Tyre decision.

Chat about alloys, steelies, sizes, offsets etc. Also: rubber reviews and Photoshop requests. Post 'em here!
iangsi
Club Admin

Tyre decision.

Post by iangsi »

Right my cav motorsport has just got a MOT advisory for cracking on the side wall of all 4 tyres, 2 Nankang's & 2 Fate-O's which still have good tread depth & have been on the car since I bought it. My question is bearing in mind I have only done about 5000 miles in the last 4 years do I buy new & have the same problem down the line or hunt down good quality 2nd hand matching tyres or matching pairs of tyres ? The tyres currently on the car would not have been my choice when buying them though. Opinions gratefully received.
humbucker
Club Admin

Re: Tyre decision.

Post by humbucker »

Depends on your budget. Toyo Proxes T1-R are excellent all-round performance tyres and won't break the bank.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

A tricky one indeed. I've got the same dilemma with the CD auto. I was thinking of picking up a new set of continentals as they are most readily avaliable in the size I need. If you can find a set of second hand tyres for a good price though then why not. As long as they are in good nick of course.

Avoid Michelins if you can. I used them for years in 175/70r14 form on the LS without trouble but I've had two lots in 195/60r14 that have developed bulges in them causing vibration at high speeds.

You're using 195/60r15 aren't you?
I got some Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres in that size for my Diplomat. Very pleased with them so far and thoroughly recommended.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

humbucker wrote:Depends on your budget. Toyo Proxes T1-R are excellent all-round performance tyres and won't break the bank.
I've got a pair of Toyo's which I bought new on my silver GSI & I do even less mileage in that & they have started to go the same way.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

James McGrath wrote:You're using 195/60r15 aren't you?
I got some Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance tyres in that size for my Diplomat. Very pleased with them so far and thoroughly recommended.
Yes I'm using 195 60 15's, there's a guy on e-bay got 2 Continental Premium contact 2's with 6mm of tread for £65 open to offers I think I'll make him an offer. I've checked Blackcircle's & they are £114 delivered for 2.
James McGrath
Club Admin

Post by James McGrath »

The continentals sound promising.

Check how old they are first. Look out for the 4 digit code and don't get them if they are older than 5 years.

Try to use them a bit more often. Tyres will crack faster when they are not being used.
If not, covering them up and maybe even using axle stands to lift them off the ground will increase their life span.
ilovedmymantas

Post by ilovedmymantas »

First page I found with a variety of info
http://www.hometyre.co.uk/mobile-tyre-f ... the-tyres/
" It's not rust. It's age-related patina " ;)

1980 vauxhall cavalier MK1 1.6L, 1982 opel manta berlinetta 1.8s, 1985 opel manta 2.0 gte, 1990 cavalier 2.0 gl ,1994 cavalier sri x20xev

-1995 cdx x20xev

---------------
Matt
dazzlersri

Post by dazzlersri »

Pretty good bit of information there. I didn't realise tyres had a date on them !
K343 RRL 1992 SRi 8v SEH - RIP
L750 BUY 1994 4x4 turbo
Robsey
Club Admin

Post by Robsey »

Manufacture date and safe working life notation is not something people are told about.

All you tend to read about is the sizing.
Width in millimetres x Aspect ratio and wheel rim diameter in inches.
(Strange use of different formats of measurement).

You rarely hear about speed rating and other codes moulded into the tyre walls.

A bit crazy, when age, type and ratings can have a huge effect on your ability to stop, maintain traction, or influence the likelihood of a sudden tyre failure. All of course safety considerations.
iangsi
Club Admin

Post by iangsi »

Well I bought the continentals & when they arrived I measured tread depth & found one tyre only had 5mm & the other had 4.5mm of tread & not the advertised 6mm, so tried contacting seller & nothing started a dispute with e-bay & got £20 back , so now to get them fitted. I also found a brand new Bridgestone Potenza in the right size on a Honda steel wheel local to me for £25, so that is now in my possession, just got to find one to match now.