Tyre size check

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
Mikebmth

Tyre size check

Post by Mikebmth »

Hi all,

Sorry to harp on but just been and picked up a set of 16" multispoke Tsw's with correct offset etc....Tyres on them are 195/55/16 so will these fit without clearance issues?

Mine is lowered -40mm on Gmax so maybe a bit lower, just want to check otherwise will have to fit full new set of boots on them..
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
DiplomaXE

Re: Tyre size check

Post by DiplomaXE »

what width are the wheels?
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

They'll fit. 55 profiles are lower than the ones you got on there now.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

Best way to check... Stick them on and look... Do lock to lock checks... Don't see why they wouldn't, but as said... Depends on width of wheel...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Sorry my fault the tyres are 205/55/16 the rims I believe are 7.5 inch wide x 16 inch diameter....

Hope they not too wide??
Free Parking is a bonus, leaving my Cav in a carbon dust filled carpark is not.....
Cavalier342

Post by Cavalier342 »

They'll fit. Seen loads of Cavaliers with 205 width. As Chris said, put one wheel on the front end and do lock-to lock and bounce it to make sure there's no rubbing.
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

Mikebmth wrote:Sorry my fault the tyres are 205/55/16 the rims I believe are 7.5 inch wide x 16 inch diameter....

Hope they not too wide??
What ever others have suggested, I can assure you that -
the 205/55/16 (std Vectra ST size) on the 7 inch ST rims I have now, when I bought them and put them straight on as they were, utterly fouled the centre top of the front arches, rubbing the edge of the metal and wearing away the archliner, also,
The rear tyres pick up the frontbottom edge of the rear arch and bends it over flicking the metalwork out, down by the end of the sill, makes a right mess of the sidewall/edge of the tread and weird chirping noise. Ruins the tyre.
This was all on a set of gmax -40mm springs, not at std height - that may be a different matter.

The profile is your problem. 205/50's seem fine, I use 205/45 and the ST rim has a std 49mm offset. this means the ST wheel spreads the tyre out a half inch either side extra than say 6" turbo wheels do. this is the problem. The centre rib of the tyre is in the same place but taller and compared to a narrower wheel, the sidewalls are now half inch further out than they used to be.

Check your wheel offset and width and make totally sure.
Hayward691

Post by Hayward691 »

I was running 205/40/r17 with an offset of 35 I think...
Lowered on -40 gmax...

Best way to tell is to stick one on and slowly lower it until it either catches or clears...
Mikebmth

Post by Mikebmth »

Damn it more money to spend it seems then, they are 205/55/16 and wheel is 7.5 x 16" so quite wide also...Were fitted on a Astra mk3 previous and no problems apparently, mine is lowered -40mm on Gmax so a bit gutted, tyres aint going to be cheap so maybe a while before they go on!!
DiplomaXE

Post by DiplomaXE »

You can trial fit one at each end but it's the hard bumps that you hit when on the road that will be the problem. just going lock to lock you will spot where it's going to hit, but you need to drive it with them on and rag it around a bit, especially to reveal the front rubbing.
iirc, one your own or maybe just one one passenger and any sort of mild fun round a bend or a roundabout got the front rubbing, ditto the rear, or try any sort of a bump or drain cover with a full tank and one passenger and it got the rear arch ripping the rear tyre to shreds. the noise was horrible too.
7 or maybe 7.5 inch width also gets the sidewall a tad closer to the front spring cup, although mine hasn't rubbed there, but the wrong offset wheels can do I have heard.
keep to et49.