New tyre labelling

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
ilovedmymantas

New tyre labelling

Post by ilovedmymantas »

I've been looking for a couple of new tyres and I'm not finding this new eu labelling very helpful. Three indicators: fuel economy , wet grip & noise 'pollution'.
I couldn't care less about the noise. The faster you go, the louder it is, typically on wider & faster roads with less population to hear it and let's face it, 3Db?
Secondly, I live in Scotland and visit wales a lot. I always buy tyres biased towards wet grip!
The bit I have the biggest problem with is fuel economy. Let me know if it's just me but in my mind reducing the friction between tyre and road is reducing grip? I've googled to boredom and can't find an adequate answer. The Michelin site on the subject says 70% of accidents are in dry conditions, yet all tyre sellers state fuel economy and totally ignore dry grip. I'd rather be safe than save a few quid in petrol.
So, is it just me? :scratch
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
Cavalier342

Re: New tyre labelling

Post by Cavalier342 »

Bit of an odd one, init? :lol:

I was looking at new tyres as well recently, and yes as you say it's all a bar graph now next to each tyre, from A to F or G I think. A is best, G is worst obviously.

I think it depends on how rigid the sidewall is, for if there is less give in the sidewall, there will be less rolling resistance. I've had a couple of part-worn Firestones on my old Cavalier and the sidewalls felt like they were made out of concrete.....

Tread pattern also depends on how good the tyre is at removing water from under it... Personally I would go for wet grip also, as you never know what's on the horizon... Fuel economy is all about gearing and the right pedal anyway so maybe a driverless car would save a few pennies but let's be honest it's all mixed driving anyway out there :thumb
Previous:
China Blue 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier L 18SV
Kings Blue 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier LSi Auto C18NZ
Smoke Grey 1994 Vauxhall Cavalier V6 C25XE

Am I a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper? Well that depends on how much I've had to drink...