...

I plan to have 17's... let them speed off... Karma will get them...
I use to beat BMW's in my old Cinquecento... You may get in front... you then have them riding your rear bumper
Rage

Post by Rage »

the 17's have also helped my fuel consumption so they are slowly paying for themselves :)
sriguy wrote:whats the excitment with broken exhausts.
Rage wrote:must be one of these "your not making enough power till you break something" things or just the "plain childish p*** everyone off with sheer noise" factor :lol:
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Go for OEM 15" wheels if you want a change GSI slabs, 6 spoke Cesaro's or fan blades.
TurboDan

Post by TurboDan »

Whats the obsession with beating bmw's or mercs etc..? I don't get it
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

Me neither... It's audi's that should get done over!
Previous:

decgsi90

Post by decgsi90 »

iangsi wrote:Go for OEM 15" wheels if you want a change GSI slabs, 6 spoke Cesaro's or fan blades.
X 2 :thumb oem all the way!
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

Your car is an SRi right?

Get some 15" Fanblades for it.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

The problem with fanblades . They don't look right. Two are always facing the wrong way. I want all my wheels to look the same!

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

Hayward691 wrote:Better hope they don't hit you and claim that you were racing them... 99% of insurance companies will void your policy if they believe you were racing... even this sort...

I use to beat BMW's in my old Cinquecento... You may get in front... you then have them riding your rear bumper

Surely if i'm in the correct lane they're trying to get into, it's them that are at fault and racing. I'm not aware of a law against how fast you get to the speed limit. Or am I wrong?

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
planetc

Post by planetc »

Depends on the copper.
"No the temperature gauge doesn't work........
we've driven 150 miles today........
the heater went cold last Thursday........
they check the level when it's serviced don't they?"
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

ilovedmymantas wrote:The problem with fanblades . They don't look right. Two are always facing the wrong way. I want all my wheels to look the same!

That's the case with all the standard alloy wheels apart from GSi and pre-facelift CD slabs and Diplomat/Expression wheels.

Putting on different size alloys shouldn't have any affect on performance so long as you put on the correct size tyres.

Putting on a tyre that is too big or too small however, will affect the gearing. It will also put you speedometer out.
Freakmandu

Post by Freakmandu »

I prefer standard. My ex changed the wheels on my '76 Celica ST - handled like a bag of shite after that so I made him change them back. Been standard all the way since then.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

ilovedmymantas wrote:
Hayward691 wrote:Better hope they don't hit you and claim that you were racing them... 99% of insurance companies will void your policy if they believe you were racing... even this sort...

Surely if i'm in the correct lane they're trying to get into, it's them that are at fault and racing. I'm not aware of a law against how fast you get to the speed limit. Or am I wrong?
My brother had his r33 skyline impounded for raging it up to 30mph...
Copper said it was wreck less driving... He also got a section 59...

Just need to take a chilled approach to driving...
They my be in front of you, but your driving the better car :)